Allergic reaction to Tiffany Sterling Silver, what could it be?

klb4556

O.G.
May 18, 2009
I had to send back a necklace I got for xmas because within 20 minutes I was increasingly itching and developing some hives.

When I called after the holiday to find out what alloy they use, they told me they use copper instead of nickel. So I assumed the issue to be copper.

However, I can wear 14k yellow gold that I know contains copper and am ok.

Anyone else?

I had to send back a necklace I got for xmas because within 20 minutes I was increasingly itching and developing some hives.

When I called after the holiday to find out what alloy they use, they told me they use copper instead of nickel. So I assumed the issue to be copper.

However, I can wear 14k yellow gold that I know contains copper and am ok.

Anyone else?
I can't wear nickel. I can wear silver, SS and gold. Never heard of copper allergy but guess you have it

It is possible to be allergic to copper, but it may also depend on the other types of silver you wear. Some are rhodium plated which prevents reactions. If your other silver is plated, this might explain it as well.

a bit OT but I had my ears re-pierced a few years ago. Prior to that I had been able to wear silver earrings. Once they were re-pierced they took a long time to heal. I got a pair of diamond studs set in platinum. Apparently no one is allergic to platinum. After wearing them for a time and getting my ears totally healed I was able to wear 14K and silver again.