Am I aiming too high? What was your first? What do you think?

If you want a Kelly, there's been lots of great posts about why that is the right thing to do. Wait, I mean, save up and accept no alternative.

But here's this - at 24, I loved Kellys. I'd loved them intensly since 19 in fact. But it was not the right time.

I was paying off school, starting a professional job where I rode public transport in a city with no parking. What did I carry? A messenger style shoulder bag. A gorgeous sling I could keep hands free when I had to bring work in, or home. While at the office it went over one shoulder and became dressy. VERY similiar to an Evelyne. If I had known about that style, I would have nabbed it and used it religously.

A few (ok, many lol) years later I have advanced my career and a Kelly isn't as hard to acquire now as it would have been then. It seems like a natural progression.

If you can be on a bag ban for many, many months, even years, then perhaps that is the right plan for you. If you can appreciate the love and handworking in a Massai or an Evelyne, then perhaps that bag could be your initiation to Hermes. You can ALWAYS sell it later. And that way, you can be sure of the leather and colour as you get older and if your taste changes.

Either way, looks like you're saving for an H bag! Good luck!

Love this:heart:

If a Kelly is what you want, then that's what you should get. Everything else would be 'filler' bags which are also nice but at the end of the day only take money out of your Kelly fund.
My first bag was a Kelly and I never regretted the purchase.
You can start with a nice pre-owned or vintage piece. They might make taking the leap a little easier. Should be in mint condition though, otherwise there's no point owning a Kelly (IMO).

My first H bag was a Kelly, and I was 23.....You should get what you really want, age doesn't really matter!

well said. and actually when you love the kelly even any other h bag won´t satisfy you you may even think "well that eveyln money could have been put towards my kelly" so wait and save it will be worth it.

If you've set your heart on a Kelly then go for it, you won't regret the purchase imho. At the grand old age of 58 I purchased my first H bag, a fab red leather Garden Party twilly bag lined with Tohu Bohu silk print - it was love at first sight! PLEASE don't leave it as long as me to purchase your Kelly!

No, you're definetly NOT! You HAV eto get whatever you WANT, every time you go for something "second best" it is a step away, a setback from what you really want! I was thinking the way you are, but everytime I checked out an H bag in store, I didn't like it. So I'm thinking about going for a birkin after christmas in Paris, or a kelly. IF I'll find something I like.

In addition, your kelly will keep her value in the resell market. It's more of an investment than any other fashion purchase you'll ever make.

Go for it! Have dicipline and style and it'll be yours!

If the Kelly is the bag you want, no need to spend money on a bag you do not love as much, KWIM?

I have wanted a Birkin, and wanted it from the store. It is my own little thing that I finally realized- that for my first bag, I really do want it from the store. So I just sat down, looked at my expenses, and began to figure out how much I needed to save for how long :yes:

I am finally there... just time to find the bag!! but really, it should be the bag you love!!

:yahoo:

Hi Razorback, I have been reading your stories and I think you're a real sweet heart. I believe others have given you plenty of sound advice. Yes, do aim high and enjoy the waiting/learning process. It's really part of the fun IMO.
In terms of saving for your kelly, a new one from the stores will require US$16 of savings per day for 1 year. A vintage mint condition will set you back US$8-12 per day. Try and find a way to save your $$$. Cutting down on starbucks surely helps.

MEGS - Yippy:yahoo::woohoo::yahoo:

Am I aiming too high, wanting my first H bag to be a Kelly? I mean, should I get a Herbag or a Garden Party bag first? I do like the look of the Herbags-- do any of you have one? Are they hard to get? What are my options with a Herbag-- colors, etc?​

My SO says I'm nuts for wanting a Kelly at 24 years of age and I should take baby steps with something this high-end and I can't help but thinking maybe he's right. It'd be a lot easier for me to save for a Herbag than a Kelly; I feel like I'm never gonna get there!​

What was your first H bag and why? What do you think; am I reaching for the stars here?​

TIA! :flowers:

I don't agree with your SO. I think your first Hermes bag should be what you realy want. If that is a kelly then go for it. My first Hermes bag was a kelly at the age of 26. I don't regret it either. And like others have said, it won't do any good to waste money on other smaller bags because you would be using money that could go into your kelly savings fund.

I think you should go for it. If you know a Kelly is what you want, then save for that bag. You'll have buyer's remose along the way if you don't. Now, if you get tired of saving for that bag, you would then know it's not to be.

I hope to have my first Hermes Kelly bag in my hot little hands by March 2008. I think about it each and every day. I don't plan on spending hardly any money on my vacation so that I can put it in my bag fund. I have very specific goals set until I get my Kelly. Trust me, it has been hard. I have had to really curb my shopping trips, etc., but I know it's going to be so worth it.

Good luck to you!

Hi Sarah...

I dont think you're aiming too high. If a Kelly is what u want, then u shouldnt settle for less imo. My 1st H was a 30 clemence bj birkin that I bought 2nd hand. I got it when I was about to turn 26 I think, just a couple of years older than u. I'm turning 29 soon, and right now I'm on to my 6th H (there's no cure for the addiction, LOL!). I have since sold the bj birkin.

Where do u plan to get your 1st H from? Direct from H or from eBay, private shops??