Always getting asked if my purses are fake in public

I've never been approached like that. I think people test the waters and know who they can get away with that type of behavior with.

On the other hand, I have a lady at my church who proudly wears knockoffs and always wants to prove how I'm wasting my money because no one can tell the difference between my real and her knockoff.

Sadly, these types of people tend to be self-righteous for all the wrong reasons. :nono:

You see, this is why I would get really annoyed if somebody had the nerve to demand how much my accessories cost. It's so hypocritical. There is every chance those people spend money on holidays, expensive hobbies, or perhaps large quantities of cigarettes or alcohol. And those forms of expenditure represent money down the drain, but an LV bag can be sold for a good amount of money should you decide to let it go.

As for the boobs, depending on which kind she had they may not last much longer than a good-quality handbag. Plus she will have to spend a small fortune having them either removed or replaced.

You could say something along the lines of 'thank you very much for your judgement, and your unsolicited feedback. By the way, I see you have fake boobs. They must have cost a lot of money, and they look great. It's a shame you can't sell them if you get bored of them, but that's not the point - the point is that YOU enjoy having them, right?'

Exactly and I know she was just pressuring me to talk so she could give me a hard time about it. Also I could care less if someone gets plastic surgery but people dont need to be getting all on their moral high horse about spending money on handbags when they themselves spend money on things like boobs and botox. I mean I could just as easily say that its ridiculous to spend money on such things but then again im not a judgemental nosey body. This same woman also flipped out when she found out I had a cleaning lady which she only found out about because she was ease dropping on a conversation with a co worker who asked me for a recommendation. Anyways thankfully I dont work with her anymore.

...This same woman also flipped out when she found out I had a cleaning lady which she only found out about because she was ease dropping on a conversation with a co worker who asked me for a recommendation. Anyways thankfully I dont work with her anymore.

You will have heard the expression 'it's all right for some'. Usually accompanied by pursed lips and a sniff. It's called jealousy.

As you say, it's very misplaced jealousy because those same people might earn more than you and they almost certainly indulge in their own luxuries. I think there is something apparently frivolous about an expensive handbag, and the fact you have a cleaner is none of her business - there could be any number of reasons for that, other than the simple fact that you have every right to employ somebody to help you at home. It sounds like she has a chip on her shoulder. I suspect you are notably younger and better looking than she is :lol:

.... that is guaranteed to bring the worst out of some people.

I've never come across such behaviour before. Generally, people are quite reserved here. It's an Asian thing (although I can't necessarily vouch for my Filipino mother's friends, they tend to be nosy as "aunties" often are). Since I don't carry a very popular LV bag (discontinued Ellipse), it does crane necks and turn heads a little but more out of curiosity rather than anything else.

Sadly, there are almost as many fakes as there are authentic pieces where I live (mostly to do with ignorance about the counterfeit industry and its links to other illegal and nefarious activities, not necessarily about how much money one saves vs buying original). We get plenty of tourists from Korea and China as well and they all tote Vuitton and MCM canvas so no one really bats an eyelid.

You know your bag is authentic. You know you've worked and/or saved hard for it and you bought it for yourself, not anyone else. They know NOTHING and you have all the power here.

Yep, I dress like a bum 99% of the time.

Yup, I buy a lot of my clothing at Marshals. I buy statement necklaces, scarfs, earrings to dress up my inexpensive outfits, put a smile on my face (cheapest accessory) & I'm good to go. I feel better when I clean out my closet that I didn't spend a lot on some items. But I LOVE my bags (that helps keep the smile on my face).[emoji4]

We carry or wear designer stuffs, its for the people who know. For the people who dont know and start judging whether it is fake or not, then they do not know a thing about designer stuffs, better ignore them.

I can't comprehend how someone can feel good about themselves by putting others down! I've not faced such rude behavior but I wouldn't let them get away with it... I'd probably exclaim 'some people are so obnoxious!' really loud while giving them a cold stare. My personality is no-nonsense and confrontational so I wouldn't let bad behavior like this go unchecked...

But then again you should pick your battles and sometimes it is just better to look away.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a right reason to be self-righteous????

I don't think you're wrong. But reasons aren't always so clear cut. Generally speaking, self-righteousness is a bad thing. More specifically, the display of self-righteousness. In the case of the woman in church, she's self-righteous about being superior to someone else, but is hypocritical because she uses counterfeits in order to do so.

What if she was carrying carrying fake, and has no clue or idea about Vuitton, price tags and the counterfeit industry, only carrying the bag because she liked it? Someone somewhere with knowledge and experience can and will judge her for doing so, but keep it to themselves. That's immediate self-righteousness. But then you tell the experienced LVoer that that woman doesn't know anything about fakes. If she continues to judge the other woman and attempts to shame her in public?

Feeling self-righteous and being self-righteous aren't necessarily the same creature.

I'm self-righteous sometimes but I've never set out to deliberately make hurtful comments towards others. If one feels morally superior to others, it's normal, even reinforced because society generally agrees with a set upon standard of morality. For some, a priest is self-righteous but for others, he isn't.

It can be mean, it can be ugly, but it doesn't have to be.

Reactions: Sonmi999
No. I've always had curious minds inquiring about my bags or admiring them but no one has been rude about it. I've lived in several areas, some where LV isn't something to be blinked about and other areas where it's super uncommon. It's been the same across the board. I don't know what weight has to do with it though and that was a bit off putting in your initial message.

Take the with a grain of salt. Don't say anything. Not every action needs a reaction (or a response to their rudeness).

This happened to myself and my sister a few times, generally the people who make these comments or looks are generally jealous or have never seen a real Vuitton before and worse still i've seen them carrying some terrible knockoffs at the same time.