Alexa question - is this a quality issue or just normal?

moonriver99

Aug 4, 2014
Mulberry experts, advice please!

After just a few outings with my new alexa, I noticed that one corner has got scuffs with the colour coming off (tried Collonil on it and nothing's changed). I'm wondering whether this is normal wear and tear with the alexa? Has this happened to anyone else's alexa that's been used only a few times? I always take good care with my bags, esp. with this new bag which is my first proper designer bag, and I don't know whether this will only get much worse with time?

I remember Izzybet had the same problem (here) (though the scruff on mine looks worse) and Mulberry offered her an exchange for a different Alexa. However, not sure if I want to proceed that way as I do love the smooth touch leather and the gorgeous subdued dark blush colour which I believe has sold out in the outlets.

Hmmm... I wish Mulberry had made the corners more hardwearing so that the colour doesn't come off easily, even if it's smooth touch leather!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 11.45.55.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 11.45.55.png
    805.6 KB · Views: 949
Hi, I would say after just a few outings your bag should not have worn as badly
as badly as it has.
You would have needed to be very careless with her for this to happen so quickly and I'm quite sure you weren't :smile:
I think I'd be inclined to get on to Mulbery and possibly send them a picture in the email so as they can see the damage.
It seems to be more common on the lighter coloured bags, you are sure it's not colour transfer? By the looks of your pic it does look as if it has worn through just like Izzybet's did
I wouldn't wait for it to get worse and would contact Customer Services now rather than later
I do really think Mulberry should have added feet to the Alexa as this maybe would prevent corners rubbing so much.
Someone else will give you advice but I hope you get it sorted out as it is too much money to spend on a bag to be ruined after a few outings.
Good luck and let us know how you get on :smile:

Hi, I would say after just a few outings your bag should not have worn as badly
as badly as it has.
You would have needed to be very careless with her for this to happen so quickly and I'm quite sure you weren't :smile:
I think I'd be inclined to get on to Mulbery and possibly send them a picture in the email so as they can see the damage.
It seems to be more common on the lighter coloured bags, you are sure it's not colour transfer? By the looks of your pic it does look as if it has worn through just like Izzybet's did
I wouldn't wait for it to get worse and would contact Customer Services now rather than later
I do really think Mulberry should have added feet to the Alexa as this maybe would prevent corners rubbing so much.
Someone else will give you advice but I hope you get it sorted out as it is too much money to spend on a bag to be ruined after a few outings.
Good luck and let us know how you get on :smile:
Thank you Molly! It's definitely not colour transfer as a couple of other corners do have darker marks and I've managed to remove them with collonil oil, but with this one I think it's worn through. :sad: Right now it's not really a problem, I just don't want it to get rapidly worse in time!

I wonder what scuffing is like on other alexas...I would imagine the shrunken calf would be quite tough, but don't know the extent of scuffing on other leathers.

Will probably email Mulberry and see what they say.

I agree with Molly, I don't think that's acceptable. I'd email [email protected], send a photo and ask them for assistance. Keep us posted. Good luck and sorry to hear this has happened to your lovey Lexie :sad:
Thank you UKpandagirl, Mulberry's just got back to say that they've forwarded the photograph to the head of production quality to assess further. So I'll wait and hear what they say about this.

Your scuffing looks like mine, mine was a small patch but when I was packing her up to return I took more pictures and noticed more scuffing and I had only used her one weekend.
I bet they will ask you to send her back for a review, it only took them about 10 days to look at mine and reply with a decision.

Thank you UKpandagirl, Mulberry's just got back to say that they've forwarded the photograph to the head of production quality to assess further. So I'll wait and hear what they say about this.

So glad they've started dealing with it immediately for you. It's a shame it's scuffed so bad in such little wear but at least you're going to get it seen to. x

Your scuffing looks like mine, mine was a small patch but when I was packing her up to return I took more pictures and noticed more scuffing and I had only used her one weekend.
I bet they will ask you to send her back for a review, it only took them about 10 days to look at mine and reply with a decision.
Thanks Izzybet, Mulberry has said that they've forwarded the photograph to the head of production quality to assess further. I don't know whether there are two stages of assessment - first by photograph sent via email, and then by looking at the actual bag sent through the post? Or they might possibly reach a judgment just by looking at the photo. The thing is I actually really like it in dark blush, such a pity that the smooth leather is so easily scuffed.....

Thanks Izzybet, Mulberry has said that they've forwarded the photograph to the head of production quality to assess further. I don't know whether there are two stages of assessment - first by photograph sent via email, and then by looking at the actual bag sent through the post? Or they might possibly reach a judgment just by looking at the photo. The thing is I actually really like it in dark blush, such a pity that the smooth leather is so easily scuffed.....

I would agree with the other comments and say it's not acceptable. It shouldn't have happened this quickly unless you have treated it really badly, dumped it on the ground or kicked it about :graucho: which doesn't sound the case.

I have light coloured Mulberry bags that I've had for quite some time and none have scuffs on the corners.

Mulberry will usually ask you to send the bag back and then they will go from there. If there aren't anymore available they will offer you a credit note. It's a difficult decision as if they do have more stock you take the chance of it happening again.

I've always found Mulberry aftercare to be very good.

This is quite common if you take a look through posts on tpf. First time i wore mine cross body all four corners looked like they lost the colour, just like it slid off. Mulberry had absolutely no interest in what had happened to my bag and i just got a snooty response from CS ( as expected depending on who answers the phone) Others have had theirs sorted straight away.
I Collonil my bags once a month ( the corners more) and are well looked after. No amount of gel is going to put the colour back. I did find a Collonil colour polish that softens the colour loss slightly. One thing i will say is after it happend it did make me relax about using her and because of it i use her more and love her more now she is slightly less perfect :smile:.

If its still in warranty you shouldnt have a problem in getting it repaired if they still have the colour leather .

So... After inspecting my photos Mulberry have just got back to me saying

"it is in beleiving that we will not be able to carry out a repair to help reverse this damage. So that we can be sure and to offer you any best available solution, we would wish to have your bag back with us so this can be confirmed."

I asked what will happen to the bag once I send it in, and they replied:

"We will confirm if a repair or method is possible in the first instance to remedy the issue.

If not, we will have to have your bag go through a thorough Quality Assessment and see if an exchange can be offered."

Sounds a bit self-defeating, doesn't it, to say that they will not be able to carry out a repair and then to say that they will confirm whether a repair is possible? In any case I imagine this will take weeks and really not sure if I can be bothered with all this. I'm pretty sure that the dark blush has sold out across the outlets so they won't be able to find an exchange anyway. :tdown:

I am having a similar problem with my conker lambskin alexa. I was told that it was a delicate leather when I bought her. But I have only had her 5 months and use her at weekends. I went into my local mulberry shop in manchester and was told to use the gel, but I could send her back if not happy. They would assess and contact me. Today I went into the outlet at Cheshire Oaks and was told definitely not to use the gel as it can cause more damage! I don't know what to do. I can live with the scuffing if it doesn't get worse. If I send the bag back and they can replace the piping, surely this will happen again? Oh...and I was told never to put her on the floor!!!!!! Think I am going to ring customer services tomorrow.

I am having a similar problem with my conker lambskin alexa. I was told that it was a delicate leather when I bought her. But I have only had her 5 months and use her at weekends. I went into my local mulberry shop in manchester and was told to use the gel, but I could send her back if not happy. They would assess and contact me. Today I went into the outlet at Cheshire Oaks and was told definitely not to use the gel as it can cause more damage! I don't know what to do. I can live with the scuffing if it doesn't get worse. If I send the bag back and they can replace the piping, surely this will happen again? Oh...and I was told never to put her on the floor!!!!!! Think I am going to ring customer services tomorrow.

Hmmm, is it the same one as on the left that you have? If so, I sent mine back as it came with a scratch and some dodgy stitching. I was also concerned it would wear too easily on the corners and dry out.

Do you have any pics?

I think I'd be inclined to send it back.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1416167457.641355.jpg