Alternate (non Paypal!) payment--Google Checkout, etc

shoplove

Jun 26, 2008
the harbor
Hi all,

I searched for another post related to non-Payfail modes of payment, but I couldn't find a single thread generated around the topic, so I thought I'd start one.

My selling on ebay has dissipated after a couple of bad experiences, including a chargeback and a "returned" item which was actually an empty box. However, I still have a few things that I wanted to let go of but wanted to sell instead of donate or give away, but Paypal scares the bejeezus out of me.

My decision is to list my items but require Google Checkout for payment. However...I've never used it. I scanned the website and it seems pretty self-explanatory, but is there anything else I should know? Am I actually better protected against chargebacks? Are buyers scared of anything that's not Paypal? And is GC actually the better option, or is their an Option C that I'm missing?

Thanks!

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
I've been accepting it on Bonz and haven't had any problems but there are far fewer GC transactions than PP.

As I understand, Google checkout (now Google wallet) is more friendly to sellers than Paypal is.

As for chargebacks, payments on Google are directly from the buyers' c.c. accounts and it's my understanding that GC verifies the account. In fact, sometimes I get notice of a payment but when I go to process it, google is still validating the account and the payment isn't approved yet. Usually, within an hour or less, the payment has been completed and as I said, in about 4 dozen transactions, I've never had a problem.

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
You cannot use google checkout with eBay but you can with Bonanza. If eBay catches you using GC they will take action.

cbarrus

Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 9, 2006
I have been using google checkout on Bonanza. I have only had about 6 transactions (only because I don't sell that much), but, so far, no problems at all. And, the transfer of my payments to my checking account is automatic in two days after payment. I do think that buyers are leary of google because they are used to PayPal, but, if you have something they want, most of them will give google a try. Buyers still have the protection offered by their CCs, but google does not set themselves up as judge and jury the way PayPal does.

shopaholism

Jul 23, 2011
the cornfields
I find that GCO is easier to use for those who haven't used PP or just don't have PP accounts (because most people have a Gmail, and GCO will automatically take their info from that)...so I use it fairly often on Craigslist transactions where I need to ship something out. Like previous posters said, though, Ebay does not like GCO (because it's a competitor!)

shoplove

Jun 26, 2008
the harbor
As for chargebacks, payments on Google are directly from the buyers' c.c. accounts and it's my understanding that GC verifies the account. In fact, sometimes I get notice of a payment but when I go to process it, google is still validating the account and the payment isn't approved yet. Usually, within an hour or less, the payment has been completed and as I said, in about 4 dozen transactions, I've never had a problem.
Thanks BB for the specific chargeback info! This is definitely what I'm most worried about, probably unreasonably but I just don't think I'll ever feel 100% safe selling online again.

And thank you all for all your advice and information!

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
Thanks BB for the specific chargeback info! This is definitely what I'm most worried about, probably unreasonably but I just don't think I'll ever feel 100% safe selling online again.

And thank you all for all your advice and information!
You're welcome. I don't know that you're immune from chargebacks, but it seems that their validation process somehow verifies the account and billing address vs. shipping address.

shoplove

Jun 26, 2008
the harbor
So, could I get your opinions on this message I received from a buyer of a bag I listed on Bonanza? I originally had my seller profile set to receive Paypal and Google Checkout, and then a couple of days ago removed Paypal. I had also received an offer on my bag two days ago from a buyer, and decided to accept this morning. I received the message pasted below, not sure if I'm legitimately sketched out or just overly suspicious...

"Hi. Thank you. I am ready to pay. I do have a question. I am an eBayer and new to Bonanza. Where is the PayPal? I do not have a Google account, plus I thought Bonanza uses PayPal too like eBay. I feel safe with PayPal because it protects us both. Please advise. Thanks."

I'm creeped out. Paypal does not protect us both...it's also a little sketchy to me that she mentioned protection. Or maybe she's just creeped out by anything not Paypal??

shopaholism

Jul 23, 2011
the cornfields
^Probably the latter, since she may have bought Ebay's hype that PP is the only safe method of e-payment. If it makes her feel better (and if you're willing), maybe you could invoice her privately this time (and save your FVFs too)

shoplove

Jun 26, 2008
the harbor
^Probably the latter, since she may have bought Ebay's hype that PP is the only safe method of e-payment. If it makes her feel better (and if you're willing), maybe you could invoice her privately this time (and save your FVFs too)
Thanks...it's on Bonanza, so there aren't really any Final Value Fees. I really don't want to accept Paypal no matter what. Even if it's a safe transaction, I don't really want to give a cent of my money to that company. That violin story? Yikes...

shopaholism

Jul 23, 2011
the cornfields
Thanks...it's on Bonanza, so there aren't really any Final Value Fees. I really don't want to accept Paypal no matter what. Even if it's a safe transaction, I don't really want to give a cent of my money to that company. That violin story? Yikes...
ooof, yeah. You might want to show her the story and explain why you want to boycott PP--you might make a believer out of her too! (Though, admittedly, had I been the buyer in that situation, I'd dredge up some other picture of a smashed violin and completely lie about having destroyed my own instrument! This is why I'm glad I don't play an instrument that needs to be carried around!)

skislope15

Aug 11, 2010
Does anyone know how to contact google checkout other then by email? My google wallet says my credit card was not charged for a purchase because it was cancelled, but my visa has been charged? I cant find any method to contact them other then email

Jul 12, 2007
So, could I get your opinions on this message I received from a buyer of a bag I listed on Bonanza? I originally had my seller profile set to receive Paypal and Google Checkout, and then a couple of days ago removed Paypal. I had also received an offer on my bag two days ago from a buyer, and decided to accept this morning. I received the message pasted below, not sure if I'm legitimately sketched out or just overly suspicious...

"Hi. Thank you. I am ready to pay. I do have a question. I am an eBayer and new to Bonanza. Where is the PayPal? I do not have a Google account, plus I thought Bonanza uses PayPal too like eBay. I feel safe with PayPal because it protects us both. Please advise. Thanks."

I'm creeped out. Paypal does not protect us both...it's also a little sketchy to me that she mentioned protection. Or maybe she's just creeped out by anything not Paypal??
I'd reply back that Bonanza allows seller to choose what methods they accept, and you do not accept PayPal, and that your listing does not state that you do.

Jul 12, 2007
Does anyone know how to contact google checkout other then by email? My google wallet says my credit card was not charged for a purchase because it was cancelled, but my visa has been charged? I cant find any method to contact them other then email
Its only email. I have worked with google in a technical capacity in a partner status, and they did not even let me have a phone number for them. If you need to call someone, it needs to be your credit card company.

skislope15

Aug 11, 2010
Its only email. I have worked with google in a technical capacity in a partner status, and they did not even let me have a phone number for them. If you need to call someone, it needs to be your credit card company.
Thank you! My first experience with them will be my last for sure