Alto repair choices ** help!! **

maxter

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
My vintage alto is one of my favorite workhorse bags. I can fit nearly anything into it and love it for travelling, as a tennis bag and general workhorse when I need to carry a lot. I NEVER worry about where I set it down. I treat it with Blackrocks and obenhauf and it is has a fairly dark patina. Some staining but it doesn't bother me at all.

A few weeks ago I broke one of the straps. My husband dropped it off for me at the LV store and they gave me several options.

I can get one anchor tab replaced (the broken one).

I can get all four anchor tabs with NEW HARDWARE and two NEW straps.

Here is my question:

Should I get the vachetta replaced on the bottom??

Will it looks too odd with new vachetta straps and a dark patina'd base??

Looking forward to your opinions! Thanks. :smile:

Attachments

• photo-13.JPG
    photo-13.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 217
I would redo all the vachetta as well. I'm actually thinking about redoing my Cabas Piano. I don't want to sell it since it has sentimental value to me.

New anchor tab but reuse the OLD hardware is my choice

I would redo all the vachetta- so that it all patinas the same and it's kinda like a whole new bag :smile: GLD

Love the alto. I would do a combo of all of the above - replace all the vachetta but keep all the old hardware.

Replacing the bottom vachetta would be optional - since mostly can't see it but for the side corners. I would also think about how thick the new bottom vachetta would be, given the original is very thick, and LV are using thinner raw materials.

GL

Love the alto. I would do a combo of all of the above - replace all the vachetta but keep all the old hardware.

Replacing the bottom vachetta would be optional - since mostly can't see it but for the side corners. I would also think about how thick the new bottom vachetta would be, given the original is very thick, and LV are using thinner raw materials.

GL

Thanks! Is the hardware different also?

I was thinking the same think on the vachetta. It's not quite the same as it used to be.

Thanks! Is the hardware different also?

I was thinking the same think on the vachetta. It's not quite the same as it used to be.

Replacing all the vachetta is usually about half the cost of the current retail price of the bag (or last retail price if discontinued). IMO I think that's expensive. I would probably just replace the anchor tab and definitely keep the old hardware. It looks like yours is real brass. I know you said you don't mind dark patina but can you post pics of the bottom?

Replacing all the vachetta is usually about half the cost of the current retail price of the bag (or last retail price if discontinued). IMO I think that's expensive. I would probably just replace the anchor tab and definitely keep the old hardware. It looks like yours is real brass. I know you said you don't mind dark patina but can you post pics of the bottom?

I should have taken pics of the bottom before my husband brought it in for me. He had to go down to Chicago and I gave it to him at the last minute without thinking.

I may have some old pics in my iPhoto. I'll check.

They quoted $400 for bottom and $400 for straps and anchors.

I should have taken pics of the bottom before my husband brought it in for me. He had to go down to Chicago and I gave it to him at the last minute without thinking.

I may have some old pics in my iPhoto. I'll check.

They quoted $400 for bottom and $400 for straps and anchors.

Do you think your straps have thinned out and might break elsewhere? Maybe just to be on the safe side- replace the straps and anchors. Would they let you keep all your old hardware?
I don't think it would look weird to have light straps and a dark bottom- you'd really only see the bottom sides of the bag. Only you would see the entire bottom of the bag! I had a vintage Mezzo and that bag was made very well. You really could tell the difference with the thickness of the older vachetta and canvas.

Pics of the bottom from a year or two ago. I cleaned it up thoroughly with saddle soap then treat with blackrocks and obenauf. I'm sure it is a bit more beat up as it has a few more months of use here and there. Especially when we travel!!

I'm sure the corners are a bit more beat up. SHOOT - should have taken pics .....

Attachments

• AltoBottom.jpg
    AltoBottom.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 146
  • AltoSize.jpg
    AltoSize.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 141
Do you think your straps have thinned out and might break elsewhere? Maybe just to be on the safe side- replace the straps and anchors. Would they let you keep all your old hardware?
I don't think it would look weird to have light straps and a dark bottom- you'd really only see the bottom sides of the bag. Only you would see the entire bottom of the bag! I had a vintage Mezzo and that bag was made very well. You really could tell the difference with the thickness of the older vachetta and canvas.

Yes - I definitely nned have to have all four tabs replaced. Another one looks fairly worn.

I am going to call this AM to talk to somebody there. Yesterday i was talking to my husband who was talking the the SA.

Do you think they would give me an honest opinion on quality of old vachetta v. new??

Wow! That's the patina I think we all strive for- so even and the leather is so nice and shiny. Now that I've seen your pics, if the handles are still in good condition (strong) I'd just replace that one tab. But if you think the handles are really thinning and might snap or break soon- then replace the straps too. I'm sure you can get the new straps to patina eventually especially with the products you have.

Just read your post--how much are they charging just to replace the four tabs?

Pics of the bottom from a year or two ago. I cleaned it up thoroughly with saddle soap then treat with blackrocks and obenauf. I'm sure it is a bit more beat up as it has a few more months of use here and there. Especially when we travel!!

I'm sure the corners are a bit more beat up. SHOOT - should have taken pics .....

Oh my, how gorgeous! If it was mine, I would not replace the bottom.

Wow! That's the patina I think we all strive for- so even and the leather is so nice and shiny. Now that I've seen your pics, if the handles are still in good condition (strong) I'd just replace that one tab. But if you think the handles are really thinning and might snap or break soon- then replace the straps too. I'm sure you can get the new straps to patina eventually especially with the products you have.

Just read your post--how much are they charging just to replace the four tabs?

Agree! I would not let that bottom vachetta go!