Travel All Things Travel Chat

VLL, is this a safari type of trip?

Has anyone been along the Silk Road or know about any must-see points? Historical reasons accepted for this one ;) I am thinking/daydreaming about taking a very southern/maritime route given the trouble in that region.

VLL - That sounds amazing! May I ask, where did you find information about the trip? It seems like a lot of people book through agencies for their African trips. I'd love to go on one and be able to visit several countries like S.A., Botswana, Tanzania, etc.

What time of year are you going? Our summer?

PJD - I know a little of the silk road...but what countries would you be traveling through? I thought I remember seeing that there were sights in Turkey, but I could be wrong.

Wow....that would be absolutely amazing PJD! Syria might be a little crazy right now....but I'm sure it'll die down again. I was just reading an article about the middle east and they were recommending Oman.

I"d love to visit the Middle East (only been to Turkey)....I find the culture very fascinating.

I really want to go to the Middle East as well but DH is terrified to go. We are leaning towards the Bahamas for our nest trip or possibly Florida to see his parent's new home there. I really want to dive w. sharks.

Yeah, I am a bit scared of traveling outside familiar Western territory myself, but no guts, no glory, right? In any case I do plan to be cautious and do my research for any travels.

What are y'all's big dream trips?

I also want to do a cross-country route starting in NY and going down the Southeastern seaboard, through the deep South, up the Mississippi, then over to Montana and down through Idaho, Salt Lake, Vegas, LA. This is totally inefficient but what I want to see!

Also dying to have a friend make a Scandinavian loop with me, but I don't think she will go for it. My route would take us a month, and she is an inexperienced traveller.

Oh VLL....that website could entertain me for hours having me dream. The African Sensations trip looks amazing. Which one did you guys book?

Sometimes I'll just use tour operator websites to plan my own independent trip....they give you some great ideas for itineraries! That is what I did when we visited Amsterdam, Belgium, and Luzembourg.

PJD - Well, my big dream is an African safari. But for a road trip....my dream would be:

Start in London, drive through the countryside over to Wales...stopping at endless castles along the way. From Wales I would want to then drive through the countryside to Scotland and stay there for a bit driving around. Then over to Ireland and N. Ireland.

I'd probably need well over a month, but that is my dream. I love castles and would plan the entire trip around castles....especially castles that are being lived in still (some families do open up their homes).

One day I will do it and hubby will just suffer along!

Twiggers do you have any desire to do Fairytale Road in Germany? It is not a road per se, just a general road trip guideline but it hits all of the castles in Germany. I am a big fan of the castles as well and Germany is supposed to have some really neat ones.

So my Grandma passed away last week and left me a little bit of money and I want to spend it on travelling but have no idea where to go. It's not much (enough to pay for an overseas trip if we budgeted to the penny but we don't like to do that, otherwise it would probably pay for tickets and a hotel but no spending money) and I want to honor her somehow but have no idea what to do. She grew up in Buffalo, NY and I have been there and there is not a lot of exciting things to do. She was scared to fly and as far as I am aware there is no place she ever mentioned that she really wanted to see. Our wedding in Scotland was the only time she ever flew overseas although they did go on a couple of cruises. I am kind of leaning towards that but not really sure.

Buzzy - Oh yes! The Fairy Tale Road is high up there. My Mom's dream is to visit Germany (she's German) and so I'm taking her in summer 2014 to celebrate her retirement. We'll likely travel all around Germany for a few weeks...maybe the Czech Republic and Poland, but not sure yet. It depends on what she wants to see in Germany.

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma....I think honoring her memory with travel would be fantastic! A cruise is a great cost-effective way to see a lot!

DH's dream is to go there as well. He is second or third generation American so his relatives weren't right off the boat or anything but he is full blooded German.

Has anyone used places like SniqueAway.com or Jetsetter.com?? When I am feeling the travel bug I like to go to those sites to daydream about where I want to go. Someday I'd like to take advantage of their deals but that part of me fights with the part that likes to have things planned out welllllll in advance. :biggrin:

Buzzytoes - since you mentioned Buffalo, have you been to Niagara Falls or Montreal? thought of another idea - have you been to Santa Fe or Sedona?

Twiggers - My friend used this company the last time she went to Africa & she loved it. They stopped during safaris for breaks, brought out tables with fine linens & champagne, tea & goodies. They just did many extras that weren't expected. The food & accommodations were great also. My travel documents don't list African Sensations but that reads very similar to my trip.

Don't know that I'll ever be able to go back to Africa. Wanted to make sure I saw the highlights as if I would never go back. But many people I know that used to travel regularly to Europe, go to Africa every year now.

I love to drive. Anybody drive from Santa Fe to Taos? What a gorgeous view!

You know, we're right next to New Mexico and I'm contemplating doing a drive out there. Thought about driving all the way to Vegas, but that takes too much time.

Buzzy - I would love to do a surprise last minute trip, but for me, it is the planning that is half the thrill of a trip.

VLL - If I did Africa I would try to hit up as much as possible as well. You just never know...and when you're traveling 15+ hours you need to set aside a longer chunk of time. I hear about people going to Europe for a weekend, and I just can't imagine that!