Food Alinea

Blue824

Jan 9, 2006
http://www.alinearestaurant.com/

Has anyone ever been? We were supposed to go for Valentines Day and then decided we didn't want to spend that much money, but we have some friends coming in town in a month or so and they really wanted to go, so we made reservations. We're just going to do the tasting menu of 12-13 courses. I'm looking forward to it. If nothing else, it should be a unique dining experience! Just curious what the experience of others has been...

I have been! It was an amazing experience, and the best meal of my life.
We did the 29 course with wine pairing. I am a chef and went with a group of chefs and sommeliers.
It did get a bit long so the 13 course isnt a bad idea-but I strongly recommend doing the wine pairing-it truly enhances the food, and it is nice not to have to think about it during the meal.

I have been! It was an amazing experience, and the best meal of my life.
We did the 29 course with wine pairing. I am a chef and went with a group of chefs and sommeliers.
It did get a bit long so the 13 course isnt a bad idea-but I strongly recommend doing the wine pairing-it truly enhances the food, and it is nice not to have to think about it during the meal.

Thanks for responding!! I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal there , I've heard some say it is overrated, but then again, don't people say that about every expensive restaurant?

Yes, I was thinking the longer meal may be too long for us... 13 courses lasts 3+ hours so I think we'll probably be OK with that. Our wallets will also be happier :P We are most definitely doing the wine pairings, especially with all the attention their sommelier has gotten. Maybe until a year or two ago I did not realize the profound effect the right wine can have with a dish, it is pretty incredible.

I've not been to Alinea (yet!), but have been to another fabulous restaurant in relatively the same area: Sweets & Savories.... They also do a prix fixe menu for larger groups, and the service was exceptional. It's definitely more casual.....

http://www.sweetsandsavorieschicago.com/

Thanks Pidgeon, I'll have to save that one for another dinner! My list of places I need to try keeps growing!

Have a great time- I know you will enjoy it.
I went a month ago during my first visit to Chicago. You are really lucky to live there-such a beautiful city with so many great restaurants.

DH and I went in December 06 only to have dinner there. I wish we could have spent more time in Chicago though. We did the tour and the pairings, took 5 hours. I wouldn't say everything tasted great but every was course was something special. I still dream about the hot potato/cold potato.

The chef/owner has (had hopefully) cancer. I hope he's made a full recovery. He's not just ingenious with food, he's super hot.

You'll have a great time. I'm excited for you. I wish we were going back soon.