age limit to wearing blue jean birkin?

kim, no one knows what the future will bring or what your financial situation will be. If you love BJ, get BJ and let tomorrow worry about itself. It's great to plan (and I'm a HUGE planner) but in 20 years you MAY have a few more H bags. Just get what you love.
My mom is 70 (and looks 55) and she LOOOVES Potiron and looked so great when she would try on my Birkin. It's all about attitude.

I'm on a same boat with you. I'm thinking about trying to get BJ or Orange 35cm Birkin. I'm 31, and it could be the only Birkin I buy. So, I thought about getting classic colors like Black or Gold....but I just don't get as excited as BJ or Orange when I think of carrying Black or Gold Birkin(don't get me wrong, they are gorgeous, but I personally love colors). So I decided to go for something I love, and not think about what might happen in 30 years. Who knows? I may end up being lucky to own a few birkin like many of PFers here:P

i love everyone's perspective on this. some of the responses have been so meaningful. isus, i agree that the older i get, the more comfortable i am with myself. greentea, thanks for reminding me to live in the present and be open to what the future may bring.

I can relate to your dilemma, not because I think I will be too old to carry a blue jean bag when I am 60, 70, or 80, but because I fear I will get tired of it by next year and it will drive me nuts. However, the captivation with blue jean (of those of us that dont have a bag) drives me a little nuts too.

I think when you buy something like this there is no way to guarantee that you will like it over time until you actually have it. Sometimes, you want things more than you actually like them once you have them; other times, you like something once you have it, much more than you actually wanted it. (Yes, I know that sounds strange. I read this concept in an article recently on the subject of addiction). As for the blue jean birkin, I am frankly not sure if its a matter of want or like, but I do feel its important (at least, for me) to sort that out before I buy one. In any event, I think your dilemma is understandable.

There is a book that one of the women on the forum suggested, and it was very helpful in making decisions of this nature. "SecondHand Chic" by Christa Weil. Its about shopping for vintage (which I dont) but the book is equally applicable to all shopping.

I do not have any bag that I owned 20 years ago, primarily because at that time I did not invest in H bags--but I do still have some 20-year-old H scarves-- and I hope that 20 years from now I am not limited to what I have now. The older I get, the fewer rules I have to follow. I wear a lot more color now, primarily in accessories, than I did 20 years ago.

Hey, this is exactly why my husband doesn't encourage me getting a BJ! He thinks that I can get more mileage out of dark classic colours like black, ebene, chocolate etc.

Oh course, my reply to him is that I am not planning to have just one H bag. I can always pass the BJ to my DS (if any) or my future DIL.

Anyway, my point is there's no age limit.

I think you should get what you love now and enjoy it now. You never know how you would feel in the future. If later in life you find you prefer something else, you can always do something about it then.

I also don't think there should be an age limit to what colors anyone can wear. We are surrounded by various colors daily and each one affects us differently depending on our mood. I look at it as a form of color theraphy that lifts us up and affects our perception in a positive way. If you are drawn to a particular color like BJ, why not try it on a small leather item like an agenda or coin purse to see how it is like. You could always sell a BJ H bag in case you get tired of it. I think it is a chic color that goes well with white chemise and jeans together with white metal jewelry. I always admire seeing one on a Birkin/HAC with PHW and white contrast stitching. Such a fresh, contemporary, fun and mimimalist color.

Re: age limit to wearing blue jean birkin?

Absolutely not! And the cool thing is, the older one becomes, the fewer limitations one feels. You have more freedom ....for lack of a better word and fewer rules. You live by your own rules.....

If I'd have known how great it feels to be the age I am now, I would have been THIS age 20 years ago;)

Amen!
LOVE your signature line.

jaegerhomme's advice on this - to start with a small accessory in blue jean and live with it for a while to see how you like it - is very sensible. That was my thinking in getting the blue jean card case yesterday.

The biggest surprise for me is how much I like epsom, which I had always dismissed as a leather. Especially in blue jean - the color really looks great in this leather.