Alterations at Neiman Marcus

Chanbal

O.G.
Aug 18, 2012
I purchased a coat at NM over a year ago (it still has the tags attached), and I would like to reduce the shoulders. My alterations are usually done at the time of purchase, but I have only recently realized that the shoulders were too big. Should I take it back to NM for alteration? Or should I take it to a tailor instead? Would you mind sharing your experiences with this type of alterations? Thanks!

DB8

O.G.
May 28, 2007
If NM will do it for free, sure - I shop at a similar department store and get all my alterations gratis, even items I've purchased from years before that need a nip/tuck (it helps that I've shopped with my SA for a long time). If not, I'd only go back if you knew the seamstress working on the jacket was good.

Caveat - if the item is pricey I like the accountability department stores have if the alteration doesn't go quite as planned.

Reactions: highend

Chanbal

O.G.
Aug 18, 2012
If NM will do it for free, sure - I shop at a similar department store and get all my alterations gratis, even items I've purchased from years before that need a nip/tuck (it helps that I've shopped with my SA for a long time). If not, I'd only go back if you knew the seamstress working on the jacket was good.

Caveat - if the item is pricey I like the accountability department stores have if the alteration doesn't go quite as planned.
Thanks DB8 for your reply. I have a tailor that has done work for me and I like him, but I believe shoulder reduction is a little complicated. So it is probably better taking the coat to NM.