Almost wish I didn't own older LV products...

chicEC

.cc.lv.cl.
O.G.
Jul 2, 2010
I went into the store today to buy a mini pochette in DE, my first new item since 2010. But now that I have it in hand, I am actually turned off. It is soo flimsy!! I've always loved Louis Vuitton but I don't know if I can tolerate such thin canvas. I'm torn now... I don't want to turn my back on LV, but this quality with all the price increases is ridiculous!! :nogood:

Gamourgirrrl

Oct 27, 2013
I so agree. I haven't bought a new LV in 2 years. My last purchase was a MC Judy. I've been torn between wanting a new bag and the decline of the quality. I've been picking up older preloved items on EBay. Love the brand but changes need to happen!

chicEC

.cc.lv.cl.
O.G.
Jul 2, 2010
Totally.
I can't believe the huge difference between my items bought in 2010, to now. I am blown away. I did buy a vintage speedy recently since I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with vintage LV quality. But I prefer my items to be brand new for the most part, so I guess I have no choice but to settle for cheap quality at higher prices if I decide to bite the bullet and buy again :sad:

Aug 11, 2008
I haven't bought an LV for 2-3 years as well! :sad: Are they really that bad? I've been tempted by a few newer pieces....

I was gonna take a break from buying other bags and buy another NF GM in DE but if the canvas is thinner - no way! :sad:

wilks.ca

Mar 4, 2013
My first two pieces were from around 2004 (speedy 25 and papillon 26) I can tell you the quality is different after owning newer pieces. Its a shame to be able to clearly feel the difference and only she the prices jumping up all the time. :-/

chicEC

.cc.lv.cl.
O.G.
Jul 2, 2010
I haven't bought an LV for 2-3 years as well! :sad: Are they really that bad? I've been tempted by a few newer pieces....

I was gonna take a break from buying other bags and buy another NF GM in DE but if the canvas is thinner - no way! :sad:
To me, yes, it's that bad especially considering how much more they're charging these days with no signs of slowing down. It actually made me angry as I was inspecting my new purchase *lol*. I feel like I can literally crumple my mini pochette with one hand if I wanted to. I may return it, even though I have a use for a mini pochette in my life. Or maybe it'll just be my last canvas piece and go all vernis/empreinte from now on. Sigh.

honey28

O.G.
Jun 22, 2010
A good friend of mine recently bought her first LV, a pretty Estrella. Last week I visited her and the bag. It Looks great, but I also noticed the thin canvas. And the bag wasn't really heavy. I have the Impression that my Speedy 30 (Sep 2008) is Kind of heavier and the canvas is definitely thicker...😔
But she is so happy and proud, so I couldn't tell her that. I didn't want to ruin her day.
Otherwise, I agree with fellow TPF-members about the Price issues, I am seriously considering other brands... Chloé, Prada, etc where you get leather bags instand of canvas for almost the Same price.
I love LV, but focussing ob other Brands seems to be attractive, given the quality issues.

AnaVeronika

May 1, 2011
I have a different expirience. My first LV bag was (is) the Speedy 30 in mono. My mother gave it to me about 3-4 years ago. It's 20 years old. The canvas isn't much thicker then canvas on my new bags. I don't see the difference, at all. I changed the whole vachetta on my Speedy and the new vachetta is the same thickness as the old one. So for me, LV is still the best regarding quality.

kimariew

O.G.
Nov 10, 2009
I just kind of figured it varied by bag if it was designed to be more of a lightweight bag. I have a bloomsbury with thicker canvas and portobello is thinner. I actually am glad port is not as thick since I like lighter weight and that it's more squishy. My mono bags, stresa and estrela don't seem that much different. One is 2009 and other 2012. I've read that a lot on forums for other brands, that older bags were made of better quality.

boyoverboard

Obsessed and in LoVe
O.G.
Feb 9, 2010
I can see myself buying a lot of pre-loved in the future because of this. I've had some great finds thus far, and the quality is, as you said, dwindling. It's a real shame, and sadly this is in no way unique to LV!