Travel All Things Travel Chat

twiggers

O.G.
May 7, 2006
Sometimes I just like to chat about potential upcoming trips, planning, etc. and don't really want to start a new thread for that. So I thought I'd create a thread to just generally chat about travel. Who knows if this will work or not :smile:

I'll start....

I have some cruises coming up, but no land-based vacations. However, I may have the chance to visit London, Paris, Amsterdam in a whirlwind trip this summer. I am trying to develop a study abroad program for my university and they'll pay you to go and visit the countries to do planning. I've already been to London (several times) and Amsterdam (once), but never to France. So I am SUPER excited about the prospect of FINALLY getting to Paris. I may only have a few days there....but if our program gets accepted then we'll be back every summer for 2-3 weeks.

Great thread Twiggers. I love reading about your trips. We have no trips planned for 2012 but I am probably going to NYC in 2013 and possibly on a cruise.

I don't have anything concrete planned, but I would like to go to Bosnia and Herzogovina and Israel this year. I also spend a lot of time daydreaming about a month-long train trip, but who knows when or if that can happen.

I'm jealous about NYC Vanessa....I really, really need to get there. One day I just need to book the plane tickets and make it happen. Go on a long weekend or something.

PJD - I am also so jealous that you live in Europe and can take quick weekend jaunts all over the place! Bosnia would be amazing....I've heard some great things about it. Israel is also on my list; however, I'm a little apprehensive with all the news right now (i.e., conflict with Iran).

Do y'all have bucket lists? I mean, my bucket list is to visit all 193 sovereign nations...but I have some that are way up high.

My #1 was Rome, but I was able to get that done last year. Now I think Paris is way up there and I am absolutely yearning for an African Safari. I would say that is #1 on my list. But it'll likely be a LONG time before I get to do that....cost + convincing DH to traipse around Africa with me.

I'm super excited for NYC. I'm going w/ my Mom so we will have an amazing time.

My must see places- Rome was #1 for me too and we did that in October. London is probably number 2 right now and then Paris, Greece, Russia, Dubai, New Orleans, Kentucky, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey, Poland, Prague...

We are likely not going on any significant vacations this year and that really sucks as far as I'm concerned. If I had my way (and the money) I would head to a new country every year!

I'm sure you'll have a blast in NYC. When are you guys going?

You should definitely visit New Orleans...I love that city!

Turkey was so cool, I really want to go back and visit Istanbul.

Hmmmm, in Europe I am really intrigued by:

Germany - I'd love to visit Berlin and do a Rhine River cruise
Poland - Auschwitz
Vienna - Freud's birthplace and he's a big influence in my field and I'm a dork LOL
Venice - I must get to N. Italy!
Ireland - I MUST MUST get there. Actually, one of my dream trips is to rent a car and spend weeks driving around the UK. Scotland, Wales, Ireland....just going from castle to castle.
And Russia....definitely Russia!

I'm waiting for cruise itineraries to release for summer 2013....thinking of a N. Europe cruise that includes Russia and a few other countries.

I posted in the cruise thread, but I think for spring break 2013 we'll fly to Puerto Rico again and do another cruise that hits a few countries/islands I haven't visited.

I'm really looking forward to this year's spring break cruise...Panama and Colombia and then a few islands. I can't wait!

Bussy - I LOVE to travel....for me, it's more important than a lot of other things. I'd gladly give up new cars, fancy clothes, etc. in order to travel. Fortunately, I'm a professor...so I have a lot of time to travel. It's just finding the money for all of it LOL We try to travel at least 3x a year on bigger trips.

We are planning for fall of 2013 now. We were going to go this year but my parents did some major renovations to their home this year so no trips for them... ;)

Venice was beautiful. I would love to go back and stay in the city. We stayed outside the city and I think it would be amazing to wake up in that city and see the sun rising over the canals.

Good thread idea!

I'm headed to Paris for Spring Break and I'm super excited! I love to travel but haven't done it much because my father and brother don't really like to. In the past few years my mother and I have just started going off on our own though. There are so many places I want to see! Italy and Greece are probably my next stops. There's also a ton of places in the Middle East I'd love to go but just probably aren't the best places to travel to at the moment i.e. Israel and Egypt. I'd also love to see the Great Wall of China, Morocco, Monte Carlo, and about a bagillion other places! One day.

Hi, Great Chat Twiggy.

So, I'm on traveling foot, so to speak :smile: US, and Montgomery Alabama right now. So much nicer weather here. It was -13°F in Stockholm yesterday.

Plain Jane I would love to go to Bosnia and Israel. Someday.

We'll see if I actually make it!

Do y'all have bucket lists? I mean, my bucket list is to visit all 193 sovereign nations...but I have some that are way up high.

Can my bucket list be Everywhere??

To narrow it down a bit I am more interested in places that are totally different either naturally or culturally and less into history and architecture. I am dying to see St Basil's Cathedral, but with most of Europe I've seen all the Roman and Gothic and pictures of the leaning tower of Pisa I need. Italy mostly interests me for the food.

A few of the places near the top of my list: Southern Africa, Egypt, China, Australia, Antarctica, MEMPHIS, Southeastern seaboard.

I used to love travelling alone, but now I plan trips a lot around having good company as well. Part of it is a preference for having a local show me around. Part of it might be breakup aftermath? Kind of hoping I will get over that limitation.

What are all y'all's travelling styles? (Twiggers, I know you love cruises ;))