Alternative to YSL College Bag? And how do YSL and Chanel compare in terms of quality & durability?

bklner2014

O.G.
Feb 5, 2014
Hello all!

I like the look of the YSL College bag, but find the logo to be huge. Do any of you happen to know of a similar design (chevron pattern, smooshy looking lambskin, and roomy on the inside), but with a more discreet logo, that I can consider?

If you own both YSL and Chanel bags, how does YSL leather quality and bag durability compare to that of Chanel? I have a Chanel lambskin WOC and find it to be pretty durable and fuss-free...

I appreciate your thoughts! :smile: Here is a picture of the YSL College Bag for reference (hope it works).
upload_2017-8-16_0-13-11.png

Hello all!

I like the look of the YSL College bag, but find the logo to be huge. Do any of you happen to know of a similar design (chevron pattern, smooshy looking lambskin, and roomy on the inside), but with a more discreet logo, that I can consider?

If you own both YSL and Chanel bags, how does YSL leather quality and bag durability compare to that of Chanel? I have a Chanel lambskin WOC and find it to be pretty durable and fuss-free...

I appreciate your thoughts! :smile: Here is a picture of the YSL College Bag for reference (hope it works).
View attachment 3796269
How about the Chanel Coco Handle in calfskin with Chevron quilting? It's new for this season (photos from BragMyBag):
Chanel-Reversed-Chevron-Coco-Handle-Bag.jpg

Chanel-Reversed-Chevron-Coco-Handle-Bag-2.jpg

This Chanel calfskin is nice and soft to the touch, while being more resilient to scratches than lambskin.

Hi @averagejoe , thank you for taking the time to suggest an alternative! :smile:

The Coco Handle is very pretty (especially in the quilted style), but probably a bit too formal for my casual style. I think the difference comes down to the less structured top handle as well as the hardware. I like the black hardware of the Saint Laurent bag and think I'll use it more given its low-key vibe. Having said that, your suggestion provides food for thought, and perhaps I'll keep a lookout for the new season's Coco Handles in the event they are available in a darker hardware. If I recall correctly, there isn't too much of a price difference between these 2 bags.

Thanks!

Reactions: averagejoe
It reminds me of the Gucci Marmont bags, of which I prefer the velvet versions... But I think that the YSL is nicer. The logo is not so conspicuous since it's the same color as the bag. Good luck! I'm going to follow this thread so I can see what else is suggested lol.

Hi!
My sweet hubby surprised me with my first premier bag for our anniversary a few months ago; Lanvin quilted medium sugar bag in aubergine (I've also seen the color refered to as eggplant). It's lambskin, very discreet branding & gorgeous. Perhaps you might be interested. The color isn't available anymore, but the black color is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-18-02-07-08.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-18-02-07-08.png
    172 KB · Views: 868
It reminds me of the Gucci Marmont bags, of which I prefer the velvet versions... But I think that the YSL is nicer. The logo is not so conspicuous since it's the same color as the bag. Good luck! I'm going to follow this thread so I can see what else is suggested lol.
Yes, I agree with you that the YSL logo is nicer and less conspicuous than the Gucci one. However I read a few comments on the Saint Laurent thread that the black hardware is prone to damage (chipping or peeling, can't remember which), so that makes me hesitant... I really like the black hardware though, it is so low-key and will be easy to match with casual clothing! :smile:

Hi!
My sweet hubby surprised me with my first premier bag for our anniversary a few months ago; Lanvin quilted medium sugar bag in aubergine (I've also seen the color refered to as eggplant). It's lambskin, very discreet branding & gorgeous. Perhaps you might be interested. The color isn't available anymore, but the black color is.
Looks like a lovely bag! Thank you for the suggestion. Do you like carrying it?

Looks like a lovely bag! Thank you for the suggestion. Do you like carrying it?
You're welcome ☺. Yes. I find myself wanting to use the bag fairly often. It's comfortable to carry, not hevy & fits MY essentials with extra room. It's well made & I've never had a quality issue so far. The logo is subtle (love this) and the lambskin feels soft & luxurious. It's similar yet pretty different from the ysl college though.

You didn't ask for this, but I want to mention some thoughts in case it's helpful to you &/or anyone potentially lurking who's interested.

There's no top handle. The strap isn't adjustable. It's a shoulder bag. I wear it that way & can crossbody; but I'm petite, 4'11 with sm-med frame. I doubt anyone much taller/larger could do this without it looking awkward.
The ysl has a top handle & the bag can be worn in multiple ways.

When you open the flap, you see that the bag is made up of 3 open divided compartments (the college isn't). The interior also has a zip pocket & an open pocket. Of course it's all good for organization. Some people may not like it though.
They could've made the design a typical 4 corner box shape without dividers, but the bag wouldn't look as interesting nor be as useful IMO. I prefer it the way that it is.

Screenshot_2017-08-20-22-40-16-1.png

It has a magnetic snap closure & it's quite strong. I like to close it by joining the magnets partially, but not lining them up so it won't snap. It stays closed & opens easier (not that it's extremely hard). I don't see any scratching from doing this. I've done this when storing it, but I probably will implement this when using the bag. The college snaps too, but I haven't handled the bag so I don't know if it opens easily.

There's no outside pocket. The college has this.

The medium sugar bag is comparible in size to the large college. The sugar is larger than the medium college, dimension wise. I'm not sure which bag actually fits more though.

The bag's hardware looks silver in the stock photo to me; it's listed as gold on Lanvin's site. IMO mine is a muted gold IRL.

I saw that you like the dark hardware. I personally haven't seen anything that is so extremely similar in details to the ysl college.

I think both bags are nice in their own way. It all depends on preference/needs. With me & the Lanvin it's love .

I hope you find the right bag for you!