Alterations question on a dress I'm thinking of buying

pr1nc355

Orange Pyramid
O.G.
May 24, 2006
I saw this dress at my local NM:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...mplates%2FET1.jhtml%3FN%3D4294964888%26rd%3D1

In the store, it's about $350. I tried on the 6, and it fit fine in the waist, but it was just a little loose around the bust area (it's usually the opposite problem for me, since I'm a full C :nuts:). I thought about ordering the 4. It's not in the store, but it's on the website, and I'd have to pay the higher price, but I don't want to pay $447. I also thought about getting the 6, but then I'd have to have it taken in around the top, and with the puckering, I don't know if it's possible.

Last edited:

lvpiggy

feels like pigsomnia
O.G.
Jan 24, 2008
hehe - i looked at the dress first without reading the post, and i was shaking my head thinking you were going to ask if you could take in the waist.

i was most pleased to read you wanted to take in the bust! easy (^(oo)^)v take it to your tailor and ask him to take in the extra fabric at the zipper. in other words, he should detach the zipper at the top and reattach it after smoothing the excess fabric on each side towards the zipper. makes sense?

lvpiggy

feels like pigsomnia
O.G.
Jan 24, 2008
alternatively, if you don't mind changing the look just a little, he can put in 2 darts in the back, one on each side of the zipper. this will be a cheaper alteration and won't change the look of the garment too much since the pintucks should distract from the darts