ahhh what's happening with my wallet!

Did you use the plastic sheet protectors that they use in binders to save paper? Because I use those plastic page protectors often in binders for my lesson plans and they do release a residue when they aren't able to breath properly! Idk if that's what happened to your wallet but I know it looks similar to what happens to the inside covers of a binder when I use those plastic sheet protectors!

It's the plastic pouch that you put in the binder to protect two pieces of paper back to back... Oh my you think thats what it was?? Maybe you solved it! This stinks I liked having the plastic in there it made me feel better about using the wallet :/

It looks like damage from the plastic that was put inside the wallet, moisture, residue and possibly mold.

It's a shame when people make suggestions without realizing the damage that can be caused. I have seen it when people suggest harsh abrasive household chemical cleaners on delicate vachetta leather and now this.

I would try slightly damp baby wipes. I don't think it's a defect in the wallet.

I think it was caused by putting plastic inside the wallet and storing it like that, causing severe moisture build up. Vernis wallets are patent leather. There was no way it could breath when moisture built up due to the plastic. Even if the plastic was in the other side or section, it makes sense. There is nowhere for the resulting condensation to go.

I think you got some bad advice from whoever made the suggestion to line the interior, of any part of the interior, of a stiff patent wallet with plastic where condensation would build up and there is no way the leather could breath or dry and so it damaged it. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I would go in and be honest with the leathergoods manager and see if he has any advice. I do know they may be familiar with mold snd fungus growth due to customers who own LV bags and SLGs in hot, humid countries.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, I have always received a polishing cloth with all of my Vernis pieces. It's made of the same material as the dust cover for the bags/SLGs... I rotate wallets every once in a while... I don't baby my stuff, especially wallets... Maybe try wiping your wallet with the outside of your dust bag and see if there is any difference?

Wipe it with baby wipes to see if it helps. Then go back to LV and demand to see their leather goods manager... So sorry this happened. I have a pomme zippy and this hasn't happened on the interior of my wallet. It looks like a defect...
I'm scared to bring it back since its not in stores anymore... I rubbed it with the dust cloth and it looks better, not 100%. Baby wipes are safe to use on the interior leather?! I had no idea. I took out the plastic insert and only left the coin purse plastic in.
Thanks everyone, I hope this gets better :sad:

I'm scared to bring it back since its not in stores anymore... I rubbed it with the dust cloth and it looks better, not 100%. Baby wipes are safe to use on the interior leather?! I had no idea. I took out the plastic insert and only left the coin purse plastic in.

I wouldn't leave any plastic in there. Condensation will still build up. That's far worse than a little dirt that could be easily wiped off with a damp cloth. Mold will destroy the wallet. It doesn't need plastic inside the coin section and it will only damage it. I've been using LV wallets for 20 years. I have never had them damaged by carrying a few coins.

Mold, however, could permanently destroy your beautiful wallet. I'd take that our right away. You don't need it and condensation will continue as long as its in there. This was bad advice from whoever it came from. The risks aren't worth it. Your coin purse doesn't need plastic in it.

You know, that's exactly how LV items in moist hot countries, the vintage ones, get wrecked. They get sticky peeling pockets from moisture condensation on interior plastic. This is what will happen in time to yours if that plastic is left in there.

I wouldn't leave any plastic in there. Condensation will still build up. That's far worse than a little dirt that could be easily wiped off with a damp cloth. Mold will destroy the wallet. It doesn't need plastic inside the coin section and it will only damage it. I've been using LV wallets for 20 years. I have never had them damaged by carrying a few coins.

Mold, however, could permanently destroy your beautiful wallet. I'd take that our right away. You don't need it and condensation will continue as long as its in there. This was bad advice from whoever it came from. The risks aren't worth it. Your coin purse doesn't need plastic in it.

You know, that's exactly how LV items in moist hot countries, the vintage ones, get wrecked. They get sticky peeling pockets from moisture condensation on interior plastic. This is what will happen in time to yours if that plastic is left in there.

I followed a tutorial from this subforum, but I took it out as soon as I read your post. Do you really think it is mold or just condensation? Can mold really happen over 2 days? If there is mold does that mean the wallet is ruined permanently?

I followed a tutorial from this subforum, but I took it out as soon as I read your post. Do you really think it is mold or just condensation? Can mold really happen over 2 days? If there is mold does that mean the wallet is ruined permanently?

If its that short a time, it's probably not ruined. But yes, mold can cause permanent damage. It's important to realize this is just a public forum. Lots of good advice and lots of bad too unfortunately. I cringe when I see some of the suggestions and have seen people totally ruin their items following advice given by some posters. I'd take a barely damp soft cloth and wipe it clean and then dry it with a pure white very soft towel or cloth and try to air it out as much as possible. And barely barely damp. You might even try rubbing it dry first. If that doesn't work, just BARELY damp. You don't want to leave any fungus or mold spores growing inside your wallet. A tiny bit of damp cloth won't hurt it at this point. But just a tiny bit damp. Not as wet as a full fledged baby wipe as there is already moisture damage. I can't tell how bad it is from the pictures. If it got damp enough it doesn't take long, so it could happen in a few days. I'm hoping you'll be okay!

Realise too that just like old wives tales on medical forums, you may see advice on here that shouldn't be followed. Always take advice on a public forum with huge grains of salt. If you do see advice you question, ask your boutiques leathergoods managed before going ahead. They don't know everything by any means, but they usually are aware of what causes damage (like using hand sanitizers) and can help steer you in the right direction.

Let us know what happens! Hugs from the Carolina's!

Last edited:
If its that short a time, it's probably not ruined. But yes, mold can cause permanent damage. It's important to realize this is just a public forum. Lots of good advice and lots of bad too unfortunately. I cringe when I see some of the suggestions and have seen people totally ruin their items following advice given by some posters. I'd take a barely damp soft cloth and wipe it clean and then dry it with a pure white very soft towel or cloth and try to air it out as much as possible. And barely barely damp. You might even try rubbing it dry first. If that doesn't work, just BARELY damp. You don't want to leave any fungus or mold spores growing inside your wallet. A tiny bit of damp cloth won't hurt it at this point. But just a tiny bit damp. Not as wet as a full fledged baby wipe as there is already moisture damage. I can't tell how bad it is from the pictures. If it got damp enough it doesn't take long, so it could happen in a few days. I'm hoping you'll be okay!

Realise too that just like old wives tales on medical forums, you may see advice on here that shouldn't be followed. Always take advice on a public forum with huge grains of salt. If you do see advice you question, ask your boutiques leathergoods managed before going ahead. They don't know everything by any means, but they usually are aware of what causes damage (like using hand sanitizers) and can help steer you in the right direction.

Let us know what happens! Hugs from the Carolina's!
I def see this now, I'm gonna take every tutorial with a grain of salt, I've been dry buffing the flap and it's starting to look normal! But again I am in bad lighting, so I'm going to wait till tomorrow and see it in sunlight and then use the white towel and see if that does it. Thank you!

I def see this now, I'm gonna take every tutorial with a grain of salt, I've been dry buffing the flap and it's starting to look normal! But again I am in bad lighting, so I'm going to wait till tomorrow and see it in sunlight and then use the white towel and see if that does it. Thank you!

I'm so glad!! I'm going to keep your gorgeous wallet in my prayers tonight!

charleston-mom said:

I agree 100% - maybe get a coin purse for change!

Sorry about your wallet, I also notice that the credit cards have left marks on the flap of the wallet. This also happened to my Sarah wallet in pomme I hate this fault with the vernis Sarah wallets.

Last edited:
Sorry about your wallet, I also notice that the credit cards have left marks on the flap of the wallet. This also happened to my Sarah wallet in pomme I hate this fault with the vernis Sarah wallets.

Honestly- I maybe put credit cards in the front slots for a week! But just keeping it clasped and closed empty made those marks! Right on the made in france stamp :sad: I feel let down after waiting for 4 months to use this wallet. I wish I knew this happened before hand so I could add a cloth in between the flap and the slots but, then again the flip side of the argument is we shouldn't have to deal with the imprints. :/

Is it possible its make-up transfer from your fingers? You know, how you touch your face, and then touch the interior of the wallet to open it??

LVoeletters said:
Thats a good idea too- I did want everything in one spot but hey any excuse for an accessory right! Do you think this would coordinate with the wallet? I don't want to get a vernis cles- I have one in indigo and its so stiff it has been in storage since I got it.

http://www.katespade.com/womens-wallets/credit-card-wallets/kate-spade-tudor-city-holly/PWRU2293,default,pd.html?dwvar_PWRU2293_color=711&start=3&cgid=wallets-card-case

That's a nice one - I also use a card case so not to overstuff my wallet :smile:. My DB thinks I'm crazy bc I carry a Mono-Zippy Wallet, a Mono-Cles (as a coin purse) and a card case (for all those store membership cards) so I don't over-stuff my Zippy.