Alexa... personal choice or poor quality control

As some of you may know i found an Alexa OS in oak, i have has 2 weeks of negotiations with Mulberry and various stores over its smooth "Plasticity" look. It will be sadly returned on sat because i can't love it without it being a bit wrinkly. Anyway this got me wondering if it is me with the prob or the quality control ?

Any thoughts x

I do not think you are to blame PL, its the variations of the leather that have made finding the good ones so much harder.

lets be honest, if they were all smooth, or all wrinkly you could know immediately if you were going to love the bag, but each one is so very very different, that its complete pot luck what you get.
Ofcourse, Mulberry will maintain that leather is inconsistant and every bag will be different, but there are not the hugely different variations on the bays for instance that we have all experienced on the lexie!

I think, with Alexas Mulberry are taking us for a ride! Wait a bit, when numerous problems start with Alexa leathers, cracks, before-time wear... lots of complaints... we will see... I personally make a stand against Alexa for all those "features" of their leather, and will refuse to buy until Mulberry start producing nice consistent quality in this model...:graucho::graucho::graucho:

Personally I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that there are problems with all alexas as the ink buffalo for example seems to be more reliable. Again there are big variabilities with the leather type (smooth or wrinkly) but I'm not sure if that then translates to variability in quality and in some respect might be a bonus as different people prefer different leather.

I looked at the display models of Grape Alexas in Harrods and wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be that they were all sold out. Not just because the colour was bluer/cooler than I'd hoped but also because the top flap was very wrinkly - more wrinkly than the main body of the bag, I thought this was possibly where they had been hanging from their plaited handles and the handle had pulled on the leather of the flap (if this makes sense?).

From that I deduced that the leather could wrinkle quite quickly and easily if the bag was used often, even if it was smooth when you bought one that had not been out on display.

I think it really down to preference but i do think that a few of the new bags would look better in my eyes with better or old school leather. I saw an alexa today in HoF Oxford street that looked like those fake pleather bags you see the man just out side the store selling.

Now a Darwin or or NVT leather Alexa and mulberry would have my attention.

Last edited:
I don't think it's just you, PL. I've heard a lot more complaints about the various qualities of the Alexa leather. I suppose at this point it is not safe to buy one without having seen it irl.

Thank you all for your comments, DH returned alexa on saturday i could not bear to part with it even though i know its not "the one".... so now begins my mission to find the perfect one for me .. apparently more are expected later on in the year .... can't believe i had one and had to let it go :crybaby:

Leah x

I think it really down to preference but i do think that a few of the new bags would look better in my eyes with better or old school leather. I saw an alexa today in HoF Oxford street that looked like those fake pleather bags you see the man just out side the store selling.

Now a Darwin or or NVT leather Alexa and mulberry would have my attention.

Ditto. I love the look of the Alexa, and if they made it in NVT or Darwin, it would be mine.

I haven't had personal experience with the buffalo leather Alexa, (still on the wait list for my OS oak) But I thought the summer tweed was so terrible in quality. I will say though when in store the other day I saw the new Alexa tweed in the clutch and it is SO much nicer than the summer tweed was. Maybe they are starting to quality control the items a little bit more? You'll find a perfect Alexa just for you. Maybe I should call the store you returned yours to. I don't mind a less wrinkly Alexa ;)

hi thanks for all yor kind words... ALP713, if you would like the stores details please feel free to PM me ... i have a few pics too which i could email to you. I have no idea if it is still there or if they ship overseas.... but may be worth a try x