Alterations Question?

ashleyjena

O.G.
May 8, 2010
I am pretty unfamiliar with alterations and what can be done/the cost....

I got this dress as a total steal, and it's a pretty nice designer, originally very expensive. However, since it is more of a gown, I'm worried I won't get a lot of wear out of it.... But if it were to be altered to a shorter dress, I'd probably wear it a lot. Can this be done? Would it cost me way more money than it's worth? It has a few layers, maybe 3.

I feel so terrible doing this to such a beautiful gown, but I just cannot even think of a time to wear it as a long dress and while it could be pulled off as a maxi, maxis just aren't my thing and I would only wear it very sparingly....

Ok, I feel awful because its my dress from the $1 outnet birthday sale! It's by Pucci, and I just didn't anticipate it looking as....fancy? Here:

DSC00395.jpg

I'm also going to do some kind of alteration using extra material to cover my cleavage in the middle (instead of the white tank top)

i think you can definitely alter that dress. just take it to a professional, who has dont custom made clothing, or is an expert seamstress. g'luck

Oh wow! Way to go ashley!! There are a few posts I've seen of people that go stuff at the birthday sale. So lucky!

Yes, the alterations can definitely be done but I would try to get an experienced tailor/seamstress. I know you don't want to spend a lot of money but it's worth it if you get what you want. Also, you saved so much on the dress...you can put a bit extra into alterations!

Find a good seamstress. I found one by asking a friend in the wedding business where a good place to do a wedding dress was, figuring if they could do that they could probably do easier things.

Yes totally it can get altered easily. Wow 1 $?
Lovely dress.

Yes! $1, it was a steal on the outnet, I can't wait til next years sale, my fingers are crossed to get another ticket!!

Oh wow! Way to go ashley!! There are a few posts I've seen of people that go stuff at the birthday sale. So lucky!

Yes, the alterations can definitely be done but I would try to get an experienced tailor/seamstress. I know you don't want to spend a lot of money but it's worth it if you get what you want. Also, you saved so much on the dress...you can put a bit extra into alterations!

Thank you!! Yes, it was amazing to get something from the sale! I agree, I'm going to try to find an experienced tailor/seamstress to get it to work for me, I'd rather spend the money and come out with something lovely that I'll wear all the time!

Find a good seamstress. I found one by asking a friend in the wedding business where a good place to do a wedding dress was, figuring if they could do that they could probably do easier things.

What a great idea, wedding dress seamstress..... I'm going to try that, thanks!

I don't think it looks that fancy as a maxi at all and part of its appeal IMHO is the length. However, if you really want it shortened, it will cost you maybe $50 to get it hemmed.

I don't think it looks that fancy as a maxi at all and part of its appeal IMHO is the length. However, if you really want it shortened, it will cost you maybe $50 to get it hemmed.

Thank you for saying that because I was so worried. Maybe I'll just get it hemmed so I can wear it as a maxi for a while then decide?

or... you can take the dress to an experienced tailor/seamstress, explain to her what you want to get done, and get a quote first. If it's too $$$, you can always back off and say you're going to think about it first. :smile:

btw... what an awesome deal for a Pucci dress for $1!!! The dress is beautiful, and the style looks very appealing as a maxi and you can easily pull it off by wearing nice sandals with your hair tied back. Would get a lot of use during summer time. Whatever you've decided on would come out great. Have fun :smile:

or... you can take the dress to an experienced tailor/seamstress, explain to her what you want to get done, and get a quote first. If it's too $$$, you can always back off and say you're going to think about it first. :smile:

btw... what an awesome deal for a Pucci dress for $1!!! The dress is beautiful, and the style looks very appealing as a maxi and you can easily pull it off by wearing nice sandals with your hair tied back. Would get a lot of use during summer time. Whatever you've decided on would come out great. Have fun :smile:

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your opinion because I just wasn't sure about the maxi look, but I think I will go for it. :biggrin:

I think it looks casual actually. Beautiful dress. You should keep the length. Everyone in my part of town is rocking maxi dresses and they look gorgeous and effortless - not fancy.