Age - Bag relationship

Well, mine have gone to Target, Costco, PetSmart, the dry cleaners, DD's Principal's office, the grocery store, work, the Mall, three weddings and one funeral (and I'm not kidding either).

they go everywhere with me....

in all honesty, i think our ideas of appropriate ages for hermes have a lot more to do with our own ages and our own bags then anything else. not what is objectively right or wrong.

someone young with an hermes is not going to say that it's tacky for a young person to have one.

and someone who is 30,40,50,60+ is not going to say that 20 is the perfect age for one of these bags if they don't themselves have one yet (and for those who like hermes and don't have a bag, that's a big long yet).

so if you're young and have one, enjoy it.

and if you're waiting and planning your first purchase, enjoy that you will get it when it's right for your life, and at that time it will be perfect.

(ps. let's face it, it's worse for a 30,40,+ to hear that earlier is better then for a 20 year old who has the bag to hear that it's not right, in someone else's opinion. at the end of the day, the one with the bag has ... well, the bag. that doesn't make one right or wrong, but no need to take the rational away from someone. have your bag and enjoy it).

i'm 30+ and i know that i'm telling myself that later is perfect for me. when i see someone younger with a bag i like, all i, personally, think is, gorgeous. okay.

shopmom411 said:
Well, mine have gone to Target, Costco, PetSmart, the dry cleaners, DD's Principal's office, the grocery store, work, the Mall, three weddings and one funeral (and I'm not kidding either).

they go everywhere with me....

to the principal's office? say it ain't so.

Oh yeah HiHeels....16 years old and let me tell you, it aint pretty.

I figure if I have to sit in the principals office and listen to a lecture from someone half my age about what happens to teens who don't like to go to Gym class I might as well do it with a Kelly on my lap.

nathansgirl1908 said:
IntlSet, I'm not directing all my comments at you. My comments are based on SOME things you have said, but also on things others have said in this thread, and in even another thread that was similar.

At any rate, you have to admit that your original comments were a bit off-putting, whether that is what you intended or not. To say it is pretentious may be an opinion, but that opinion can be offensive when you know there are people under 30 on this thread who DO carry birkins.

Whoops! I didn't mean to be off-putting, especially not to you, nathansgirl, since I always enjoy your posts. I think I didn't explain myself very well or emphasize enough that I think there are exceptions to my own opinion. A lot of what formed it is simply based on location: it seems out of place where I grew up, which is a wealthy but conservative town where anything overtly fashionable/elite is frowned upon (Birkins, Ferraris, etc.). I can see, however, if you're in a big city like Manhattan or hot-spot like Aspen, a Birkin on a young woman wouldn't seem out of place.

Sorry, hope there's no hard feelings! :flowers:

You know, a classic is always going to be a classic, no matter what
your age. That's why some of us invest in them! This is a very interesting forum, because it is so inclusive in terms of age. I think there are several camps here: the fahionistas and the old scholl which will purchase certain brands because they are timeless, beautiful pieces we intend to use for a very long time. This too, I think reflects a cultural shift which is tied to economics When I was 16, I would never have thought of spending money on an expensive handbag and pretty much kept that attitude until I was done with graduate school. One, I didn't have the money; two, if I did, no one in my age range did that--unless you received a special present (usually a Coach, sorry). Most of the time I carried a backpack. That changed when I moved to NYC, and started working. I was able to think about nicer bags, then but crime was bad and if you purchased a nice handbag, you were extremely careful or bought cheapies. There was also a time when you had a good purse, an everyday purse for both summer and winter. You might have also bought an evening bag, but that would be it. The age thing played an important part as well. But you know, I think some of has to do with wardrobe choice, you don't see most 60 year old women dressing like Ms. Hilton. (Yes, there are execptions, but I am talking about the general population.) I think the age thing influences the size. though and an SA agreed with me.

pr1nc355 said:
This isn't mean to be directed at you. It's just a response to some opinions I've heard over time...I take my Birkin anywhere I go, food shopping included. I bought it as an everyday bag for me, not as a museum piece. And even if I ended up spilling stuff on it at the grocery store, I'm the one who has to pay for the cleaning, so I don't understand why there's a list of acceptable places to take it and unacceptable places.

I didn't take it as direct to me, I was just giving my opinion :flowers:
Also, I'm not buying it as a museum piece but being anal about damaging my bags, I wouldn't want to put a bag I love in a yucky supermarket caddy. It's true for a Birkin, but also for my cheaper bags as well. KWIM?
It isn't a list of places, it's more my personal opinion about what I'd do with mine.

IntlSet, I can see that where you're coming from. I agree that it all depends on location and other stuff. But I noticed that women who earned the money to pay for the bags (earned by working or saving up or whatever) feel more "guilty" in indulging themselves than spoilt daddy's girls.

i am like shopmom i even carried croc bags and diamond jewelry to the grocery store coming from my training in sweatpants and no make-up and wet hair .(do not worry that are exceptions)
but i tell you i didnot grew this old to care what others may think about me. as long as i am fine with the way i look and what i do what is it their business anyway

lilach said:
i am like shopmom i even carried croc bags and diamond jewelry to the grocery store coming from my training in sweatpants and no make-up and wet hair .(do not worry that are exceptions)
but i tell you i didnot grew this old to care what others may think about me. as long as i am fine with the way i look and what i do what is it their business anyway
Ditto!!!:wlae:

shopmom411 said:
Oh yeah HiHeels....16 years old and let me tell you, it aint pretty.

I figure if I have to sit in the principals office and listen to a lecture from someone half my age about what happens to teens who don't like to go to Gym class I might as well do it with a Kelly on my lap.

Is this teen that is causing you to go to NM more often than usual? I have a 4 year old son, so I guess this is what I have to look forward too.

IntlSet said:
Whoops! I didn't mean to be off-putting, especially not to you, nathansgirl, since I always enjoy your posts. I think I didn't explain myself very well or emphasize enough that I think there are exceptions to my own opinion. A lot of what formed it is simply based on location: it seems out of place where I grew up, which is a wealthy but conservative town where anything overtly fashionable/elite is frowned upon (Birkins, Ferraris, etc.). I can see, however, if you're in a big city like Manhattan or hot-spot like Aspen, a Birkin on a young woman wouldn't seem out of place.

Sorry, hope there's no hard feelings! :flowers:

No, there are no hard feelings. :flowers: :wlae:

crochetbella said:
I take Miss Evelyne everywhere. We went to the drycleaners yesterday. :lol: But I didn't take her to the movies because Chris always gets extra extra EXTRA butter!!!! ;)

Yikes! That is the reason why I brought a beat up old Coach bag to the movies today, I didn't want to risk any spillage of drinks or buttery fingers in a dark movie theater...

I know I started buying Hermes after I realize their great quality and the fact that everything is one of a kind. See, that's the type of items I collect, it fits right into my niche of things. Since I've just started to get into being interested in purses, this was a great discovery for me. And then as I started buying Hermes and getting rid of my other namebrand items, I found out the hard way that the items I was getting rid of generally lost value rather quickly and get dated very quickly. That was when I realize that not only Hermes is of the best quality and one-of-a-kind (which was the original reason I got them, not because of the hype), it's also an investment as it will never go out of style no matter how old I get. So for me, that's multiple pluses right there in one orange package. Needless to say, ever since then the rest had been history for me.