Airport Style - What Do You Wear While Traveling?

Oct 20, 2008
manhattan
you can be comfortable and still be stylish. that said, I'm not particularly stylish when I travel - but I am comfortable: slouchy boyfriend jeans or slouchy wool trousers, t-shirt under a sweater or cardigan (usually fine wool so no wrinkling), a throw (Hermes has good ones that are light) to use as a blanket, pair of fun socks for when I take my shoes off, comfy flats or boots in the winter.

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
North Carolina
Comfort is my goal, since my flights are usually several hours long. I always have a thin sweater since some planes are so cold and I don't want to use the airplane blankets. Shoes that are already broken in are important because I always end up at the last gate in the terminal and have to walk to the next gate which is usually in another terminal.

DrDior

Yes? May I help you?
Jan 13, 2012
Nowhere near you.
Yoga clothes. I want fabric that will move, breathe and still hold it's shape after 14 hours.

I also like to layer up a bit because you're either too hot or too cold.

gymangel812

<3OOO~~~
O.G.
Apr 14, 2006
Ohio
Yoga clothes. I want fabric that will move, breathe and still hold it's shape after 14 hours.

I also like to layer up a bit because you're either too hot or too cold.
same here. i use lululemon wunder under pants/crops, random tshirt, lululemon jacket, sneakers (no sandals because of security + no socks = ew), & hermes gm cashmere shawl.

Goldfox

Scarfiesta
Apr 20, 2013
Comfort is key, I'm known to also skip make-up on longer flights, so that I may keep applying oils and moisturiser. Typically I wear a silk thermal/knitted sweater underneath a cashmere sweater, which I onboard the aircraft top with my ultimate travel partner – a merino shawl/poncho doubling as a blanket! Number of wool layers depend on the season, weather and type of plane. In winter, or when particularily tired, I often need to wear a fur gilet in addition, so I make sure to always have it in my carry-on. For bottoms I usually wear a pair of cheap and very stretchy jeans that I've bought a size or two larger than usual. They have room to move, look fairly representable, and I can fit a pair of long johns under them if I'm feeling extra frosty. If it could be said I look stylish when flying, it has to be in a very boho down-to-earth cool(no pun) kind of way, very off-duty. Oh yes, I accessorise to seem somewhat casually put together, looking strictly like the girl who wears 4 layers of clothing feels extremely slack! I'm not a frequent traveller on long-haul, so I stick with a pair of running shoes or some comfy chelsea boots. One could bet I'd bring sheepskin-slippers for a transatlantic flight though! When stuck in Economy I like to snuggle up and create myself a cocoon, I don't even care if I have to haul it through the airport for as long as I get to coze in it.

Last edited:

stephc005

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
MD
Always leggings (cotton ones that are a bit on the thinner side), a long tee, and a light cardigan. in the winter, I wear a scarf so it can keep my neck warm or I use it like a mini blanket or for cuddling lol. For shoes, I either wear boots (in the winter so they don't take up room in my luggage), flats, or flip flops. takes me only a few seconds to pop my shoes on and off at security even when I wear boots.

Lisa<3

Oct 13, 2013
CANADA
I love anything from Icebreaker's travel & lifestyle collection. It's merino wool so it's super soft, cools or warms you depending on the climate, does not wrinkle or smell and looks chic. I love the villa dress and bliss wrap especially. I usually pair these items with a scarf too.

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
North Carolina
I love anything from Icebreaker's travel & lifestyle collection. It's merino wool so it's super soft, cools or warms you depending on the climate, does not wrinkle or smell and looks chic. I love the villa dress and bliss wrap especially. I usually pair these items with a scarf too.
Thanks for this reference. Fine, lightweight merino wool is my travel staple. I have a couple cardigans that I can slip on when the airplane is cold but they take up little room in my bag. Natural materials are kindest to my skin.

Apr 15, 2007
During the fall/winter using a cashmere sweater set w/matching pants

For spring summer the coolest cottons & always carry a big shawl

Julide

Ahh Money Penny...
O.G.
Aug 23, 2007
Tunic dress, leggings; cotton in summer and cashmere in winter, ballet flats and a pair of slippers and some comfy socks usually all in black. I have usually two GMs with me, one for a blanket and one for my neck.

HiromiT

Jun 20, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I recently started buying Icebreaker-- love their stuff -- and am planning to create a travel capsule wardrobe of their pieces. The Villa dress/skirt/crop pants, along with their fabulous undies, are all on my wish list.

In addition to packing Icebreaker, I would add linen tees and cardies because linen is more cooling than cotton or silk.

Now I just need to book a trip! :biggrin:

ETA: Just saw the video on the Bliss wrap -- must get too!!

Last edited:

bakeacookie

Nov 2, 2008
SoCal
My favorite pair of jeans (broken in and comfy), boots/flats and socks (feet always cold), lightweight cashmere sweater (I'm always cold!), quilted Burberry jacket, Burberry wrap scarf.

I haven't been on a flight where I wasn't cold.

And a pillow pet. Airplane pillows are gross.