Aged calfskin differ from year to year - Reissue owners!

dbcelly

O.G.
Sep 30, 2009
Hi Chanel lovers, does the quality of the aged calfskin differ from year-to-year / batch / series on the quilted classic reissue flap ? When I say quality, I mean: the feel (how soft or stiff), how shiny and how puffy it is.

It's quite apparent that the grained calfskin (ie. caviar) leather on the classic CC flap is different from year-to-year, bag-to-bag, or by series (eg. 27xxxx series 'seems' to be less shiny than 26xxxx series; quilts' puffiness differ from bag to bag); but I haven't read posts that talk about the aged calfskin variations.

*Reissue owners, let me know! I have my eye on a 225 or 226 size, but thinking 225 is more suitable given it's more similar to the classic (CC) small size, and I can wear cross body more proportionately.

Hi Chanel lovers, does the quality of the aged calfskin differ from year-to-year / batch / series on the quilted classic reissue flap ? When I say quality, I mean: the feel (how soft or stiff), how shiny and how puffy it is.

It's quite apparent that the grained calfskin (ie. caviar) leather on the classic CC flap is different from year-to-year, bag-to-bag, or by series (eg. 27xxxx series 'seems' to be less shiny than 26xxxx series; quilts' puffiness differ from bag to bag); but I haven't read posts that talk about the aged calfskin variations.

*Reissue owners, let me know! I have my eye on a 225 or 226 size, but thinking 225 is more suitable given it's more similar to the classic (CC) small size, and I can wear cross body more proportionately.
Yes it does vary from year to year.

It varies within the same year too really. Reissues are not puffy, so I don't know what you are looking for there. There is always different distressing every bag you look at. Same year, same series or not.

Reactions: dbcelly
Here’s some pictures of my 225 from 27 series, purchased a few weeks ago. One picture was taken with full sunlight and the second pic was an overcast day. I just looked at her again now and she seems more shiny in the current light. I think pictures don’t accurately capture the aged calfskin, so I really recommend going in person and seeing several if there’s a certain distressed look you’re after.

I would agree that the reissues I’ve seen have not been puffy.

Attachments

• 1618F96E-F5F5-4027-9F4F-964F087AA39E.jpeg
    1618F96E-F5F5-4027-9F4F-964F087AA39E.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 418
  • 40990FD8-A500-4870-B1B8-C4EB6F010417.jpeg
    40990FD8-A500-4870-B1B8-C4EB6F010417.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 418
Thanks for the reply. If it does vary from year to year, how so? If you have picture comparisons of yours, that'd be appreciated!

I don’t have pictures because I don’t own a reissue yet. I’m still searching for the one that makes my heart sing. I’ve looked at reissues in different boutiques in Vegas and in my city. As the other ladies have stated they do vary even within the same year. The number of wrinkles as well as the stitching varies. I wouldn’t say I’ve seen a puffy one but I have seen reissues that have more defined stitching than others. I hope this makes sense. I prefer the defined stitching and lless wrinkled ones. Unfortunately I haven’t yet found the color/hardware combo with the more defined stitching.

I’m heading to the UK in a month so hopefully I’ll find what I’m looking for there. My advice is don’t settle and if you buy from the preloved market make sure returning it is an option. I won’t buy preloved because I would rather pay the premium and love the specific bag that I take home. If I wasn’t so particular I’d get a better price buying preloved.

When I first started buying Chanel, I let an SA convince me that unlike classic flaps, WOCs all had flat quilting. I bought the woc because the classic black with gold hardware is not easy to come by. I regretted and sold it and am going to repurchase it when I go to the UK. Most classic WOCs I have seen have flat quilting but I’ve seen more puffy quilting as well. My point here is do not settle. These prices are too high for any small detail to bother you.

2.55 Black Hardware store photo 2.jpg IMG_1216.JPG
Another problem is the pictures themselves, here is my bag which is a 23 series (when it was new). I took the second photo with a flash on, to see the detail. But unless you are comparing to another flash picture, it is hard to tell what you are looking at.
My 226 is my absolute favorite go-to bag. There is an informality with the distressed calfskin - I take this bag to picnics, ballgames, everything. And it really holds up!

Here’s some pictures of my 225 from 27 series, purchased a few weeks ago. One picture was taken with full sunlight and the second pic was an overcast day. I just looked at her again now and she seems more shiny in the current light. I think pictures don’t accurately capture the aged calfskin, so I really recommend going in person and seeing several if there’s a certain distressed look you’re after.

I would agree that the reissues I’ve seen have not been puffy.
What the location of that second photo? Reminds me of Montreal.

Thanks ladies! Sounds like I'll just need to go to the store / boutique and hope they have a few I can choose from.
Good reminder that reissues aren't puffy; I thought there'd be a bit of 'give' when you try to squish a quilt (eg. hold just the top flap with one hand/between thumb & index).

I know there will be differences in the distressing but I didn't realize it'd be that obvious. I'm looking for 'average' then, lol. I wouldn't want the distress to be so obvious and abundant it'll take away from the look / quilting, but I wouldn't want it so smooth and minimal because it's the design.

@zazzle415, Michelle1x: your reissues are beautiful ! Makes me want it even more... I'm having such a hard time deciding on if I want the ruthenium or aged gold hardware. I have classics in silver and light gold HW already; and want the reissue as an 'everyday' bag.

Reactions: zazzle415
I don’t have pictures because I don’t own a reissue yet. I’m still searching for the one that makes my heart sing. I’ve looked at reissues in different boutiques in Vegas and in my city. As the other ladies have stated they do vary even within the same year. The number of wrinkles as well as the stitching varies. I wouldn’t say I’ve seen a puffy one but I have seen reissues that have more defined stitching than others. I hope this makes sense. I prefer the defined stitching and lless wrinkled ones. Unfortunately I haven’t yet found the color/hardware combo with the more defined stitching.

I’m heading to the UK in a month so hopefully I’ll find what I’m looking for there. My advice is don’t settle and if you buy from the preloved market make sure returning it is an option. I won’t buy preloved because I would rather pay the premium and love the specific bag that I take home. If I wasn’t so particular I’d get a better price buying preloved.

When I first started buying Chanel, I let an SA convince me that unlike classic flaps, WOCs all had flat quilting. I bought the woc because the classic black with gold hardware is not easy to come by. I regretted and sold it and am going to repurchase it when I go to the UK. Most classic WOCs I have seen have flat quilting but I’ve seen more puffy quilting as well. My point here is do not settle. These prices are too high for any small detail to bother you.

Thanks for the reminder! I made the mistake of not doing enough research when I bought my first classic flap. I bought a patent because the SA said it's still a durable bag since it's calf leather (and not as delicate as lamb). Not blaming him, but had I known that there are higher chances of color transfer and discoloration, I would've stuck with caviar.

I hadn't noticed how stitching varies in Reissues yet. I've only ever seen the bag in pictures / videos because I've never personally tried one on.
But, like the classic CC flap, aren't the # of stitches supposed to be pre-defined? I do see that there are less stitches on each side of a the diamond quilt on the reissue when compared do that on classic flap.

@zazzle415, Michelle1x: your reissues are beautiful ! Makes me want it even more... I'm having such a hard time deciding on if I want the ruthenium or aged gold hardware. I have classics in silver and light gold HW already; and want the reissue as an 'everyday' bag.

Thank you! I definitely recommend trying both hardwares on in the boutique. I was open to either until I saw them in person.

I can see how others love the look of the aged gold hardware on the reissue. The contrast with the black is really striking. For me, though, I’m a ruthenium girl. It was love at first sight. I find the ruthenium works for all occasions (fancy and casual) and it gives the bag an understated elegance.

Let us know what you decide :smile: