Age for designer bags?

I wasn't going to talk about my experiences growing up, but now that others have, I feel compelled to add my two cents.

I grew up the daughter of extremely wealthy parents. My dad made millions each year. Yes, they drove Lexuses, yes his wife had some serious bling and yes she carried Fendis and wore mink.

However, I was fortunate that they did not believe in spoiling me. They never would have bought me an LV, that was for damn sure. When I asked for a bag as my big gift one Christmas in high school, I got a nice $200 black leather Coach and wore it proudly. When I NEEDED a car to get to my summer job (which wasn't until I was 18 -- until then, I didn't even have my own car), I got my father's 10-year-old Acura Legend. A nice car, yes, but not purchased new for me, and it sure did have a lot of miles on it. And I was very grateful.

Nor did my little brother ever receive any video game system that cost $600, and nor would I buy one for my child.

I purchased my first LV for myself when I was 25 and could afford it.

Just because you have money does NOT mean you have to spoil your kids, just because you live in an affluent community does NOT mean you have to buy the same things for them that other parents do, and just because your parents are rich does not mean you are entitled to an LV at 7.

*steps off soapbox*

Ash

I see and appreciate everyone's opinion and comments. I still stand on the side that a 7 or 11 year old should not have LV (esp. when they did not ask for them) but understand that for some it is not unusual and maybe this is where my friend's sister comes from.

Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

Lara

No problem. :biggrin:

BTW, if the children didn't want them, or ask for them, I completely agree with you. :yes:

I wasn't going to talk about my experiences growing up, but now that others have, I feel compelled to add my two cents.

I grew up the daughter of extremely wealthy parents. My dad made millions each year. Yes, they drove Lexuses, yes his wife had some serious bling and yes she carried Fendis and wore mink.

However, I was fortunate that they did not believe in spoiling me. They never would have bought me an LV, that was for damn sure. When I asked for a bag as my big gift one Christmas in high school, I got a nice $200 black leather Coach and wore it proudly. When I NEEDED a car to get to my summer job (which wasn't until I was 18 -- until then, I didn't even have my own car), I got my father's 10-year-old Acura Legend. A nice car, yes, but not purchased new for me, and it sure did have a lot of miles on it. And I was very grateful.

Nor did my little brother ever receive any video game system that cost $600, and nor would I buy one for my child.

I purchased my first LV for myself when I was 25 and could afford it.

Just because you have money does NOT mean you have to spoil your kids, just because you live in an affluent community does NOT mean you have to buy the same things for them that other parents do, and just because your parents are rich does not mean you are entitled to an LV at 7.

*steps off soapbox*

Ash

We come from a similar affluent background, but I was spoiled rotten. I still studied hard, got my doctoral degree, have nice manners, have great kids, have a great husband. So, an LV at 5 does NOT scar you for life! What's important is the values you pass on to your kids and and an LV does not keep you from doing that.

My daughter is 9, I bought her a mini mono hl when she was 5. She has used it a handful of times for special occasions. It sits in its dustbag 99.9percent of the time. She knows the value and the thought that went behind the decision. I grew up as the kid whose mother shopped the Sears sale rack for her. Never regular price and never anything that was even remotely fashionable. She didn't not have money she was and still is the cheapest person I know when it comes to giving to others.

Basically, I just wanted my daughter to have something that will carry her through childhood and into adulthood that was feminine. She will be able to use it forever. They can't do that with a video game or a Ipod.

I think if your friend wants to give her daughters such a precious gift, let her, it's her decision and she can carry a nice bag herself if she wants to. Maybe she just doesn't want to.

:yes: Totally with you Chloe! I also think the use of the word 'honey' here was totally inappropriate. Nice manners do not cost anything, and even if it did, so worth investing in.

Thank you so much for sticking up for me, Rose! :flowers: You're the best! :yes:

I know 7 posts in a row seems excessive and I certainly didn't set out to be a thread hog! But I didn't know, in advance, that I would feel the need to comment on 7 different points.

Otherwise I would have contained it in one looooooong post! :lol: :shame:

Also, there are often so few people on tPF, at that time of day, that you tend to be the only one commenting on a thread. So your posts don't get 'broken up' by other people's posts. :shrugs:

I agree with you that the word 'honey' was inappropriate, especially as it seemed to be said in such a sarcastic way. :sad:

Oh well..... :shrugs:

11 is way to young for a child to have a LV bag. I agree with most of the other TPFers saying start off with a coach if you have too. It makes sense, young children will not know how to understand the statemen one makes carrying a expensive bag. If a child at 11 was going to school with the bag...I'd be scared someone else would rip it off her and put her life in danger. It's brining attention to a young child that they don't need. Not in today's world..

11 is way to young for a child to have a LV bag. I agree with most of the other TPFers saying start off with a coach if you have too. It makes sense, young children will not know how to understand the statemen one makes carrying a expensive bag. If a child at 11 was going to school with the bag...I'd be scared someone else would rip it off her and put her life in danger. It's brining attention to a young child that they don't need. Not in today's world..

That is another good point I was thinking about before I went to sleep last night, lol. I carry a wallet, planner, cosmetics, my keys, and bottle of water when the bag is big enough. At the age of 7, I carried...nothing. It is a bit pointless for a child to have such an expensive bag. Maybe for special occasions, but for everyday? No. I really just don't see the use for it. I think it's dangerous for such a young child to be carrying such expensive things. If you were carrying around a PS3 box, heck yes, someone would try to steal it!

I guess you needn't worry about safety. The 11 year old who carries an LV is probably driven around in a mercedes and doesn't need to take the schoolbus:rolleyes:.

If their parents think that LV is no big deal for the kids, then LV is probably no big deal for the parents either. So waiting until 'age appropriate' or 'earn it themselves' is not even worth talking about with that kind of parent. They have the $$, they think the kid would like it/the kid wants it, so what's the problem with the rest of the world to tell them when and how to give things to their kids? It's the middle-class people who get upset and talk about 'earning things'...after all they aren't heirs to fortunes most of the time.

As an aside, my 7 year old son who knows I like bags picks out stuff for me when we go to target or wal-mart...most of what he thinks 'are great bags for you, mom!' are sequin encrusted or covered with the most garish fake gems.

I love his innocence.

I picked up my 6 year old from school today and she was dragging her not expensive backpack across the ground. One year does not make a difference. I was thinking about 14 or 16 before I pass down my old purses...I don't think she will get her own till at least 16.

See, here is the thing, if you had kids ( I have 2) and all their friends were getting Playstation III for Christmas, how could you not get one for them? It's just reality these days, kids are spoiled.........

I agree.... Peers are the largest influence on a child's life (sorry, parents, but there are many studies on this). This is exactly why I refuse to raise my future child/ren in a nuevo riche area. I will probably have them home schooled with tutors first, and then put them in an appropriate school when they are comfortable enough with themselves and strong enough to disagree and stand up for themselves.

I still maintain that it is possible to raise a unspoilt child even in very materalistic communities. It's hard work, but it's possible.

Cause I no how to say NO. That's how. If they're spoilt its cause parents do it. They don't pop out spoiled. (And re: PS III, all my friends have it (mostly males) and I don't... Sony is not gonna stop making them. I have time to get one. Esp, when they go on sale.)

My parents told me no on lots of stuff. Never once did it kill me. I could throw a fit if I wanted to... And an hour later not only was I in my room, but I still didn't have what I threw a fit about.

I'm old school. And I come from old school parenting and ideas. Where you make kids earn things and you teach them the value of a dollar so they don't become spoiled, whiny, useless adults that can't (or don't) keep a job or find a career cause Mommy and Daddy will take care of it. Enabled and feeling entitled to what they didn't earn.

I just don't believe in that.

Peace,
Nyckei

I actually do agree that children shouldn't be just given things because they want them. I just don't think that earning things should necessarily be through money. It can be good grades, doing things around the house, showing general respect to others, etc. I'm not a parent so who knows how I will end up raising my children if I do have them in the future. All I really know is that I love fashion and of course that's going to impact what I buy for my children. I may be the type of parent who doesn't balk at spending x on clothing for my child but will think a lot about buying him/her a video game console for the same amount....

Giving a child one LV isn't going to spoil her. Giving her everyone she wants just because she wants it most likely will....

I agree with nyckei. PS3s are different from purses. You don't hear about game system bans, do you? When you get into purses, it can become very consuming, and to start a kid off on something so materialistic and expensive at such an early age...I think you're asking for trouble. And what if they get so used to luxury that they never develop work ethic? Then they won't be able to afford it later in life, and that would really suck for them.

I think it's still similar.... I remember guys bragging about how many games they have. Some had hundreds, and this was back when games cost $50+ (I have no idea how much these things cost now, I just remember spending $80 for a game for my brother). Regardless if they are only $20 each now, the fact that people collect the games is similar to the type of materialism collecting purses is. (Owning five LVs is probably the same, price-wise and even "collection-wise" as owing 100 video games....)