All my posts today have been deleted

I just woke up to a note from our server techs. Last night we suffered a massive database corruption in an InnoDB table that caused a cascading effect and the host needed to roll back to a snapshot from the day before. This is the reason why your posts and PMs all disappeared.

Sorry for the inconvenience, this is as far as I remember the first time we needed to do this in the last 17 years. :shocked:

Last edited:
Explains the 404 error that was thrown around the afternoon PDT yesterday. Whatever database this messaging board sits on should have all the data stored. Maybe there’s a problem between the database and the front end interface. In any case, I appreciate all the hard work that’s gone into debugging!

Reactions: Hermes Nuttynut
We're doing a post mortem a the moment to figure out the root cause of the corruption to prevent it going forward. Regardless of its outcome, we did decrease the interval of backup snapshots to 8h to prevent more data loss in case this should happen again.
I was having trouble posting earlier in the day yesterday. Things kept timing out.

I just woke up to a note from our server techs. Last night we suffered a massive database corruption in an InnoDB table that caused a cascading effect and the host needed to roll back to a snapshot from the day before. This is the reason why your posts and PMs all disappeared.

Sorry for the inconvenience, this is as far as I remember the first time we needed to do this in the last 17 years. :shocked:
I was online yesterday when this was happening. The only way I could get in the forum was through notifications via my email, I could then get in but once in pages would load and then freeze and I would end up back in my email. Going through the web I would get system error. I hope not too much was lost.

• Insightful
Reactions: papertiger
Slightly different than @DaisyDD 's experience, but I also must have been online while it was happening. I could (briefly) access the posts that had disappeared by clicking through via the Alerts dropdown links. But then, soon after, the alerts related to the disappeared posts also vanished.

Thanks so much for letting us know what happened! Was certainly odd so see the system acting so glitchy!