am a paranoid?

Jun 2, 2010
Hi, the few times I sell on ebay I always check the feedback and bidding history of my bidders. Is that being paranoid? I am currently selling a preowned high-end purse (not a high-dollar amount because it's older and has some flaws) and I am worried about one of my bidders. She seems to be bidding on a lot of similar purses. I know that this doesn't necessarily mean anything, she could just be buying to resell or trying out her luck but I am just a little uneasy. I am always so worried about switching, and recently I have been reading about buyers claiming that the box they received was empty. The bidder doesn't really seem to leave a lot of feedback for her purchases, but the recent ones she has left have been negs. Not received, fake, etc.

Now aside from wanting to know if I am paranoid, I'd like your opinion on what i want to do, regardless of who wins: take a video of me packing the purse in the post office and actually mailing it out, zooming in on the address. I will of course add signature of delivery confirmation. That way, I have proof that I did send the purse in the event that I get a problem buyer.

Am I crazy AND paranoid???

Anytime you have an uneasy feeling about a bidder, cancel and put on your BBL. It doesn't matter if you are paranoid, trust your instincts.

Any bidder who only leaves negatives is not someone you want to get involved with. When you cancel and block, you will most likely get an email asking why, just ignore it!

Yup, always trust your gut. I check the feedback of my buyers and their bidding history as well. You have to be diligent as a seller these days in order not to be scammed.

how do i cancel a bid? am i allowed to do that with no reason other than i feel uneasy about it? i did a little more searching and it seems like she buys and resells.
also, won't it make the bidder angry? what is to stop her from bidding again under a different id?

sometimes i wonder if the stress of selling on ebay is worth it... :sad:

I can't remember off the top of my head on how to cancel bids. However it could make them angry. what you then need to do if you cancel a bid is BLOCK them so they can't bid again. If they message you you can just be honest and polite. It is hard, but it is part of the game. And you never have a gurantee that a situation will go well. You can take pics etc, but just know paypal doesn't accept pics for evidence.

Lastly, tehre is not really anything you can do to stop them from bidding under another ID. Unless you can figure out what that is. Although I don't believe that everyone is malicious and crazy on ebay. It is just those ones that spoil it for everyone else.

thanks for all the responses... it doesn't seem like all her purchases have gone bad. i will have to think about it and see if i will cancel the bid and block her. i also checked her recently sold items and one of them is what i am 99.99 % sure is a fake purse of the same brand i am selling. the rest were authentic, though. she seems to buy and resell, so it doesn't look like i should worry about getting a fake one back, but one can never tell. i am just worried about what i will say if i get an email asking WHY i cancelled the bid. i've never been in this situation before.

if paypal will not take pics as proof, what recourse does a seller have against a buyer who claims they never got an item? or a buyer who returns a different purse?

You can always add security tags to your items before shipping them. I bought a huge bag of like 100 for about 15 bucks (I sell a lot of my LV bags and I'm paranoid someone will switch them with a fake one) and you can clearly state in your auction that returns will not be considered unless the security tag is still attached.

As for the bidder - you should trust your gut and block her.

Everyone has given good advice. I have had a lot of crazy things happen, but never a bait and switch or an empty box. I have asked ebay thos "what if" questions though. They have told me that if a situation like that arises to CALL. I personally find ebay a lot more helpful than paypal, but I am sure everyone has a different opinion.

One time I did receive a SNAD against me, and when they returned the bag it was all crinkled up and used. So what ebay did was go ahead and let her have the refund AND they paid me too. So basically they coughed up 200 for me.In most cases ebay/paypal has no way of knowing who is telling the truth, but they helped me out because they saw I had done so many transactions on ebay with very few problems. That does not mean they will not help a newbie though. They really do IMHO try to be fair.

So long story not so short. Keep everything in ebay messaging, have good communication, try not to stress, go with your gut, and something weird happens CALL ebay ASAP.

ok, thanks everyone!!! i'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow. i have less than 100 feedback and am mainly a buyer with only a few high-end sold items (always got positive though). my bidder is a very high-feedback ebayer so if a problem arises, i am obviously the low man on the totem pole. oh well, we'll see.

in all my paranoia about what the buyer has been bidding on, i forgot to check the items she is selling... and this may mean nothing (again, it looks like she buys to resell), but one of her items is the exact same item as what i am selling. as much as i'd like to think that she is hoping to buy my item cheap to resell at a higher price, it also makes me think that there is the possibilty that i am "competition" for her item. but would a high-feedback ebayer risk a non-paying strike? where can i check if there are any non-paying strikes against a bidder? i'm sorry if i sound like i'm going around and around in circles. i don't want to risk any issues, but i also wouldn't want to label a bidder as "bad" without proof.

You don't have to label them anything, but this is one that I would most definitely cancel and block! If she has the exact same item, what is to keep her from buying yours and returning hers to you?

You can't check on strikes, they are not available to anyone but the person who got the strike.

Anytime you have an uneasy feeling about a bidder, cancel and put on your BBL. It doesn't matter if you are paranoid, trust your instincts.

Any bidder who only leaves negatives is not someone you want to get involved with. When you cancel and block, you will most likely get an email asking why, just ignore it!

agree here.. the beginning of something that is not going to end

in a positive way..more in the negative zone is you ask me...

ok... thanks everyone! now to:

find out how to cancel a bid
put someone on my bbl
pray i don't get a nasty email asking why she was blocked
AND
pray harder she doesn't bid under a different id out of spite (long shot, i know, but i'd rather think of the worst case scenario and be prepared!)

:smile: