All the packages sent to my new home are going to be gone. SO very upset...

ZombieCandi

Jul 26, 2009
Canada
My tenancy at my apartment ends on Sept 30th but I wanted to avoid confusion with my mail by telling my banks and my auto insurance company my new change of address, which I did in August. I'm moving to my fiance's property--which happens to be a house divided into a second floor, ground floor and basement apartments, in which he is the landlord.

Considering how long it takes to receive mail sometimes, I didn't want to risk having it sent to my old apartment (passed Sept. 30th) and figured that I could just pick it up at my fiance's place since I was moving there already. For items I ordered from different places online in the last 2 weeks, I made sure to change both my billing and shipping address. Only two items came with tracking numbers, while the others didn't.

I had been following the tracking for those two. The first one, package A, said that it had been delivered at 12 noon on Sept 2nd. My fiance found nothing and even asked the other tenants in the house and our neighbours. I called Canada Post customer service and they said I had to get in touch with the sender of my package and tell them to contact Canada Post because that's the only way to initiate a trace. So, I did just that and the trace is going to take about 17 business days....and by then my package really will be gone.

The thing with my fiance's house is that even though it's divided into apartments, they aren't numbered and there are no unit numbers attached to the address. There is only one mailbox in which everyone gets their mail. You also have to have keys to get into the main door before getting to the door of your actual apartment. If I'm ordering packages that obviously don't fit in the mail, why is the postman not leaving a note saying that I can pick it up at the nearest post office (like they did with my old apartment)? Did he just drop it on the front steps? Is someone just stealing them? I just can't go accusing people (tenants and neighbours) of stealing.

Yesterday, I followed the tracking number for package B and the exact same thing happened. According to the tracking, the package was dropped off successfully at 12 noon. Once again, nobody around found anything.

Here's the catch---I did get some other mail---my new documents regarding my address change from my auto insurance company. How come I was able to get an envelope addressed to me correctly at this new address but not any of the packages, which I swear up and down has the correct address?

I called Canada Post again and told them this was the second time this happened. The only thing left to do was to once again contact the sender and have them do a trace. Canada Post also said they could issue a complaint on my behalf in which a supervisor tries to get in contact with the actual postman who covers our area. I asked if I would be contacted immediately regarding the results. CP said no, they will not contact me whether or not there "is a problem" and that I have to rely on the investigation that the sender initiates.

They said it was a possibility that the packages were sent to my old address, which isn't correct because I still have my old apartment until Sept. 30th and I haven't received any mail there, plus I had changed my address with my banks 3 weeks ago. PLUS, tracking on the Canada Post website says it was "successfully delivered" in Etobicoke (new address) and not North York (old address).

I'm honestly so upset because my other stuff that's coming don''t have tracking numbers and everything will be lost. I'm out money and I'm out packages. I don't know what to do.

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
So upsetting. I would probably assume that they were delivered OK but someone in the house has them. It's happened to me - a long-awaited blouse from Italy was delivered but someone in my building stole it, and I really had no proof but I've never lost a package before, except that weekend when new tenants were moving in.

I would ask around the house- or ask your bf to do it. One package missing can happen, but two or more and there's a pattern. If you report a lot of missing packages to sellers, they may even ban your address.

ZombieCandi

Jul 26, 2009
Canada
So upsetting. I would probably assume that they were delivered OK but someone in the house has them. It's happened to me - a long-awaited blouse from Italy was delivered but someone in my building stole it, and I really had no proof but I've never lost a package before, except that weekend when new tenants were moving in.

I would ask around the house- or ask your bf to do it. One package missing can happen, but two or more and there's a pattern. If you report a lot of missing packages to sellers, they may even ban your address.
That's awful. I have a suspicion that they're stolen and the future ones coming are going to be stolen also. My fiance has asked the neighbours and the other tenants and apparently there was nothing--who knows if someone is lying. Like you, I have no proof.

It's really ironic that the apartment I left was in a rougher neighbourhood and had never gotten my mail stolen---the postman always left a notice card to tell me to pick it up at the store down the street. But in this new area which my fiance always said was a "good area", two packages in a row I think have been stolen. Ugh.

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
That's awful. I have a suspicion that they're stolen and the future ones coming are going to be stolen also. My fiance has asked the neighbours and the other tenants and apparently there was nothing--who knows if someone is lying. Like you, I have no proof.

It's really ironic that the apartment I left was in a rougher neighbourhood and had never gotten my mail stolen---the postman always left a notice card to tell me to pick it up at the store down the street. But in this new area which my fiance always said was a "good area", two packages in a row I think have been stolen. Ugh.
It's so frustrating - I definitely feel your pain! I had no proof that my blouse was stolen, but I never had an issue with UPS at my building, and I've been there for over 7 years. At least the seller credited me back the money, but the blouse was such a steal, and gorgeous...it's so sad to lose a package :sad:

Could you get a P.O. Box or something like that in the future? Or maybe have the packages sent to your work address?

lilmountaingirl

~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
O.G.
May 5, 2008
Wow if one of the tenants did steal them... that's pretty gutsy to steal from your landlord. Maybe you'll see someone wearing or carrying your things? But I guess if you steal you'd steal to resell. I'm so sorry this is happening. I think you can file claims with the Postal Service and companies you bought from.

lilmountaingirl

~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
O.G.
May 5, 2008
Also, maybe since you don't live there yet the postal service is holding them or returning them to sender? The community mail box is a problem. I don't know what the laws are but why doesn't your fiance keep the only key and distribute the mail?

JJbear

Young Lvoer
Nov 24, 2012
I'm not too sure I have a good grasp on the layout of where everyone collects the mail in your house but since your husband is the landlord do you think he might be able to set up some surveillance cameras for future deliveries? I think it would be effective since there is usually a time stamp of when your package has been marked as delivered so if anything goes missing again you know exactly what time range to check on the surveillance feed. This is one of those "just in case" measures though. It'd be best to speak to your mailman or post office and have them hold future packages for you or deliver them a certain way. But the cameras might still be a good idea in case a different mailman comes one day or forgets how your packages are usually dealt with. Sorry for your missing packages, I know when I have something coming for me how excited I get so I can imagine the disappointment.

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
I'm not too sure I have a good grasp on the layout of where everyone collects the mail in your house but since your husband is the landlord do you think he might be able to set up some surveillance cameras for future deliveries? I think it would be effective since there is usually a time stamp of when your package has been marked as delivered so if anything goes missing again you know exactly what time range to check on the surveillance feed. This is one of those "just in case" measures though. It'd be best to speak to your mailman or post office and have them hold future packages for you or deliver them a certain way. But the cameras might still be a good idea in case a different mailman comes one day or forgets how your packages are usually dealt with. Sorry for your missing packages, I know when I have something coming for me how excited I get so I can imagine the disappointment.

Cameras are a great idea! And they're relatively inexpensive to install.

Sep 18, 2007
What an awful situation. Not only losing the packages but also the thought of suspecting your neighbors as a possible criminal. And the time and energy spent to try to recover the items must be so stressful.

I live in an apartment where large packages that don't fit into letterboxes can be left at the manager's office but even so, I have opened up a private mail box account, not the post office box, so that items can be signed for on my behalf and a notice is left in my box. In your situation I strongly recommend finding a more secure place to take in your deliveries from work, friends, relatives, or a business that does this like mine.

So many places don't check ID's before handing over a package and also anyone can sign for a package forging your signature pretending to be you. Even if notices are left, someone can steal that and pick up your package at the post office. If you are expecting any more packages, I urge you to notify the carriers to hold all your mail. I also agree about the need to install a camera.