Alexa Chung

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Attending the Serpentine Summer Party 2018 on June 19, 2018 in London, England.

Tumblr/Harper's Bazaar UK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. She looks pretty here

3. Generalny lovely. The dress! Amazing! Hair & make-up really good. Shoes ... bleee, ugly, very bad (my opinion). I prefer Alexa with short hair (ca. 2016 the best look ever!), but I guess because of L'oreal sponshorship she has to stay away from the scissors ;)

4. Oh, Alexa, Alexa, sometimes I admire you, but sometimes ...
    From Alexa's online shop .. as last chance to sell ...
    WTF? Has she ever worn one of them? Her motto 'I design stuff I would wear myself' is a total crap! And so are those pieces! And prices ... :O :biggrin: :O .. good luck girl, new business plan needed, products vs. prices vs. target group ... the basics for every business ;) fac.PNG

5. She looks exquisite except those shoes look like beach slides from some angles. At any rate, they are too clunky for this delicate ensemble.

AnBuW likes this.
  6. Attending the Polo Ralph Lauren and British Vogue Wimbledon day on July 9, 2018 in London, England.

Vogue UK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chloe302225 and MizGemma like this.
  7. Attending the Intimissimi Show on September 5, 2018 in Verona, Italy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Has her hair ever looked good? Sorry but I've seen photos of her for years and I always shake my own head of fine, lazy hair.

Hobbsy, zen1965 and scarlet555 like this.
  9. For Shape Magazine - The Beauty Issue (October 2018)

Photographed by Alexei Hay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. The future of fashion: Complex, diverse, and more vocal than ever

by Fiona Sinclair Scott

[...]

Fashion's complex ecosystem

Akter is one of four people to appear on the front cover of Business of Fashion's (BoF) cover this month, which reveals the title's annual BoF 500 list. Now in its sixth year, the list has come to serve as the definitive guide to the people shaping fashion today.

Akter and her fellow cover stars provide a snapshot of where the industry is trying -- slowly, but perhaps more surely than in previous years -- to go. As a set, they attempt to offer a more accurate picture of global fashion industry's complex ecosystem.

Completing the line-up are: Francois Henri-Pinault, CEO of Kering, a luxury group that owns brands like Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent and Balenciaga; the young Yara Shahidi, an actress, model, activist and student in her first year at Harvard; and Virgil Abloh, the first ever black artistic director at Louis Vuitton.

In a note announcing this year's cover stars, BoF founder and editor-in-chief Imran Amed described 2018 as "harrowing," referencing sexual misconduct (allegations against photographers Mario Testino, Bruce Weber and Patrick Demarchelier have all surfaced this year) and ongoing gender inequality issues, as well as the conditions and pay of workers in the industry.

Speaking from his office before the list was announced, Amed admitted that the selection process was troubling this year.

"In such a difficult year, what was there to celebrate?" he said. "In previous years, the BoF 500 has been a huge celebration for the fashion industry. But this year, in particular, we wanted to put our lens on the people who are attacking and addressing some of these issues head on.

"And so it's a celebration, but it's a celebration of the people who are emblematic of the change that we need to see in fashion."

The other BoF cover stars have different, but perhaps no less pressing, concerns about the state of the industry. At the other end of the supply chain, Pinault sees an inability to look ahead as a major threat.

"The biggest risk for the luxury industry, as for many others, is short-term thinking," he said. "It's good to run a flourishing business now, but what about tomorrow?

"As business leaders, we have a responsibility towards our shareholders, clients and other stakeholders -- as well as to the planet -- to consider long-term issues and to try to anticipate possible risks, even if they seem extremely hypothetical. For example, what if one day we could no longer use leather? Or cotton?"

BoF 500 veteran Alexa Chung (she was added to the list in 2013), a model who recently started her own label, has similar fears about the sustainability of fashion.

"The most pressing issue for me right now is the environmental impact of fashion on the planet," she wrote in an email. "I believe we have reached a stage where companies can no longer blithely plough on doing what we do without educating ourselves about how our businesses could run in a less harmful way.

[​IMG]

"We need to advocate a circular economy by informing and engaging with our customer base and encouraging them to reconsider the consumption of a garment or accessory. We should search for solutions to collect items back, for materials to be re-used, for customers to find and use platforms to re-sell their used garments... the list goes on."

But the problems facing the fashion industry are vast and complex. Action that furthers one cause -- such as reducing consumption -- may hinder another. When asked about the messages she wanted people to hear the loudest right now, Akter said: "Keep buying clothes!"

After the Rana Plaza disaster five years ago -- where more than 1,000 workers lost their lives after a nine-story factory building collapsed suddenly in Dhaka -- it's easy to understand how consumers might feel conflicted. Should they stop buying clothes made in Bangladesh? No, said Akter. Her message is to buy responsibly, and to demand more from brands. In her opinion, the power of the consumers' collective voice must be deployed.

[...]

CNN

11. Seriously? On the cover of Shape? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    And Shape was once (and still tries to be) about 'fitness, healthy eating and work-out' :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Sorry Alexa, sorry Shape, we are so not buying this issue!

https://www.shape.com/

lanasyogamama likes this.
  12. Cigarettes and Champagne won’t keep me in shape?

Hobbsy and MizGemma like this.
  13. Sorry Luv :P Maybe, but just maybe ... if you stick to cigarettes and PURE VODKA only .... it may work ;) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: But guess what ... healthy food, healthy diet (surprise, surprise including sweets & alcohol intake :P overwhelming 2k calaries intake per day) and SPORTS, WORK OUT, FITNESS is so, so much better & healthier :heart: #rolemodels #heathylifestyle #healthywoman #happywoman

14. A-HA .. so, I'm not the only one who saw the INSANE IRONY of her being on the cover of a magazine that is supposed to espouse "healthy" ways to keep in shape!!!

15. Alexa Chung on therapy, being a modern businesswoman and her first London fashion week show

[​IMG]

By Bethan Holt

London Fashion Week begins today and one of the highlights will see Alexa Chung’s first slot on the schedule as a designer. Long a fixture on the front row, she launched her eponymous label in May 2017- proof that she has always been smarter and sharper than It girl stereotypes suggested; now, with her own brand inspired by her personal style which has set some of the biggest trends of the past 15 years (pie-crust collars, loafers, dungarees to name but a few) the Hampshire-born star is one of Britain’s most high-profile businesswomen.

We meet at the airy Dalston studio where the playlist is being finalised for Saturday’s show. Chung, 34, is remarkably relaxed - she designed the collection eight months ago, so it’s all details now. In signature Alexa style, she’s wearing a mannish striped shirt, worn-in jeans and Superga plimsolls, an ensemble to which she lends laidback elan.

She may exude cool confidence but Chung recently told a US magazine that she’s seen a therapist in the past when she feels ‘wobbly’. “That interview was in America, where it’s less frowned upon,” she laughs. “I mean, the context was L.A. where it’s all how many crystals do you have? What does your chakra therapist say?”

It’s true that in the US, having a therapist is practically de rigeur. But Chung says it was crucial in helping her to deal with the impact of being in the spotlight since the age of 16. “I’ve had quite a weird experience which was one of great privilege, but also one that’s a bit unnatural in that it’s an observed life,” she explains.

For more than a decade, she juggled TV presenting, modelling, DJ-ing, writing for Vogue and fashion collaborations (she famously had a Mulberry bag named after her and designed a collection for M&S). “I was involved in a lot of jobs which were to do with an output of energy and a lot of shoving stuff out without really taking care of myself. So then I got to a point where I’m trotting around pleasing everyone, but what do I actually want to do? [Therapy is] taking a moment to be introspective with someone that’s completely unbiased and not a friend who you can bore with your concerns.”

Chung’s own struggles have made her a very modern manager: she wants to introduce yoga and guided meditation for her 30 employees. “I think that’s the good thing about the age we live in, in which millenials such as me are a bit more like ‘hey guys it’s not all just about the empty capitalist pursuit of cash, what about our feelings?’”

This isn’t the only way in which she is blazing a trail, business-wise. “Behind every great woman is 75 lovely men.... with a lot of pocket money,” she quips when we discuss how she attracted investment in her business. “Without disclosing our entire investment portfolio, we have women who have invested in us as well,” she clarifies. “But I think I’d be remiss not to note that a lot of the meetings I walk into when it comes to finance are dominated by men," she says. It's an issue being tackled by The Telegraph's Women Mean Business campaign, which seeks to close the funding gap for female entrepreneurs. "There is a lack of women in that environment," Chung adds, noting that, thankfully, she has not had to deal with "closed minded" investors.

She emphasises that going into business shouldn’t mean conforming to certain expectations, and of course, when your entire proposition is based on your own style and personality, it’s essential to success that you don’t. “Sometimes I worry that maybe I should adapt myself to become a bit more responsible. I set up this company because I wanted to have fun."

"I don’t know what kind of business lady I am,” she mulls. “I used to read about businesswomen in magazines and you’d see them sitting on the corner of a desk looking really stern, but now I realise that business comes in all forms. I think that one thing I might have been good at, which might be a female trait, is admitting your faults and being able to bolster the area you might be less good at, with someone that is.”

Tomorrow’s show, which is being supported by AMEX, takes the theme of ‘Arrivals and Departures,' inspired by Chung’s fascination with airports and all the time she’s spent in them. “I’m someone that is fortunate to travel a lot. People are at this heightened emotional state, either nervous to fly or apprehensive to meet whoever is on the other side of it- or just excited to catch up on their Netflix downloads,” she observes with the dry wit which made her famous. There is also, she adds, “this quite inspiring styling going on. Someone will be still wearing their beachwear but then they’ve got a Puffa jacket over it.”

Chung has experienced her fair share of the phenomenon in which celebrities are photographed at the airport: a “unique experience, when you’re on a long haul flight and you get off with eyebags and some wine and tea-stained clothes. You think, ‘perfect, I’m sure I look like Rosie Huntington Whiteley right now.”

Although Chung is her own starting point for her collections, she’s been mindful of making pieces with a wider appeal than a simple ‘would I wear this?’ Take a bunny-print tea dress, which is hanging on a rail outside her office. “I made that with someone with a fuller figure in mind. I found the print on an inspiration trip to Japan. It’s got the belted waist, a nice neckline and you can unbutton it so you can either show your legs or not.”

She has been paying close attention to planning her show, and the post-catwalk celebrations, too. “We’re good at making clothes, but we’re fantastic at throwing a party,” she offers, adding that she wholeheartedly “encourages mayhem” at the bash. And, in the spirit of practising what she preaches, Chung’s cleared her diary on Sunday to do just that.

The Telegraph UK