Travel Airports and designer purses

I've always heard you should dress down when traveling as to not be a target for being robbed, so I wonder how people think about this?

I guess that depends where in the world you are going.... Paris, Rome, Tokyo, Dubai etc you're probably fine where as if its Lagos, Harare, NYC, etc you'd probably be better being more careful.:graucho:

Handbags, purses, wallets, carry on I think generally is fine given its with your person all the time. I am never sure about the LV monogram suitcases for the hold etc, to much of a risk of that one being the one that accidently got dropped and burst open whilst its out of everyone's sight.

I understand the reasoning now. Has it always been this way? or did it change since you are having the some of the same issues we do in the US.

Gotta say in Vegas I see & hear from friends kids who work retail about Europeans & British that come in stores with empty suitcases & fill it up.
No....It used to be 170 euros....So, there is some progress.
Some people don't know about it. They buy lots of things abroad and are surprised when the Customs ask them to pay taxes for the purchases over 420 euros.
Suppose I bring back a $1000 camera (800 euros) a $ 500 watch ( 400 euros), total 1200 euros. I will have to pay taxes on 800+400- 420 that is approximately 1200 euros. The taxes xill represent 30% of that sum.... 360 euros....

I understand the reasoning now. Has it always been this way? or did it change since you are having the some of the same issues we do in the US.

Gotta say in Vegas I see & hear from friends kids who work retail about Europeans & British that come in stores with empty suitcases & fill it up.

They still do..... its the same with mail order, a lot of people buy from Hong Kong and the companies post it to you marking it as a gift or sample and only worth $30 rather than the $3,000 and a retail purchase.

With a sales tax of 20% plus import duties which can be a fairly chunky percentage too its not surprising that (a) our prices are higher for things from outside of the country and (b) that people try to get away without declaring things.

On top of that I'm sure there is a lot of ignorance over what the rules are etc. The duty free limits used to be advertised everywhere but the "from the other country" limits weren't. Now that the whole thing has been scrapped for within the EU plus duty free limits is electronically controlled via the POS you dont even get those advertised anymore.

I cannot think of a single person that has been to the USA or Dubai for a non-business trip and hasnt exceeded the limit (now just under four hundred pounds so circa $600) but also cant think of a single one thats been caught either

I know a person who was caught with a new golden Patek Phillip on his flight from Geneva to NYC. He was wearing it but had a box and receipts with him. And he had to pay taxes and had serious talk, even called his lawyer.

What's the limit and tax/customs payment for people traveling from the US and to Europe and back? I'm all new to this so this is all interesting.

You need to check the website for customs in the country you're traveling to and from.

Here's a link for entering the US:
http://www.taxfreetravel.com/US Duty Free Allowances and Exemptions

Here's a link for entering the EU:
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/travellers/enter_eu/index_en.htm

I live in Europe but outside the EU, so that's why you see me talking about a higher limit. Mine is slightly under 1000 dollars.

tentativepurse said:
You need to check the website for customs in the country you're traveling to and from.

Here's a link for entering the US:
http://www.taxfreetravel.com/US Duty Free Allowances and Exemptions

Here's a link for entering the EU:
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/travellers/enter_eu/index_en.htm

I live in Europe but outside the EU, so that's why you see me talking about a higher limit. Mine is slightly under 1000 dollars.

Thanks! I know I'll need to know both since I'll be bringing gifts to my family. :smile: thank you again!

I have never been targeted by thieves. I usually wear my LV cabas mezzo because it is sturdy and I have a huge longchamp le pliage travel bag. I have also travelled with a Chanel m/l flap with no problems and a Balenciaga city.

I usually travel to Europe, particularly Prague, and I am smart about not being pick pocketed. You would be surprised how many obvious tourists leave their bags open, even if
Not designer.

Only thing, at Canadian customs I notice that thy check out your bag as they are questioning you. European and US customs don't. I was stopped only once in Prague and as soon as they found out I was Canadian they let me go through, without even lookin at my passport.

And if I ever buy anything designer I just get my boyfriend to bring it over. He is still a Czech citizen so they never question anything he brings. I only bring designer purses and accessories if I have bought them in Canada or years ago in a different country and I have a special little binder I take with me that has all the receipts with all the tags of everything designer I have purchased all over the world. It is all in order by designer. I actually can't wait until a customs officer in Canada pulls me aside and I get to pull it out ;)

I travel with LV canvas bags (always with zip) in addition to my Tumi. They're low maintenance I don't really worry about getting targeted at airports more than in any other big city.

I see people carrying LV neverfulls and Goyard St. Louis, wondering how they manage not to have their stuff falling out when it's on the conveyor belt, below a seat or in the overhead compartment..

I don't care what everyone is carrying, i carry a nice non-designer bag when traveling..no way do i want to worry about an expensive bag getting dirty on the security belt and handled by security.. Getting dirty onthe floor of the airplane.. And attracting attention to myself.

I do the same with jewelry and other things that say "this is expensive"

+1:tup: