All about LV - LEATHERS

I so very much appreciate the insight @BULL and others have brought. I’m a big fan of Epi leather in particular, probably because it does wear so well and I find the texture attractive. I also have pieces in both Taurillon and Taiga and would be interested in more details on how Taiga specifically fits into the different LV leather offerings.

I was wondering if anyone could definitively answer this question - because I've read conflicted information regarding the embossing process used for Epi Leather.

Is the leather embossed with the characteristic "wavy lines" before the coating materials are applied.... or does the embossing occur after the coating? I'm sitting here, searching "How is Epi Leather made", and I'm seeing both explanations. :confused1:

My first question is: Is Vachetta always full grain leather?
I found the pic I was looking for for this one! :smile:

Yes, it is. Usually it is just the totally 'nude' and natural vegetable tanned leather (hence the name Vache Végétal Naturel), that we all know and love. When new, it is porous and more matte, and with time it develops a darker colour and a beautiful sheen, the lovely patina :smile:
For a few models they pre-tan the VVN, so the patina process gets a jumpstart and the bag won't be as sensitive. The Diane, the Odéon and the Boîte Chapeau are such models with this 'aged' VVN, as they call it.
If you look at your VVN items from up close, you can easily see the pores, if you have items that have an ample amount of VVN (like the bottom of the Alma or the Noé), then you can also see veins and natural variations in colour and texture. VVN is not a uniform material, it is truly natural and beautiful.

VVN is always full grain leather, there a few reasons why:
- Prestige: they are not H&M, using anything but the best would damage the brand. No matter how they would try to hide, it would come out. Just remember what Apple had with the Chinese factories. They tried to hide it as much as possible, they tried to act as if they provided great working conditions, and it still came out, everybody knows, and it is a PR disaster for them.
- Hard to hide: if the topmost layer would be sanded off to hide the imperfections (that is how top grain and lesser quality leathers are produced), the leather would instantly lose its natural finish, it would need some kind of treatment and coating. Simply just touching or looking at the leather tells that is hasn't received any. No thick paint.
- Heritage: their trunk makers used these best leathers a 100 years ago too. They might innovate, but that cannot mean compromise, since that would also end in a PR disaster, if they spat in the face of the ancestors. A Vuitton bag cannot be made with Michael Kors leather.
- Quality: full grain hides are the strongest. No wonder why a Vuitton bag last 10-15 years even with careless and heavy use. With care, they last for decades and decades. Leathers with inferior quality would last way less, no matter what extra tricks they'd use to reinforce them.
- Availablity: they only use full grain simply because they can, not a big deal. Quality cowhide is not a rare material, it is just not cheap. But when you sell bags for thousands, you can easily justify the hundreds for a single VVN hide.

They used this photo on the website under the Savoir Faire section, years ago. It is absolutely beautiful, and you all can see the super thick topmost layer, and how it transitions into the less dense fibers of the layers below. This is a noble material.
artisan-luxury-branding-craftsmanship.jpg

I found the pic I was looking for for this one! :smile:

Yes, it is. Usually it is just the totally 'nude' and natural vegetable tanned leather (hence the name Vache Végétal Naturel), that we all know and love. When new, it is porous and more matte, and with time it develops a darker colour and a beautiful sheen, the lovely patina :smile:
For a few models they pre-tan the VVN, so the patina process gets a jumpstart and the bag won't be as sensitive. The Diane, the Odéon and the Boîte Chapeau are such models with this 'aged' VVN, as they call it.
If you look at your VVN items from up close, you can easily see the pores, if you have items that have an ample amount of VVN (like the bottom of the Alma or the Noé), then you can also see veins and natural variations in colour and texture. VVN is not a uniform material, it is truly natural and beautiful.

VVN is always full grain leather, there a few reasons why:
- Prestige: they are not H&M, using anything but the best would damage the brand. No matter how they would try to hide, it would come out. Just remember what Apple had with the Chinese factories. They tried to hide it as much as possible, they tried to act as if they provided great working conditions, and it still came out, everybody knows, and it is a PR disaster for them.
- Hard to hide: if the topmost layer would be sanded off to hide the imperfections (that is how top grain and lesser quality leathers are produced), the leather would instantly lose its natural finish, it would need some kind of treatment and coating. Simply just touching or looking at the leather tells that is hasn't received any. No thick paint.
- Heritage: their trunk makers used these best leathers a 100 years ago too. They might innovate, but that cannot mean compromise, since that would also end in a PR disaster, if they spat in the face of the ancestors. A Vuitton bag cannot be made with Michael Kors leather.
- Quality: full grain hides are the strongest. No wonder why a Vuitton bag last 10-15 years even with careless and heavy use. With care, they last for decades and decades. Leathers with inferior quality would last way less, no matter what extra tricks they'd use to reinforce them.
- Availablity: they only use full grain simply because they can, not a big deal. Quality cowhide is not a rare material, it is just not cheap. But when you sell bags for thousands, you can easily justify the hundreds for a single VVN hide.

They used this photo on the website under the Savoir Faire section, years ago. It is absolutely beautiful, and you all can see the super thick topmost layer, and how it transitions into the less dense fibers of the layers below. This is a noble material.
View attachment 5721374
That was very interesting! Thanks for your time and work to answer my question!!!

It's a good feeling, to know that all vvn leathers are the best quality.

Reactions: BULL
@BULL
Maybe you know anything about the leather from the bubblegram line?

The one thing I've noticed is, that I can see another colour under the top layer colour and I think that means that the leather isn't completely dyed. Maybe there is only the top sprayed with colour. That wouldbe a shame then this doesn't mean good quality.

@BULL
Maybe you know anything about the leather from the bubblegram line?

The one thing I've noticed is, that I can see another colour under the top layer colour and I think that means that the leather isn't completely dyed. Maybe there is only the top sprayed with colour. That wouldbe a shame then this doesn't mean good quality.
You mean on the edges?

Epi and Vernis leather. What to clean them with and what not to use.
I always recommend an everything free baby wipe. I usually go another round with tissues to dry it up, but only on the regular leathers or canvas. I'd use something softer for the Vernis. I have seen quite a few older pieces that were scratched up badly. And as they say that we shouldn't use tissue paper for our glasses, the same goes for the transparent PVC finish on the Vernis as well.

Would like to know more about empriente leather. I've ordered a few pieces from Fashionphile and ended up sending them back as they felt thin to me. What type of leather is it and why does it feel so thin?
It is nice calfskin, but with a heavier than needed finish. Although it depends on what model you are referring to and from which era.
When originally introduced, Empreinte was quite a soft, squishy leather, expecially on bags that not featured structural reinforcement. But since the finish was more natural, the embossed pattern faded over time, in some cases, very prominently. Empreinte buyers were not pleased. If you pay for the Monogram, you won't be happy if the Monogram disappears :biggrin: So Vuitton reengineered Empreinte to feature a much much heavier finish. On Épi, the leather gets a more compressed, tighter, sturdier top layer from the pattern embossing. On Empreinte they needed to apply a thicker coat of paint. That is something I personally don't like in this case. Because the pattern says leather, but the touch doesn't.

I was wondering if anyone could definitively answer this question - because I've read conflicted information regarding the embossing process used for Epi Leather.

Is the leather embossed with the characteristic "wavy lines" before the coating materials are applied.... or does the embossing occur after the coating? I'm sitting here, searching "How is Epi Leather made", and I'm seeing both explanations. :confused1:
It is a deep dyed leather, also probably gets a final coat of paint before embossing. My guess would be that after that only the lines on the ridges of the pattern are painted.

Reactions: TomMi39
My question maybe not related to the post but i cannot make a new post since i am the new member. I purchased my LV twist one handle bb in lv store, and the lock hardware have scratch so i asked for exchange. They swap me the new one but i noticed the bag keep flopping over, cant stand. Instead of exchange i asked for return. I just wonder if the bag is fake ? Do lv store selling fake product? I also purchased multi pochette on same day and notice there is weird yellow stitches inside the bag so i also asked for exchange. My first experience with lv is not great.

My question maybe not related to the post but i cannot make a new post since i am the new member. I purchased my LV twist one handle bb in lv store, and the lock hardware have scratch so i asked for exchange. They swap me the new one but i noticed the bag keep flopping over, cant stand. Instead of exchange i asked for return. I just wonder if the bag is fake ? Do lv store selling fake product? I also purchased multi pochette on same day and notice there is weird yellow stitches inside the bag so i also asked for exchange. My first experience with lv is not great.
Quality in general isn't so good these days.... that's the problem!