Age for designer bags?

I agree. The mom should have a nicer purse than her children.

It really depends on the child. When I was very young, I treated my purses with care. They were precious to me. (No, they weren't designer.) In that case, why not a designer bag? I don't think children are that into "designer" bags because they are designer. They have their own style and preferences. If they happen to like a designer bag, it's either because they love the style, or too much emphasis has been placed on the designer itself. I think it's a bad idea to promote that sort of materialism at any age.

For me, I will have no qualms buying my future children designer handbags. Don't know what age though. It really depends on what my children want. I'm not into monogrammed bags so I probably wouldn't buy them one on my own accord. But back in 2000 when Miu Miu bags were cartoonish and girly (and like $200), I would have bought them those. Now the styles are too "mature" for young children.

11 or 12 I think are fine for more mature styles like frame bags. Younger than that, I could see me buying saddle bags for my children. I'm going to dress them in preppy styles so it works. Maybe I won't buy the croc RL for them, but the ~$2000 small versions are fine.

As for LV bags, some are cute on young children like the Mini Sac HL. This is just my opinion, but the Pochettes are a young style too. I wouldn't recommend a Manhattan GM or even a regular Speedy. Way too large. Besides, LV monogram can handle a lot of rough treatment, so they are so much better (for practical reasons) than a calfskin or lambskin leather bag.

I second Ashlend: kids should get status symbols when they can earn these things themselves and therefore appreciate their value. I wouldn't indoctrinate my kids into my own materialistic ways by placing emphasis on labels so early on in their lives. What kind of seven year old needs a purse anyways? I can't remember having a purse anytime before middle school.

IMO you are old enough for designer bags when you are able to buy them for yourself.

And this is the real...

Then we wonder why our kids are spoiled and materialistic and don't feel like they need to work for anything.:Push:
They are KIDS - not adults.
Sure, I had nice things when I was younger, but if I got a nice bag, it was cause my mom was done with it. I can't tell you how many times I left a supple Coach bag (still designer folks, regardless of whether or not you had to mortgage your house to get one) in the aisle of some store we were in. It drove her up the wall. And that didn't start happening unitl I was 11 or 12. I ran from purses when I was smaller, not wanting to be bogged down and totally into shoes at this point.

Too young. Much too young.

Peace,
Nyckei

Can't imagine any child who is a pre-teen owning a LV or any other designer for that matter. Sorry. Somehow, they have to learn the value of things. Giving them a designer bag at that age does not help. All it does is enable you to say to yourself...."oh, isn't that cute????" What is the purpose? Don't get it at all. I can see a teen who loves fashion earning her own money to pay for a handbag because that is want she is in to, would be a very wonderful thing. But pre-teen designer???? No.

All kids are different, don't shoot me but my 5 year old has a LV multicolore pochette that she got for Christmas last year. She loves it and is very careful with it. She is totally adorable with it and the colors suit her clothes.

^ :roflmfao: WAY too young. What do they have to look forward to if they have LV dumped on their laps at that age? Will they just expect luxury for the rest of their lives? I don't think that's healthy.

say what you want for either case. but the fact still stands, the kid will have an appreciation factor for it, but its no where near the appreciation factor of getting one themself or when they are older. when they are younger, no matter how mature, its just something they get use to.

I think she's crazy and asking for it. When they get 15 what are they gonna get? A benz coupe to go along w/that driver's permit?

I had a lot of friends like that. A BMW for 15th and a Mercedes for 16th. Not all of them were spoiled. Yes, they were privileged, but not spoiled brats. There is a difference. Totally depends on the child and the parents.

I disagree that kids "should" pay for their designer goods in order to appreciate them. Of course that might help but I personally don't want my children to work while they are in school. I'd rather them focus on their schoolwork and extracirriculars. Spoiled kids usually aren't aware of their privilege, I will make it very clear to my children that they are privileged and should never take that for granted. I do not believe in "birth right."

Also, did everyone work (and pay) for all their handbags themselves? Because using that argument should apply for eveyone, not just children. I know some of us have been given handbags as presents. Did those handbags seem less precious to us because we didn't have to work and pay for them ourselves. I think not!

I don't think children should get designer bags until they are well into their teens. At such a young age they probably wouldn't appreciate the full extent of the importance and value of the bag. If they truly want a designer hangbag with all their heart, they should work for it and earn it themselves, that way they can truly appreciate it.