All the Single (flap) Ladies!

Hello ladies,
I have read through most of the thread looking for information related to the difference between the single and the double flap. I currently own a double flap jumbo in black with gold hardware, I love this bag, but it can get heavy. I also have a couple of Chanel totes and a Boy bag.

I fell in love with the 17B dark red and although I wanted a red Coco Handle, I decided to forget about it and grab a classic in the 17B red. Its been a rollercoaster since I have been all over the place. I went to the boutique to try on a medium but didn't like how the handbag looked when I carried it double strand on my shoulder. My Jumbo sits right at the top of the hip, the medium felt like it was under my armpit. I am 5'5 130 lbs, so not sure if I am just too large for the bag.

I was concerned about getting a 17B red in the Jumbo because its a big bag, and honestly I was worried about the weight. So I then looked at the Mini, but I carry way too much with me: sunglasses, keys, phone, lipgloss and small wallet.

I have thought about a Jumbo in a single flap to address the weight, but have read a lot about the single flaps not keeping their shape, or not being as sturdy as the double flaps.

Totally agree with some of the feedback here that the double flap can be a bit irritating.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I have 2 caviar jumbos, one in single flap (black w/ gold hw) and other double flap (beige wi/ gold hw). There is definitely a weight difference. Yes, the double flap retains its shape better, but I do find it bulkier, this harder to wear more often. I wear the single flap very comfortably as an everyday bag, and getting into the bag is so much easier without that second flap. It definitely gets more wear than my double flap. I store my single flap stuffed with tissue and those mini air bags, and I don't find it losing its shape after 7 years now. I think as long as you get a single flap in caviar leather, it'll retain its shape pretty well. I've always recommended to friends to get single flap over double flap (if possible!). Good luck!

I have 2 caviar jumbos, one in single flap (black w/ gold hw) and other double flap (beige wi/ gold hw). There is definitely a weight difference. Yes, the double flap retains its shape better, but I do find it bulkier, this harder to wear more often. I wear the single flap very comfortably as an everyday bag, and getting into the bag is so much easier without that second flap. It definitely gets more wear than my double flap. I store my single flap stuffed with tissue and those mini air bags, and I don't find it losing its shape after 7 years now. I think as long as you get a single flap in caviar leather, it'll retain its shape pretty well. I've always recommended to friends to get single flap over double flap (if possible!). Good luck!

Thank you for your feed back, I appreciate it!

Another thing is that I have noticed that many ladies in.different threads buy in e-buy or Amazon, which means buying second hand. I have never bought a second hand one although you can save money! But you must be sure that it is an authentic one and also in good conditions. Is it worth buying second hand? Thanks a lot, girls!!

Another thing is that I have noticed that many ladies in.different threads buy in e-buy or Amazon, which means buying second hand. I have never bought a second hand one although you can save money! But you must be sure that it is an authentic one and also in good conditions. Is it worth buying second hand? Thanks a lot, girls!!

I believe you can only get the single flap through second hand as Chanel discontinued making SF for the classic design back in 2010.

Reactions: LucyMadrid
Just ordered my first Chanel and it's a vintage single flap jumbo with vertical quilts. Bought from a reputable consignment store but so nervous about whether or not I will love the vertical quilt and worried about vintage condition (even though it's listed as excellent). Looks good on website too. This bag was almost as expensive as a new chanel (I just love the large CC vintage look and single flap, hence why I was wiling to pay that much !) I am so worried. Any reassurance would be very welcome :smile:

Just ordered my first Chanel and it's a vintage single flap jumbo with vertical quilts. Bought from a reputable consignment store but so nervous about whether or not I will love the vertical quilt and worried about vintage condition (even though it's listed as excellent). Looks good on website too. This bag was almost as expensive as a new chanel (I just love the large CC vintage look and single flap, hence why I was wiling to pay that much !) I am so worried. Any reassurance would be very welcome :smile:

Don't worry. I am sure you have made a very good purchase. Congr.

This "Single Flap Group" adore single flap bags therefore, we are all (probably) in agreement that you made a fantastic choice. :happydance:Cannot wait for you to share a picture when you get her!!!! Congratulations!!!!! I miss this thread when it goes quiet.:nuts:
Thanks so much. Can't wait to see her :smile: still a bit nervous about choosing a vertical quilt as a starter bag but like that it's a bit different. Also my other goal is to own a medium classic single flap vintage :hbeat:

Thanks so much. Can't wait to see her :smile: still a bit nervous about choosing a vertical quilt as a starter bag but like that it's a bit different. Also my other goal is to own a medium classic single flap vintage :hbeat:
I adore single flaps and love variations (texture,color etc). This will be excellent piece to have in your collection as it definitely won't be your only one. Chanel is a slippery slope and you have fallen

I've talked about this so much that I feel like a broken record. LOL!

It is soooooo worth buying second hand (preloved / preowned).

• You can save 25-75% off the price of a new bag.
• Some second hand bags are new and never used. (My 10c red had never been used) As you can see from TPF many people are afraid to use their bags or have too many to use all their bags. Some times they sell these unused babies and you get a new bag for a sizeable discount.
• Quality of materials was often better than current bags. Real gold overlay, better quality lamb, better hand feel to the caviar, better overall construction.
• Some highly desired features are only available in discontinued bags - single flap, bijoux chains, Le Roi style, 10c bright colors, large double C's etc.
• Single flaps are lighter and have larger capacity than double flaps.
• Single flaps only sag if mistreated or poorly stored.
• Chanel classic flaps and reissues pretty much look the same decade after decade. So an older classic flap / reissue almost never looks dated unlike older bags from other brands. (Dior saddle bag anyone?)

Buyers can be guaranteed authenticity by getting bags authenticated electronically (or in person) with Etinciler or in person with Leather Surgeons.

And a careful inspection online of photos usually will make sure the bag is in good condition. If it's not you can return the bag to a reputable seller and open an SNAD claim on eBay, Tradesy, PayPal, etc for purchases from individual sellers.

So there really is no down side to buying preloved. Most people happily buy preloved houses. And most people "buy" preloved mates and spouses. LOL! So preloved bags are good to have too! :lol:

Your bag sounds lovely! I think the vertical quilt is a gorgeous style! It's always nice to have a "classic" Chanel that has a twist!

I'm cuckoo in love with the big C's and had decided that a bag with that feature would be my next Chanel purchase. So yay! for you.

Please share reveal photos!

Last edited: