Alumna Bag - thoughts?

J.T.

O.G.
Aug 15, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at smaller more structured bags from various designers and while I was browsing the BV website I came across the alumna bag.

Quickly dropped by BV and had a chance to try it on. It’s really light and seems quite user friendly. Also it is from TM’s last collection, which is a big bonus. :smile:

It’s form the women’s collection but I find it very unisex. What do you guys think?

Does anyone have this bag and could maybe share their thoughts on the bag and how it wears?

IMG_8201.JPGIMG_8202.JPGIMG_8200.JPG

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at smaller more structured bags from various designers and while I was browsing the BV website I came across the alumna bag.

Quickly dropped by BV and had a chance to try it on. It’s really light and seems quite user friendly. Also it is from TM’s last collection, which is a big bonus. :smile:

It’s form the women’s collection but I find it very unisex. What do you guys think?

Does anyone have this bag and could maybe share their thoughts on the bag and how it wears?

View attachment 4422473View attachment 4422474View attachment 4422475
what are you holding in your right hand?
is that a camera bag?
is it yours? or another candidate?

Reactions: J.T.
re Alumna in particular, it looks very lady like to me because of the flap, and because of the small handle, the flap is not reaching the bottom to make the look more unisex (like a messenger bag would look) and that small handle looks a bit odd, too
i would vote for a Camera bag, they are roomy, not bulky, secure full zip on the top and a fabulous slip poket at the back!

what are you holding in your right hand?
is that a camera bag?
is it yours? or another candidate?

Well spotted :smile: It’s my BV camera bag indeed, that I absolutely love, but sometimes I wish it was just a little bit more roomy - so kind of looking for an in between size between the camera bag and my messenger.

Reactions: ksuromax
sorry for my brutal honesty, but if you are asking, i assume, you are not sure, and this is only my opinion that you can ignore completely! :flowers:

No need to apologise, I appreciate your honesty. I have no issue carrying a women’s bag so whether it is deemed unisex or not that important.

In my friend circle I will forever be the ‘bag lady’ regardless of what bag or briefcase I am carrying.
I am more concerned how the nappa and hardware would wear as my other bags are light calf or VN which is more durable, and wonder if others have found the bag functional as an everyday bag?

No need to apologise, I appreciate your honesty. I have no issue carrying a women’s bag so whether it is deemed unisex or not that important.

In my friend circle I will forever be the ‘bag lady’ regardless of what bag or briefcase I am carrying.
I am more concerned how the nappa and hardware would wear as my other bags are light calf or VN which is more durable, and wonder if others have found the bag functional as an everyday bag?
well, then go for it, as far as i know knappa BV bags, they tend to soften, get butter-y soft as they age, and hw is pretty much indestructible.
the corners might start showing signs of wear though, but this will be sooner or later depending on how YOU (ab)use the bag
functionality is a very personal thing, imo
what a lady would carry on a work day might be totally different, hence a lady's assessment might not be quite fair for you. (as a lady i would not carry Alumna as a 'daily' bag coz it won't fit even a half of what i carry on daily basis)
I think, you need to try It with your daily stuff and see how you feel, e.g. easy access to your stuff (or you need to play bag tetris), how it opens (qickly, or fussy), how it feels on the shoulder (bulky, or, heavy, etc)

I think it looks fine on you. We are way passed the “this is for boys” and “this is for girls” mentality in my opinion. Wear the bag you like!
sometimes such differentiation is not because of sexism, but because of functionality and purpose.
I am 'a girl', but this bag is too lady-like for me
i prefer something more 'boyish', i.e. something that will not poke me in the elbow (that small stiff handle that does not drop down), or something that i wouldn't be able to squeeze and squish should the be a need to
something that i would throw over the shoulder and forget about
i know, a lot of guys carry Birkins, with stiff handles and rigid corners, that's their preferred style and way to carry a bag, but it does not work for me. I carry my BV Men's tote :smile:

I agree, wear what you like! However, if you will feel self conscious carrying the bag worrying if it is too feminine, then you might not freely enjoy it :yes:
I have a 5 year old nappa bag (hobo, however) and I don't find it too soft, it still has some shape. I am sure if you consistently overfilled that bag daily, it would lose shape overtime. Another idea is a custom bag insert to maintain its structure.

well, then go for it, as far as i know knappa BV bags, they tend to soften, get butter-y soft as they age, and hw is pretty much indestructible.
the corners might start showing signs of wear though, but this will be sooner or later depending on how YOU (ab)use the bag
functionality is a very personal thing, imo
what a lady would carry on a work day might be totally different, hence a lady's assessment might not be quite fair for you. (as a lady i would not carry Alumna as a 'daily' bag coz it won't fit even a half of what i carry on daily basis)
I think, you need to try It with your daily stuff and see how you feel, e.g. easy access to your stuff (or you need to play bag tetris), how it opens (qickly, or fussy), how it feels on the shoulder (bulky, or, heavy, etc)
You don't have to backpedal so hard. :lol:

Hi Everyone,

Hi Everyone,

Love this!

Last edited:
Hello OP! Did you end up getting the alumna? I chanced upon this last night. First time in a BV boutique and got my first BV!
This style caught my eye. Love the design and the very comfortable strap. No feedback yet but looking forward to using it for weekends.

Reactions: J.T.
Hello OP! Did you end up getting the alumna? I chanced upon this last night. First time in a BV boutique and got my first BV!
This style caught my eye. Love the design and the very comfortable strap. No feedback yet but looking forward to using it for weekends.

Hi Ljlj! I actually ended up going for a different style. Was browsing the BV shop in Berlin and got th Cassette bag in black :smile:

BV is such a wonderful brand. Will post reveal later :smile:

How are you enjoying the alumna?

Reactions: Ljlj