Travel All Things Travel Chat

plain jane doe said:
Sorry, I wasn't able to find it again, but if you search for "volunteer safari," there were quite a few options for similar prices. Just be aware that many of the volunteer activities do not involve wildlife but rather teaching kids, etc. This does not work for me because I am scared of children.

http://www.i-to-i.com/south-africa/

This is one site that I've looked at quite a bit... Seems pretty good.

Hmmmmm....I get Good Friday off, plus I could ditch the Thursday before (no classes) and I'm thinking of a road trip from here to the Grand Canyon. 2 days out and back with 1 day at the Canyon. I'm not a big nature person, but I've yet to visit NM and AZ...so I figure why not? Plus as a road trip we could bring the dog and I could get grading done while on the road.

BIL would come with us and split gas and hotels, so it would be relatively inexpensive (we stay at La Quintas when on the road because of the dog).

I thought about NYC, but the airfare is crazy for the two of us.

DH isn't wild about it since he's seen it all before, but I need to cross those states off my list (I also need a quick weekend to Arkansas one of these days).

Looks like we would go through Amarillo and Albuquerque on the way. Probably make it to Albuquerque and spend the night there and spend some time the next day seeing the old town area and trying some food. I bet there are some Diners, DriveIns, and Dives out there that we could try (I love that show).

Yeah, Twigs, the Higher Ed stuff & there are always panels/roundtables at our big conferences about women in academia. It's depressing stuff, although it makes me happy to hear how much you like your job. It gives me hope (and confirms that people who are drawn to Russia are, generally, depressing).

Hmmmmm....I get Good Friday off, plus I could ditch the Thursday before (no classes) and I'm thinking of a road trip from here to the Grand Canyon. 2 days out and back with 1 day at the Canyon. I'm not a big nature person, but I've yet to visit NM and AZ...so I figure why not? Plus as a road trip we could bring the dog and I could get grading done while on the road.

BIL would come with us and split gas and hotels, so it would be relatively inexpensive (we stay at La Quintas when on the road because of the dog).

I thought about NYC, but the airfare is crazy for the two of us.

DH isn't wild about it since he's seen it all before, but I need to cross those states off my list (I also need a quick weekend to Arkansas one of these days).

Looks like we would go through Amarillo and Albuquerque on the way. Probably make it to Albuquerque and spend the night there and spend some time the next day seeing the old town area and trying some food. I bet there are some Diners, DriveIns, and Dives out there that we could try (I love that show).

If you want any recommendations on where to eat in Amarillo, I know a lot of good places since I'm from there.

Yeah, Twigs, the Higher Ed stuff & there are always panels/roundtables at our big conferences about women in academia. It's depressing stuff, although it makes me happy to hear how much you like your job. It gives me hope (and confirms that people who are drawn to Russia are, generally, depressing).

This made me LOL. We lived in Moscow for two years and (for us) it was a depressing place to live. It's an interesting place to visit though.

So DH is making noises about going to Belize in July. I know that is not exactly the best time of year but I can't go later due to work and our other option is May, so July gives us more time to save money. Still not sure if we will go there or end up going on a Carribean cruise of some sort. Knowing DH's preference for nice hotels, he would want to stay in a suite on a cruise and I think we would end up with more bang for our buck by going to Belize, even though it would only be five days probably instead of seven.

Yes you can! I have a green card and only travel with my drivers license within the US. They never ask for anything else.

Whew! Thank you! My mom's passport is expiring and she needs to fly soon.

She's flying with me (I have an American passport) so I guess I'll just use my driver's license and her driver's license to make it easier, I guess...no?

Thanks

diz: The only place you'll be asked for ID is at the TSA security checkpoint and they will take anything - green card, passport, or drivers license. They're just matching pictures with names. When flying within the US, that's the only time you show anything.

Friday - Thanks! I will definitely let you know if we decide to go there and stop in Amarillo.

Buzzy - I've been to Belize on a cruise and enjoyed it, and several friends have been and loved it. Even 5 days is a lot of fun. July is going to be hot, hot, hot though!

I
This made me LOL. We lived in Moscow for two years and (for us) it was a depressing place to live. It's an interesting place to visit though.

Hahaha, yeah, Russia takes a certain deposition to make it bearable. I've been traveling there for the past 10 years & definitely by the end of each trip I've had about all of Russia that I can take at one time (yet I go back all the time--what does that say about me).

Hahaha, yeah, Russia takes a certain deposition to make it bearable. I've been traveling there for the past 10 years & definitely by the end of each trip I've had about all of Russia that I can take at one time (yet I go back all the time--what does that say about me).

I would have preferred to live in St. Petersburg (but that wasn't an option). It was much more walkable and relaxed than Moscow, I thought, yet still very much Russia.

So now I have Europe for Thanksgiving in my head. Vienna, Budapest, and Bratislava for the Christmas markets. I have 6 days off, so it would be a quick trip. I'm going to watch airfares as I've been told they often have good sales for Thanksgiving/Christmas.