Alexandra Shipp

Sasha2012

Jul 28, 2012
http://www.justjared.com/2014/09/28/alexandra-shipp-becomes-aaliyah-in-new-lifetime-movie-trailer/

The trailer for the upcoming Lifetime movie Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B is finally here!

Alexandra Shipp stars in the film as the late singer who tragically died in a plane crash back in 2001 when she was just 22. While we don’t get any footage from the film in the trailer, we see some of Aaliyah‘s signature dance moves and of course her fashion sense.

Pictured inside: Alexandra walking the red carpet at the 2014 Teen Vogue Young Hollywood Party with Emporio Armani on Friday night (September 26) in Beverly Hills, Calif.

FYI: Alexandra is wearing a BCBG romper, Zara shoes, an Erickson Beaman Rocks necklace, and bracelets, rings, and earrings by XIV Karats.

Attachments

• alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-01.jpg
    alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-01.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 29,213
  • alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-02.jpg
    alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-02.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1,218
  • alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-03.jpg
    alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-03.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 6,396
  • alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-04.jpg
    alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-lifetime-trailer-04.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 1,071
http://www.etonline.com/movies/1521...Stories+(Entertainment+Tonight:+Breaking+News)

Alexandra Shipp on Playing Aaliyah: 'It Was Scary'

Nickelodeon star Alexandra Shipp stepped into a ring of controversy when she took on the role of Aaliyah in the Lifetime biopic, Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B, and she opened up about the process to ET's Kevin Frazier.

"It was scary," said Shipp, 23, who had previously appeared in Nickelodeon's House of Anubis and the TV movie Drumline 2 opposite Nick Cannon. "But I knew that I had to do it. Something in me was just like, 'You have to do this. You're going to love this experience more than anything.'"

Before losing her life at 22 in a tragic plane crash, Aaliyah sold more than 24 million albums.

Several obstacles almost prevented the movie from ever being made. Disney star Zendaya Coleman, the original actress cast as Aaliyah, dropped out of the project after saying that it "wasn't a good choice for [her]."

"After actually starting the project, I feel like there were certain things that were missing," Coleman told ET at the 2014 BET Awards. "And things that weren't 100 percent taken care of. And I feel like, if I'm going to portray one of my idols, and someone I feel so important and strongly about, it has to be done right, and it has to be done 120 percent."

Additionally, the project allegedly met friction with Aaliyah's parents, as they reportedly tried to stop the movie from happening, and Lifetime wasn't granted the rights to use Aaliyah's actual music. (Iggy Azalea's "Goddess" is featured in the trailer, kicking off still more criticism.)

The inability to use the original music may have worked out in Shipp's favor. She got to sing all the songs in the movie, and judging by the preview she gave Kevin Frazier, she does an amazing job.

"Don't you worry, boo. I deliver," Shipp said about her vocals.

Watch the video to hear what Shipp had to say about Aaliyah's infamous marriage to R. Kelly when she was 15 and he was 27. Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B debuts November 15.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/10/16/alexandra-shipp-aaliyah-movie/

Meet Alexandra Shipp, Lifetime’s ‘Aaliyah’

The moment Alexandra Shipp realized her role as Aaliyah was something special came during a scene she shot involving R. Kelly, where her on-screen parents were chastising her about getting married at the age of 15 to the star. “When we finished, everyone started clapping,” she tells Speakeasy. “It was that moment that I was like ‘I know I’m doing something here.’”

For the 23-year-old actress, her role as the beloved R&B star in Lifetime’s coming biopic “Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B” came in a precarious way. The original star was supposed to be Zendaya Coleman, who dropped out after reported backlash from Aaliyah’s family. Shipp, who lost the audition to Coleman, got the call and immediately signed on. “In the beginning I was a little standoffish, but it wasn’t because of the material,” she explains. “It was because of the controversy. I’m fairly new to this game and I didn’t want to ruffle any feathers, but at the same time, I felt the story had to be told.”

The film was shot over the course of a month this past summer, and focuses on Aaliyah’s life as a rising musical force (the movie is based on the book “Aaliyah: More Than a Woman,” by Wall Street Journal editor Christopher J. Farley) up until her untimely death in 2001. It’s a behind-the-scenes account of what Shipp describes as her “becoming a woman,” that touches on controversial moments like her marriage to R. Kelly, but quickly moves past them. “The drama that all of that encompasses is not the focal point of the movie,” she says.

Just Jared

2014 Variety Power of Women presented by Lifetime held at Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel on Friday afternoon (October 10) in Los Angeles.

Attachments

• mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-03.jpg
    mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-03.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 759
  • mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-20.jpg
    mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-20.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 643
  • mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-15.jpg
    mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-15.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 687
  • mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-22.jpg
    mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-22.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 752
  • mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-25.jpg
    mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-25.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 633
  • mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-13.jpg
    mae-whitman-nikki-reed-alexandra-shipp-variety-power-women-event-13.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 997
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/l...of-rb-movie-photos-video-details-and-contest/

Lifetime’s ‘Aaliyah, The Princess of R&B’ Movie Photos, Video, Details and Contest!

We are excited about the Lifetime original movie, “Aaliyah, The Princess of R&B” biopic, which premieres on November 15th at 8pm ET!

Lifetime’s Original Movie, Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B, stars Alexandra Shipp (House of Anubis) as the beloved actress and music sensation. Ms. Shipp portrays Aaliyah in the early days of Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number and up until her death. The movie is based on the bestseller Aaliyah: More Than a Woman by former Time Magazine music editor Christopher John Farley (Game World) and chronicles the her rise to fame and tragic death.

The Lifetime movie will cover her high-profile relationship with Damon Dash and her controversial short-lived marriage to R. Kelly.

In an interview with Hal Boedeker of the Orlando Sentinel, Wendy Williams, whose production company is part of the credits, says nothing will be “distasteful.”

“We let you know what happened with Aaliyah and R. Kelly. Nothing is distasteful. You don’t want to be distasteful, but you need to tell a story.”

Lifetime’s Aaliyah movie premieres on November 15 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. The two-hour movie, executive produced by Howard Braunstein, Debra Martin Chase and Wendy Williams and staring the multi-talented actress and singer/songwriter Alexandra Shipp, follows the beautiful and talented performer’s inspirational journey. From her debut on Star Search at the age of ten, the challenges she faced during her rise to become the Princess of R&B and the legacy she left behind, Aaliyah continues to be one of the most successful artists in the recording industry and was named Billboard’s tenth most famous R&B artists of the past 25 years.

The film follows the beautiful and talented performer’s inspirational journey, from her debut on Star Search at the age of ten, to the challenges she faced during her rise to become the Princess of R&B.

Backstory:

On August 25, 2001, at the height of her popularity, her life was tragically cut short when a plane carrying the singer and some of her video crew crashed after takeoff from a Bahamian runway. Although just 22-years-old at the time of her death, Aaliyah continues to lead a legacy as Billboard’s tenth most famous R&B artist of the past 25 years and one of the recording industry’s most successful artists in history.

Giveaway:

To enter, follow @AprilMac @monstersandcrit @LifetimeTV and mark your entry using the #AaliyahMovie hashtag.

Answer all these questions separately to be entered in the $150 GiftCard contest from LifetimeTV (winner selected November 14) :

• As an icon and legendary singer, dancer and actress, what are some of your favorite Aaliyah moments from her career?
• Which of Aaliyah’s acting roles was your favorite?
• What is your all-time favorite song from music icon Aaliyah?
• What was your favorite Aaliyah fashion moment and have you ever tried to recreate it?
• Which one of your favorite Aaliyah songs, dance videos and/or movie roles best resonates with you?

Attachments

• L-Aaliyah-Key-Art-Premiere-Vertical-768x1024.jpg
    L-Aaliyah-Key-Art-Premiere-Vertical-768x1024.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 516
  • Aaliyah-Day21-CK-0425-1024x683.jpg
    Aaliyah-Day21-CK-0425-1024x683.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 490
  • Aaliyah-Day21-CK-0181c-1024x685.jpg
    Aaliyah-Day21-CK-0181c-1024x685.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 628
  • Aaliyah-Day19-CK-0260c-1024x682.jpg
    Aaliyah-Day19-CK-0260c-1024x682.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 627
  • Aaliyah-Day3-CK-0587-1024x693.jpg
    Aaliyah-Day3-CK-0587-1024x693.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 509
  • Aaliyah-Day21-CK-0308-1024x677.jpg
    Aaliyah-Day21-CK-0308-1024x677.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 534
http://www.wetpaint.com/movies/articles/2014-10-23-alexandra-shipp-drumline-sequel-encompassing

Alexandra Shipp on Drumline Sequel and Encompassing Aaliyah For Lifetime Biopic — Exclusive!

Actress Alexandra Shipp has got a lot on her hands these days. Not only has this gal joined the Drumline franchise by playing the lead role in its sequel, Drumline: A New Beat, she also took on the titular role of Aaliyah in the controversial Lifetime biopic of the late singer. So, how did Alex balance it all? And what does she think of her new TV movies? Well, when Wetpaint Entertainment caught up with the actress, she gave us the scoop!

Wetpaint Entertainment: Can you tell us about Drumline: A New Beat?

Alexandra Shipp: This new Drumline is exactly the way that it’s titled, it’s a new beat. It’s following these kids through going through the first year of college and there showing you all of this world through the music that they’re playing.

What can you tell us about your character, Danielle?

I play a girl, Danielle Raymond, who wants to be the first female section leader of her college marching band. She is one of the boys, and yet not. She’s a fun character to play because not only is she a hard worker, but she’s kind of a girly girl. She can get down in the mud, swinging, and playing and marching and then get all dolled up and look pretty.

What’s it like being part of a movie franchise?

It’s nerve-wrecking, I’m going to be honest with you. It’s fun, but it’s nerve-wracking you know. This movie had a huge following in the beginning and we just had to live up to their expectations, but it’s also not a sequel since it definitely is more of an outlook on Drumline 12 years later.

You’ve been pretty busy this year with Drumline: A New Beat and Aaliyah: Princess of R&B! Can you tell us what it was like landing the titular role of Aaliyah?

It was exciting! For me, I saw it as an opportunity to encompass one of my favorite artists and a person who really inspires me to better myself as an artist as well. Aaliyah was a huge part of a lot of people’s lives growing up and her music played a huge role in my life, so I was really excited to play her. Also There are also a lot of young, female black leads and I was like ‘Man, this is an opportunity for me to showcase my talent in a leading role.’ So I was just over the moon when I heard about the project and when I was offered it I was like ‘um, yes!’

I mean, there was a little trepidation about it in the beginning with all the controversy surrounding it, but I’m thick-skinned. And, when it comes to people having opinions, everyone has them. And if I allowed what people said to affect what I did in my day-to-day life, I wouldn’t be where I’m at.

What was it like to get into the part of Aaliyah?

It was all technical. I wanted to be sure that if anyone was a fan of Aaliyah, they’d be like, ‘yeah, that’s her signature look’ or ‘that’s her signature smile.’ I really wanted people to be able to recognize Aaliyah in the movie. Also, I wanted to show to people who have no idea who Aaliyah is because they were born after she passed — I wanted them to see the beautiful woman that she was behind the curtain a little bit.

What was crazy, was looking in the mirror and seeing Aaliyah. I didn’t see my face. And we’d watch scenes back and it didn’t seem like me, you know? It didn’t look like me. I didn’t sound like me, it didn’t walk like me. I was trying 100 percent to encompass this woman whenever that little red light turned on. It was really fun. We would be on set and people would get chills because it would be eerie looking at myself or looking at the scenes and being like, ‘wow, she’s here.’

We know the movie has stirred quite a bit of controversy, including the fact that it will feature Aaliyah’s short-lived marriage to R. Kelly. What’s your take on that?

I think it’s great. That was a part of her life. But he was also in her life for two years. It was a moment we had to touch on, because without using her first album, Age [Ain’t Nothing But a Number], it would’ve been a lot different. It would’ve been a different story. So we talk about R.Kelly, we talk about the marriage, but this is Lifetime. We’re making a movie to celebrate a woman’s life. We weren’t turning it into some kind of drama or never-been-seen moment. Because, as any adult knows, your relationship is between you and one other person. And since Aaliyah’s passed on and R. Kelly’s not talking about their relationship, there’s only so much that can be said about the situation.

Do you sing any of Aaliyah’s music in the film?

I do, I sing all of the songs. It was a lot of un. it was very technical. For me, I wanted every single line of the song to sound like Aaliyah. I didn’t want it to necessarily sound like me in any way, shape, or form. I wanted to 100 percent, fully encompass, so I listened to her songs over and over again, and listened to the song when she was younger. I created an arc of maturity, not only within her as a woman, but within her music, because that was the thing. You saw her look like a woman and you saw her sound like a woman. And she was completely different at 22, so I tried to do a little bit — or a lot of bit of Aaliyah.

What’s your favorite Aaliyah song?

“Try Again” — everytime time I hear that song, it just brings a smile to your face. When you’re feeling like crap and you hear “Dust yourself off and try again,” it kind just puts you in a different mindset, 100 percent. Because we all have problems in our lives, but she took something as simple as that little phrase and made it uplifting. It’s not an easy thing to do.

Co-Executive Producer Wendy Williams said Aaliyah’s family would be proud of the film. Do you agree?

I can’t necessarily speak for the family, but I’m just hoping that when they watch the movie, they understand why we made it and they understand a little of where we were coming from because we wanted to make a movie to really celebrate and showcase this beautiful woman’s life.

[Aaliyah] affected so many people, it’s almost impossible to say that no one will make a movie about her, you know? So for me, hopefully they will really love this movie, and they will really love how beautifully we made this movie. I mean, everyone in this movie are huge fans of Aaliyah. All of the actors really did their homework on every single role … even while we’re working, we’re discovering more about this beautiful woman’s life and her family. It was a great process. I know for a fact they will at least like the movie.

And what should fans of Aaliyah or those who didn’t know her expect to see about her in this film?

You should expect to see Aaliyah in a completely different light in this movie. It’s not focused on her music, because she wasn’t just her music. So what we wanted to do with this movie is just show people that she was a normal girl who has this light inside of her that no one could deny and no one could turn away from and you really see that in this movie. I really do hope fans see her light. I encompassed it as much as I could.
Drumline: A New Beat airs on Monday, October 27 at 9 p.m. on VH1 and Aaliyah: Princess of R&B airs on Saturday, November 15 at 8 p.m. ET on Lifetime.

http://www.justjared.com/2015/01/22...-alexandra-shipp-to-star-in-x-men-apocalypse/

'X-Men: Apocalypse' Casts Young Storm, Cyclops, & Jean Grey!

X-Men: Apocalypse has found some new mutants in Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan and Alexandra Shipp, according to a tweet from director Bryan Singer.

Sophie will play Jean Grey, who has been played by Famke Janssen in the past movies.

Tye is starring as Cyclops — previously played by James Marsden.

Alexandra is playing Storm, portrayed by Halle Berry previously.

“Meet our new and brilliant young mutants: @Alexshipppp as #Storm @SophieT as #JeanGrey and @TyeSheridan as #Cyclops. #XmenApocalypse,” Bryan tweeted.

Attachments

• XMenApoc1.jpg
    XMenApoc1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 439
  • xmencasting.jpg
    xmencasting.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 485