Alert - Possible Scam

gro3602

EX TPFER DONE HERE
Apr 17, 2006
Just a posting to alert any sellers........

I recently listed a few items for sale. As the time was winding down, I received an email from a "potential" buyer.

The email read:

"Is your item the same item as this one???: XXXXXXXXXXXX" (it was a link to an item listed in an ebay store - and included the item number).

However, the link did not take me to a specific item. It looked like the main page of ebay stores. Then a window popped up asking me to log in.

I was already logged in!!

I really think it was a scam to get my password.

I reported to ebay........

Be careful! I almost fell for this one!!

And this email was through ebay's "ask seller a question" .:cursing:

Hey Gina!
As I have fallen prey twice now to ID scammers thru PayPal, I clicked on this alert at once and didn't expect it to be your thread! Can't believe the frauds are invading inside eBay--this has not happened to me yet, but I sure have gotten my fair share of emails from "PayPal" that are so professional looking and sounding that the first time I didn't think twice about sending in the info. Thank God I just happened to log into the corresponding credit card account 15 minutes later, and already there were 3 fraudulent transactions totalling @ $800.00! I then had to spend the next 3 hours cancelling ALL my accounts, report it to the 3 National Credit Bureaus, etc. What a mess! And then there are the people who purchase your stuff on BIN and then email you saying they are going to send a Money Order for twice the amount of the item to cover the shipping fees, and say to wire the leftover funds back to them! You were the one who clued me that this was a scam the first time it happened a few months ago, and explained that the M.O. would be counterfeit, and I would be out all the money! You sure saved me that time, and do you know this same thing has happened a couple of more times since then? So, thank you for helping me then and alerting all of us to this new problem going on...even though for the most part I did very well selling on Ebay, and actually reached "Power Seller" status, I have stopped because it became more of a hassle than it was worth....I was spending most of my time emailing Trust & Safety trying to get my fees back or attempting to explain my problem to some disinterested rep on Live Chat. I am so lucky I never got truly burned, but I have decided from now on I will only use eBay for buying purposes, and even then the Seller will have to be someone with a proven track record and I will ask questions before I buy. Since I reached "Power Seller" I have gotten @ 5 "surveys" from Ebay, asking me to rate various areas, or express my "concerns," and I had way more unsatisfactories than not! Again, thanks for the warning!

Hey sweetpeax!
Welcome back to tpf!
haha

Thanks for the compliment!
Glad to help.

Just to let everyone know it IS A SCAM.

I just received an email from this potential "buyer" who informed me his account was highjacked!

BEWARE

I got one of these as well... always check the address bar to see where it takes you. and if it asks you to login in again, always fill it in incorrectly and see if it accepts it. if it does, it's a scam!