Almost wish I didn't own older LV products...

chicEC

.cc.lv.cl.
O.G.
Jul 2, 2010
I went into the store today to buy a mini pochette in DE, my first new item since 2010. But now that I have it in hand, I am actually turned off. It is soo flimsy!! I've always loved Louis Vuitton but I don't know if I can tolerate such thin canvas. I'm torn now... I don't want to turn my back on LV, but this quality with all the price increases is ridiculous!! :nogood:

I so agree. I haven't bought a new LV in 2 years. My last purchase was a MC Judy. I've been torn between wanting a new bag and the decline of the quality. I've been picking up older preloved items on EBay. Love the brand but changes need to happen!

Totally.
I can't believe the huge difference between my items bought in 2010, to now. I am blown away. I did buy a vintage speedy recently since I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with vintage LV quality. But I prefer my items to be brand new for the most part, so I guess I have no choice but to settle for cheap quality at higher prices if I decide to bite the bullet and buy again :sad:

I haven't bought an LV for 2-3 years as well! :sad: Are they really that bad? I've been tempted by a few newer pieces....

I was gonna take a break from buying other bags and buy another NF GM in DE but if the canvas is thinner - no way! :sad:

My first two pieces were from around 2004 (speedy 25 and papillon 26) I can tell you the quality is different after owning newer pieces. Its a shame to be able to clearly feel the difference and only she the prices jumping up all the time. :-/

I haven't bought an LV for 2-3 years as well! :sad: Are they really that bad? I've been tempted by a few newer pieces....

I was gonna take a break from buying other bags and buy another NF GM in DE but if the canvas is thinner - no way! :sad:
To me, yes, it's that bad especially considering how much more they're charging these days with no signs of slowing down. It actually made me angry as I was inspecting my new purchase *lol*. I feel like I can literally crumple my mini pochette with one hand if I wanted to. I may return it, even though I have a use for a mini pochette in my life. Or maybe it'll just be my last canvas piece and go all vernis/empreinte from now on. Sigh.

A good friend of mine recently bought her first LV, a pretty Estrella. Last week I visited her and the bag. It Looks great, but I also noticed the thin canvas. And the bag wasn't really heavy. I have the Impression that my Speedy 30 (Sep 2008) is Kind of heavier and the canvas is definitely thicker...😔
But she is so happy and proud, so I couldn't tell her that. I didn't want to ruin her day.
Otherwise, I agree with fellow TPF-members about the Price issues, I am seriously considering other brands... Chloé, Prada, etc where you get leather bags instand of canvas for almost the Same price.
I love LV, but focussing ob other Brands seems to be attractive, given the quality issues.

I have a different expirience. My first LV bag was (is) the Speedy 30 in mono. My mother gave it to me about 3-4 years ago. It's 20 years old. The canvas isn't much thicker then canvas on my new bags. I don't see the difference, at all. I changed the whole vachetta on my Speedy and the new vachetta is the same thickness as the old one. So for me, LV is still the best regarding quality.

I think that you could find a pre loved mini pochette if the thickness bothers you that much , no point in spending so much money and not being satisfied with the item

I just kind of figured it varied by bag if it was designed to be more of a lightweight bag. I have a bloomsbury with thicker canvas and portobello is thinner. I actually am glad port is not as thick since I like lighter weight and that it's more squishy. My mono bags, stresa and estrela don't seem that much different. One is 2009 and other 2012. I've read that a lot on forums for other brands, that older bags were made of better quality.

I can see myself buying a lot of pre-loved in the future because of this. I've had some great finds thus far, and the quality is, as you said, dwindling. It's a real shame, and sadly this is in no way unique to LV!