Alma PM vs BB

forever.elise

Jan 7, 2014
I have gone back and fourth on whether or not to post a thread regarding which size Alma I should get, but I am starting to feel conflicted again! I will be purchasing soon, so that's why I want some final input.
So, I have seen both sizes in person. The first impression I had of the Vernis Alma (that's the material I want) was a bright pink and a bright red in the BB size. I admired them from across the room, but I was buying a different bag that evening. Something inside me said "That is so adorable and luxe! But is it for me?"
My second impression of this bag was the one that made me feel like this was my dream bag: Amarante PM. I saw a lady walk into Starbucks with this bag, and I couldn't stop starring!
So when I was invited to a private party in my local boutique last October, I saw the PM in Amarante and felt sure this was the one for me. I did take a sneak peak at the BB, but immediately wrote it off thinking it was too small.
Now, seeing some lovely reveals of the Amarante in the BB size, has me reconsidering! There is something so special about the BB size. It's like a little treasure box! It's such a ladylike bag!
The PM obviously has more space, and to me, looks more like a showstopper piece; in crook of your arm, or handheld, it's stunning!
I recently bought the Favorite and had to adjust to what I can bring with me considering the size, but I've managed. I do always need to bring some makeup with me.
This bag will be my first super special bag, and it will be a gift for graduating with honors. So I want to be sure I make the right decision.
For those of you who have the PM and BB, what are your thoughts on size? Also, for those who have just admired the Alma, what size really a "wows" you when you see it? All input is appreciated! I'll post 2 pics of me trying the bag when I was in the store this past fall:
Alma PM, Amarante Vernis
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453854581.541246.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453854596.446035.jpg
Here is the BB (picture from Pinterest)
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453854893.059877.jpg
One additional thought, do you think the BB will remain looking better over time as opposed to the PM?

Last edited:
Congrats on graduating! I have both the pm and bb. I got my pm in Rose Angelique which is a light pink colour and the bb in Indian Rose. I got the PM first I love to look at it and it's just so beautiful. But I have to say I don't use it as often. Because it's a structured bag and hand held I find it less comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Because of that I really wanted the bb love the look and the added strap and the size would be better to go shopping with. If I had to chose one I would chose the alma bb because it's more comfortable to wear. Either one is amazing and who knows maybe you will own both in the future :smile: good luck ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453856277.577079.jpg

Reactions: mycorreia
Congrats on graduating! I have both the pm and bb. I got my pm in Rose Angelique which is a light pink colour and the bb in Indian Rose. I got the PM first I love to look at it and it's just so beautiful. But I have to say I don't use it as often. Because it's a structured bag and hand held I find it less comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Because of that I really wanted the bb love the look and the added strap and the size would be better to go shopping with. If I had to chose one I would chose the alma bb because it's more comfortable to wear. Either one is amazing and who knows maybe you will own both in the future :smile: good luck View attachment 3253400

Thank you! I don't graduate until May, but I want to make my purchase before the increase!
First of all, your bags are stunning![emoji7]
I also considered that maybe I'll get both sizes at some point, but I want my favorite piece right now! Which size is my favorite? I still don't know[emoji15] Do you ever have a hard time choosing what you want to put in the BB? Also, which size do you get more compliments on?! I always thought that if I got a BB, it would be in a pink. Maybe that's why I am thinking the PM looks better in Amarante because it's a darker color...?

I have 2 Alma BB's, one in Amarante Vernis and the other in Piment Epi and I must say I adore them! Both were supposed to be Alma PM purchases and both times I ended up leaving with the Alma BB instead. Nor regrets. I find this small bag to be very versatile. It's a chic, fun bag for day and can be dressed up for night. It's polished due to its shape and structure and for a small bag, I think it is quite roomy. It easily holds all of my essentials when I downsize my wallet to a Zippy Coin Purse. For reference, I can fit as much as my Pochette Metis fit with room to spare.

After all that, I still want an Alma PM in either Epi or Vernis. I simply cannot decide on a color. The Alma is a special bag! In your situation, either would be beautiful. I think it will depend on how you plan to use the bag. Try both on again between now and when you purchase. I definitely think the Vernis looks best as a handheld bag. If you need a strap option, I'd choose the Alma BB. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have 2 Alma BB's, one in Amarante Vernis and the other in Piment Epi and I must say I adore them! Both were supposed to be Alma PM purchases and both times I ended up leaving with the Alma BB instead. Nor regrets. I find this small bag to be very versatile. It's a chic, fun bag for day and can be dressed up for night. It's polished due to its shape and structure and for a small bag, I think it is quite roomy. It easily holds all of my essentials when I downsize my wallet to a Zippy Coin Purse. For reference, I can fit as much as my Pochette Metis fit with room to spare.

After all that, I still want an Alma PM in either Epi or Vernis. I simply cannot decide on a color. The Alma is a special bag! In your situation, either would be beautiful. I think it will depend on how you plan to use the bag. Try both on again between now and when you purchase. I definitely think the Vernis looks best as a handheld bag. If you need a strap option, I'd choose the Alma BB. Good luck!

Havanese,
Thank you always for your thoughtful responses. I have absolutely thought of you and your BB when deciding on the size because I remembered you have it. I am surprised that the BB can hold as much as the Pochette Metis! Would not have expected that. Well, I won't have a chance to get to the store an additional time before my purchase because I'm busy with school, so I think when I go to the store next, it will be to make my purchase! So that's why I wanted to be sure before I go. Ok, I have a lot to think about!

Reactions: jill39
Havanese,
Thank you always for your thoughtful responses. I have absolutely thought of you and your BB when deciding on the size because I remembered you have it. I am surprised that the BB can hold as much as the Pochette Metis! Would not have expected that. Well, I won't have a chance to get to the store an additional time before my purchase because I'm busy with school, so I think when I go to the store next, it will be to make my purchase! So that's why I wanted to be sure before I go. Ok, I have a lot to think about!
As much as I adore the Alma BB, instinctively, I'd get the Alma PM in Amarante. It's the showstopper you're looking to add to your collection. It can be used day or night and Amarante is a very versatile shade that can serve as a neutral. It's such a gorgeous, ladylike classic it'll always be relevant. Should you wish to add an Alma BB in the future, you could choose a fun " pop" of bright color in Epi or Vernis. How exciting for you that your graduation is just months away!

I have a BB and a PM in epi. The BB is an everyday bag for me. I carry a covered checkbook, key pouch, multicartes, keys, phone, and a lip gloss in mine. The PM is for times when I need to have my iPad close at hand, and is better for traveling since it holds a lot more. If I only had one, the BB would be my pick because it's a good everyday size for me. I also think the BB is cuter and more dainty, as you said. If you need to carry items for work and more makeup than lip gloss, a PM might be a better first choice for an Alma. The amarante, bright pink, and bright red all look good in the Alma, and the amarante PM looks great on you. Good luck with your decision. :smile:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,216
Last edited:
I have a BB and a PM in epi. The BB is an everyday bag for me. I carry a covered checkbook, key pouch, multicartes, keys, phone, and a lip gloss in mine. The PM is for times when I need to have my iPad close at hand, and is better for traveling since it holds a lot more. If I only had one, the BB would be my pick because it's a good everyday size for me. I also think the BB is cuter and more dainty, as you said. If you need to carry items for work and more makeup than lip gloss, a PM might be a better first choice for an Alma. The amarante, bright pink, and bright red all look great in the Alma. Good luck with your decision. :smile:
Your Alma's are beautiful. Do you mind my asking what color ( blue) your Alma PM is? Thanks!

Your Noir Epi is totally on my list. I think once I start my career down the line, I can see that being my work bag! Is there a reason why you would go for the PM if you had to choose? Your BB is also a beauty.

I love the BB but because of it's shape you can't carry as much as what fits inside. Meaning, whatever sits on top has to be removed to get at what's at the bottom. You can carry more than a Favorite PM but less than a Favorite MM. I still love it but I love the PM size more. I feel that it's more classic and I can use the PM for weeks at a time. I can see everything and no digging or shuffling things. After 2 or 3 days with the BB I need to switch. The BB is extremely cute though. Details and craftmanship just as great as the bigger one. I recommend trying your items inside a BB while in the boutique to make sure it works for you.

Oh my I was totally just debating the same issue of the Amarante alma and actually ended up buying the alma bb tonight!! The alma pm was nice but the actual embossing of the monogram was very faint where as The embossing on the alma be was very deep and nice. In the end that was my deciding factor but I believe I will end up getting the PM in the future. I will post a picture in a bit.

Oh my I was totally just debating the same issue of the Amarante alma and actually ended up buying the alma bb tonight!! The alma pm was nice but the actual embossing of the monogram was very faint where as The embossing on the alma be was very deep and nice. In the end that was my deciding factor but I believe I will end up getting the PM in the future. I will post a picture in a bit.

Omg I can't believe you said that! I was thinking the same thing!!! That's so weird!!! I want the stamp to be really deep, too. Not sure why I've noticed it a bit lighter on the PM. Did you purchase in store? I need to carry a makeup bag with me, and I've seen one in the BB but I don't want it to be heavy...