Agressive Dogs at doggie events/dog parks

shaurin

O.G.
Dec 3, 2007
During the summer my town has loads of doggie events hosted by local bars or restaurants where you can bring your dog with you to dine, etc. This past Friday I went to one such event and took our three-year-old English bulldog with me. He is an extremely friendly dog to both people and other dogs. He is not fixed (you can blame my husband for that -- we have constantly battled over this mind you) so he does mark all the time unfortunately, but he is not aggressive at all.

Well, lately I've noticed that other male dogs are acting agressively toward him, growling, etc. This happened on Friday when my dog went up to the water bowl and a golden started growling at my Charlie. Charlie just ignored him and drank his water, but then I heard someone say, "Two unfixed males, there's bound to be trouble." And it just made me so angry cause my dog was not aggressive at all and it is one of the things that I am most proud of because I feel like I have trained him to be properly socialized around other dogs. Anyway, it just pissed me off that someone else brought an agressive dog to the event to begin with. I've encountered it at our local dog park as well numerous times. Mostly I just wanted to vent, but don't people know not to bring aggressive dogs to things like this?

I totally understand your frustration. My SO and I bring our two extremely docile and friendly dogs to the dog park quite regularly, and not too long ago, there was a lady inside the park with her dog on a leash and in a nylon muzzle.

Now, I understand the concept of introducing your dog to situations like this to properly socialize it, but if she was so wary that she needed to muzzle her dog, should the off-leash dog park really be the way to go?

The worst part is that after a bit (maybe she was assessing the other dogs at the park?) she let the dog off leash. My SO's boxer, curious as ever, wanders over with his whole body wagging happily like boxers are apt to do, and the dog lunged and snarled at him! The lady grabs her dog and goes "sorry, she's a little aggressive".

I was pretty peeved at this point, and was happy to see them leave.

Side note: OP, I want to smooch Charlie right on his forehead wrinkles. He's adorable!

if you know that your dog is aggressive then you should not bring them to public events etc....my dog beauty is dog aggressive and i would never bring her anywhere that had other dogs for that reason....that owner did the wrong thing and you were 100% in the right...

First off..dog parks breed stupid people. Most people have NO understanding of dog behaviour beyond what they see on Cesar Milan's show and when they get into situations like a dog park, they often times overreact or miss signals that their dog gives off.

Two unfixed males can be a problem--and it has little to do with training or aggression and just has to do with hormones! Don't be offended, seriously. I have an unfixed male, dominant breed dog and have encountered stupid people at the dog park, too. One time, when my dog was chasing hers, she FREAKED out and called him aggressive. I'm like "Lady, he's chasing and playing. He's a HOUND!" She said "he's aggressive!" I said, "He's not doing anything aggressive other than running around! He comes here every day and is playing, I know my dog." She said " I don't care what you call it, he's aggressive." Clearly, she had no understanding of dog behaviour or socialization (or her own dog's signals, because the dog was playing back). Her mindset became clear when she got pissed that while playing fetch at the park, other dogs wanted to come up to her dog and the ball. Dude, it's a dog park..if you don't want dogs around yours, why are you even here?!

Also, I think people use the word aggressive far too quickly when talking about dogs. One unfixed male growling at another isn't necessarily or automatically aggression, it's communication. Was the golden trying to lunge for the other? What was the tone of the bark? Most likely, it's just one dog saying to the other "hey, look, I'm watching you." (which is TOTALLY normal for two unfixed males.) It's at THAT point, the owner is responsible to come in, deflate the situation and move the dogs along. That golden's owner failed to watch her own dog. (Which is another pet peeve of mine at the dog park.)

Either way, you found out why we no longer go to the dog park. People either overprotect their dogs, or don't pay enough attention to them. Until I find a park with a balance of smart people, we choose not to go.

Last edited:
LOL, yes please share the park where the SMART people go!!!

I run with my dog several times a week: she is firmly leashed and focused on task.

But it seems that all the people with aggressive dogs have left the dog parts and infiltrated the people parks!!!

They seem to think people parks are the best way to get their dog some off-leash run time without altercations with other dogs. :nogood:

So I spend half of my run time running AWAY from the hostile off-leash dogs that should be in some kind of training program and not off leash at the people park.

Honestly.

You'd think a dog license should test the owner's ability to properly care for their dogs.

Unfortunatelly I have to agree that dog parks attract stupid dog owners, luckily I have become friendly with some of the smart dog owners and we try to arrange going at the same time. Both of my boys are neutered, and have encountered un-altered dogs. The reaction has been different each time, it really depends on the dog.

In regards to the OP's incident, some dogs (including one of mine) feel the need to assert themselves first to new dogs. After the ground rules have been set between them, the dogs usually get along fine. It's so annoying that men have such a hang up about neutering dogs, it's as if they think they will be the next to be neutered. I would keep pushing the issue if you can, and emphasize the health issues that can occur later on, and saggy balls being dragged on the floor when he is older:yucky:

During the summer my town has loads of doggie events hosted by local bars or restaurants where you can bring your dog with you to dine, etc. This past Friday I went to one such event and took our three-year-old English bulldog with me. He is an extremely friendly dog to both people and other dogs. He is not fixed (you can blame my husband for that -- we have constantly battled over this mind you) so he does mark all the time unfortunately, but he is not aggressive at all.

Well, lately I've noticed that other male dogs are acting agressively toward him, growling, etc. This happened on Friday when my dog went up to the water bowl and a golden started growling at my Charlie. Charlie just ignored him and drank his water, but then I heard someone say, "Two unfixed males, there's bound to be trouble." And it just made me so angry cause my dog was not aggressive at all and it is one of the things that I am most proud of because I feel like I have trained him to be properly socialized around other dogs. Anyway, it just pissed me off that someone else brought an agressive dog to the event to begin with. I've encountered it at our local dog park as well numerous times. Mostly I just wanted to vent, but don't people know not to bring aggressive dogs to things like this?

So far, you have said other dogs have (only) growled at Charlie. This may just be a normal dog reaction, i.e., leave me alone! It doesn't necessarily mean the other dog is aggressive. This is just how dogs communicate, and warn one another. And it could be triggered by un-neutered dogs.

I have to say, it's important to have your dog neutered. An intact male dog is three times more likely to attack than a neutered dog.

I am dealing with training an aggressive Chi/Pom mix (yes, 13 pounds of attitude). She does not like other dogs and I'm working one on one with a private trainer to hopefully get this behavior under control.

I completely understand that your dog is NOT aggressive, but since he is not neutered other people's dogs may attack him. This has happened several times to my friend's dog, he's a very large lab (or similar) and her husband refuses to get him fixed. So often it has nothing to do with the fact that you have a nice passive dog. It's because he's intact.

I have to say, it's important to have your dog neutered.

I second this statement, but not as a blanket philosophy. Don't forget that some people compete in events that require a dog being intact, and plan to responsibly breed. :smile:

Neutering before a certain age (esp in big dogs) also increases their risk of bone cancer and thyroid problems. So, it's important to read and learn about your breed and what's best for the dog's health.

I don't go to dog parks. You can never be sure the dogs have all of their shots. Also, fleas and ticks could be there. We walk on the parkway near our home, all dogs are on leashes.

This is exactly why I am scared to take my dogs to the dog park here. One of our dogs I have no issues with but I am scared our other dog will be too aggressive. I can't even imagine anything worse than someone thinking "Oh my god what was she thinking bringing that dog here??"

I have an "agressive breed" dog (pit-bull) so I don't bring him to dog parks because people THINK he's aggresive. He's fine with other dogs and such a sweet heart. But he gets judged from the start. I get your frustration.

Some people!
I had a similar incident in a dog show. This enormous dog with a muzzle and obviously in a really nervous state sat in the middle of very nervous family. All family member surrounded him/her. I didn't really notice it till after. My pup, being pup like to greet other dogs acting submissive and this dog started growling at him. The cheek of the woman getting angry at me for letting my dog near it. I mean seriously. Shouldn't she correct the behaviour rather than blaming others for her dogs aggression. Should she really introduce her dogs to huge amount of dogs if it ain't ready. I know most dogs seem to be really good with my dog expecially once they know its a puppy.

Omg i have to say that Charlie in the snow ssooo cute!!

Last edited: