Airport Shopping

closetluxe

Feb 12, 2017
It looks like I might get to do some international travelling in the next few years. I know there are some boutiques in various international airports ie. Heathrow in London and CDG in France. Can you tell me what other countries have boutiques in their airports? Is it cheaper to buy at the airport than the destination country you are going to? What are our favorite ones to shop at? TIA

It's definitely cheaper to buy in Europe. I think buying at duty free vs. store is comparable, because you always get the VAT back at the airport. However, if you find whatever you are looking for at the airport, you don't have the hassle of standing in line to get the VAT back. Dubai and Hong Kong airports have many of the luxury brands that you'll see in Heathrow and CDG.

I reside in Vienna, Austria and have purchased here, Heathrow, UK, and Hong Kong.

Hope that answers your question :smile:

Prices are the same as in the city minus the tax. In CDG it's about 10% less and in heathrow it's 17% less (I think)

20%

but don't forget you can get a tax rebate at most premiere stores, not all but the selection is usually better at the 'destination' designer stores. Call ahead for inventory

20%

but don't forget you can get a tax rebate at most premiere stores, not all but the selection is usually better at the 'destination' designer stores. Call ahead for inventory
Just want to be sure I understand. At most premier stores they will immediately do the tax rebate so that I don't have to stand in line at the airport when I leave. Correct?

Just want to be sure I understand. At most premier stores they will immediately do the tax rebate so that I don't have to stand in line at the airport when I leave. Correct?

No, alas, they just do the paperwork so that you can get the rebate (still have to stand in-line at the airport). Not all stores even know how to do the necessary paperwork, so I'd stick to central parts of cities in London, Edinburgh etc and the usual tourist areas for high-price ticket items.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkletastic