Home & Garden Air Cleaners/Filters

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Seeking comments on air cleaners/filters/purifiers.

I'm finding problems with dust in the air and I'm wondering what to do about it. Any I've seen in use before were quite noisy and/or expensive. I'm looking for something inexpensive, efficient and quiet. I'm finally getting to where I don't need A/C and fans this year and I don't want to replace the noise of those with something else. It also can't burn a lot of electricity.

DH & I have bad allergies so these are something we have to live with. To keep the air clean & allergy free is an expensive endeavor. But we have a lot less health issues this way.

If this is just about dust in the air & you aren't allergic to it, I'd do a unit that attaches to your HVAC. That way you don't have expense of using more electricity. The ones I have would be overkill for what you need. When I bought ours, I did a lot of searching on goggle. Great help. This might be a little extra expense a couple times a year to get them cleaned. My ceilings are high & no way am I getting on a ladder & going into the attic.

We also have 2 units freestanding (3,000 sq ft house - one floor) They are IQ air. Again more overkill for your needs. They need new filters about once a year. They cost around $500.00 each time. And they suck electricity. I get notices from NV Energy that I'm using 36% more energy than my neighbors! So sue me. So looks like free standing isn't an answer for you.

I'd start by changing your filters often in your intake vents. See how that works before spending lots of money. The more expensive ones work a lot better than the cheap ones. And you might get some extended use out of them. The dust you see might just be recycling.

I got one from sharper image several years ago. I think it was like the first one at this link:

http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/category/Ionic-Air-Purifier/100282?mainCatId=200009

I had to clean it almost every day, but I could use a paper towel, so not much work. I left it in the sun and the plastic started breaking off so I put it away. I think it still works though. The vents are harder to clean than the metal part that comes out.

When it starts crackling, it needs to be cleaned.

Dyson might have some portable ones that are worth looking at. IDK. :shrugs: