Travel Airport layover choice

Aug 26, 2006
Hi all,
I have to fly to Miami at the end of next month and my choices for a layover is either Chicago or Dallas. I've flown thru Chicago before in the winter time and it's really not my fave , but I've not experienced Dallas yet.

Which would you choose of the two? How's Dallas in the winter time? Are there a lot of delays?

Thanks for your input!

Dallas is super big but would probably be the better choice to avoid weather. Chicago has been mild so far this winter but when that lake effect snow sets in I imagine it can cause quite a snarl. I think ice is really the only thing to worry about with Dallas but really, travelling in the winter is always dicey.

I personally like flying into Chicago. I don't have to take a shuttle to another terminal, and when I fly into O'hare, it isn't that crowded. However, I have never flown to Chicago in the winter, so I would say Dallas is your best bet. Good luck and have a safe trip!

I personally like flying into Chicago. I don't have to take a shuttle to another terminal, and when I fly into O'hare, it isn't that crowded. However, I have never flown to Chicago in the winter, so I would say Dallas is your best bet. Good luck and have a safe trip!

Ha-ha! That's funny coz it seems like every time I fly into Chicago it's ALWAYS crowded and always in the winter! My work seems to pick the worst time for me to fly to the East coast :Push:

both kinda suck...

the thing is that even though chicago has more winter weather that you would want to avoid, it gets less bothered by it. life goes on. whereas if you're unlucky enough to have to go through dallas on an ice storm day, things will be shut down.

I think either has its pros and cons.

both kinda suck...

the thing is that even though chicago has more winter weather that you would want to avoid, it gets less bothered by it. life goes on. whereas if you're unlucky enough to have to go through dallas on an ice storm day, things will be shut down.

I think either has its pros and cons.

Ya, I was thinking about the icy conditions in Dallas and how it often shuts down.

Let's hope they don't get the 'snowpocalypse' they got earlier this year! I was smack dab in Madison, WI when that happened! Thankfully I got out since I was west bound coming home.

If given the choice, I'd prefer DFW over O'Hare, when flying during the winter months. Yes, those ice storms in the Dallas area can really cause some havoc.