always curious about this...

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
i notice a lot on shows like sex and the city or shows where the wife is wearing her engagement ring on her right ring finger, and her wedding band on her left ring finger (traditional). for instance, charlotte from satc always wears her engagement ring on her right finger, and her band on her left.

i don't see this here in colorado and it seems to be more of a new york thing, no?

just curious. why do women do this? i remember when my cousin got married (even back in 1990) in nyc, at the wedding, she had her engagement ring on her right hand and her new wedding band on her left.

i never knew the reasoning or significance to this. or is it just a fad? a european thing?

thanks!

If you have a wedding band that has substantial diamonds (ie. a baguette and a large stone -both 2 together is too much bling and the engagment ring "gets lost" An example would be the wedding band in the engagment thread (very pretty)with separate pave bands on top and bottom. I think it is like eva longoria who had too much bling on one hand. when you have a beautiful diamond you want the beauty of it to be appreciated on it's own - right hand.
And so yes, i see this quite a bit and also a lot of ladies I know who have 4+ carat diamonds do not wear them on a daily basis.
Personally, with insurance I don't understand why someone would selectively enjoy their jewelry.;)

Last edited:
well for the wedding, you are supposed to have your engagment ring on your right hand, because i was told you're supposed to have the wedding band put on with nothing in between it and your left ring finger, as that line goes to your heart. maybe that is just a Jewish thing, I don't know, but I know I wore my engagement ring on my right hand at my wedding. I am also from NY.

After being married, for the most part I wore both on the left, however, it was a mistake because the wedding band wore down the prongs on my engagement ring significantly to where i have to get the head replaced i think.

i now wear just my wedding band, and if i did wear my engagement ring i'd wear it on the right hand now.

yes, i love wearing all of my bling, as well. knowing everything i have is insured, it gives me a huge peace of mind. i figured it's wasted if tucked away in a drawer or a safe somewhere. they're meant to be worn and loved every single day.

well for the wedding, you are supposed to have your engagment ring on your right hand, because i was told you're supposed to have the wedding band put on with nothing in between it and your left ring finger, as that line goes to your heart. maybe that is just a Jewish thing, I don't know, but I know I wore my engagement ring on my right hand at my wedding. I am also from NY.

After being married, for the most part I wore both on the left, however, it was a mistake because the wedding band wore down the prongs on my engagement ring significantly to where i have to get the head replaced i think.

i now wear just my wedding band, and if i did wear my engagement ring i'd wear it on the right hand now.

ahhh...maybe so. my cousin is also jewish (as am i, but i was born in connecticut and moved out west when i was 9). that makes sense.

i wear both rings on my left however i do know people that don't. they wear their e-ring on the right and wedding band on the left, like OP said. i actually thought about doing this, too, but that didn't last.

oh, and i'm from the east coast.

When I was shopping for e-rings in NYC, a couple jewelry SAs suggested wearing the e-ring on my right hand if the ring did not sit flush with the band. I especially heard this when looking at estate rings, which not only wouldn't sit flush, but would be hard to match with a modern wedding band.
I seem to remember reading that in some parts of Europe, e-rings are often worn on the right hand, that may be another factor?

actually in a jewish ceremony the ering is left on your left and and the wedding band (which mudt be plain) is placed on the righ fore finger.

Reactions: morningperson
actually in a jewish ceremony the ering is left on your left and and the wedding band (which mudt be plain) is placed on the righ fore finger.

we had a jewish ceremony with a rabbi and the whole sha-bang. we did neither. just had my husband place the wedding band onto my finger which already had my engagement ring.

although we were officially married before the ceremony—just me, my husband and our best man and maid-of-honor went to a room privately with the rabbi and signed the ketuba (jewish wedding certificate) and then we were officially married before we were "officially" married in front of everybody.

Just thought I would post this in regards to the Jewish marriage/ring customs.
When I was married, my wedding band was with diamonds, so I had my grandmother's (who had passed away) put on my index finger. I am very traditional and customs are important to me.

" For a marriage to be legal, Jewish law requires the groom to give the bride something worth at least a penny. For 1,400 years, Jewish grooms have accomplished this prerequisite with a ring. Not just any ring, though; it must be a simple band without piercings or precious stones. Its smooth, circular shape represents the marriage as an unbroken union. Don't worry -- you can still get the ring engraved. Go ahead and put all the mushy stuff you want inside.
Don't forget the ring is first placed on the bride's right index finger, not her ring finger (she can switch it later). This custom springs from the ancient belief that the right index finger is directly connected to the heart"