Alterations Question?

ashleyjena

O.G.
May 8, 2010
I am pretty unfamiliar with alterations and what can be done/the cost....

I got this dress as a total steal, and it's a pretty nice designer, originally very expensive. However, since it is more of a gown, I'm worried I won't get a lot of wear out of it.... But if it were to be altered to a shorter dress, I'd probably wear it a lot. Can this be done? Would it cost me way more money than it's worth? It has a few layers, maybe 3.

I feel so terrible doing this to such a beautiful gown, but I just cannot even think of a time to wear it as a long dress and while it could be pulled off as a maxi, maxis just aren't my thing and I would only wear it very sparingly....

ashleyjena

O.G.
May 8, 2010
Ok, I feel awful because its my dress from the $1 outnet birthday sale! It's by Pucci, and I just didn't anticipate it looking as....fancy? Here:

DSC00395.jpg

I'm also going to do some kind of alteration using extra material to cover my cleavage in the middle (instead of the white tank top)

Charmosa

Nov 23, 2008
Oh wow! Way to go ashley!! There are a few posts I've seen of people that go stuff at the birthday sale. So lucky!

Yes, the alterations can definitely be done but I would try to get an experienced tailor/seamstress. I know you don't want to spend a lot of money but it's worth it if you get what you want. Also, you saved so much on the dress...you can put a bit extra into alterations!

ashleyjena

O.G.
May 8, 2010
Yes totally it can get altered easily. Wow 1 $?
Lovely dress.

Yes! $1, it was a steal on the outnet, I can't wait til next years sale, my fingers are crossed to get another ticket!!

Oh wow! Way to go ashley!! There are a few posts I've seen of people that go stuff at the birthday sale. So lucky!

Yes, the alterations can definitely be done but I would try to get an experienced tailor/seamstress. I know you don't want to spend a lot of money but it's worth it if you get what you want. Also, you saved so much on the dress...you can put a bit extra into alterations!

Thank you!! Yes, it was amazing to get something from the sale! I agree, I'm going to try to find an experienced tailor/seamstress to get it to work for me, I'd rather spend the money and come out with something lovely that I'll wear all the time!

Find a good seamstress. I found one by asking a friend in the wedding business where a good place to do a wedding dress was, figuring if they could do that they could probably do easier things.

What a great idea, wedding dress seamstress..... I'm going to try that, thanks!

CindyKay

loyal BV fan
Jan 13, 2011
or... you can take the dress to an experienced tailor/seamstress, explain to her what you want to get done, and get a quote first. If it's too $$$, you can always back off and say you're going to think about it first. :smile:

btw... what an awesome deal for a Pucci dress for $1!!! The dress is beautiful, and the style looks very appealing as a maxi and you can easily pull it off by wearing nice sandals with your hair tied back. Would get a lot of use during summer time. Whatever you've decided on would come out great. Have fun :smile:

ashleyjena

O.G.
May 8, 2010
or... you can take the dress to an experienced tailor/seamstress, explain to her what you want to get done, and get a quote first. If it's too $$$, you can always back off and say you're going to think about it first. :smile:

btw... what an awesome deal for a Pucci dress for $1!!! The dress is beautiful, and the style looks very appealing as a maxi and you can easily pull it off by wearing nice sandals with your hair tied back. Would get a lot of use during summer time. Whatever you've decided on would come out great. Have fun :smile:

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your opinion because I just wasn't sure about the maxi look, but I think I will go for it. :biggrin: