Workplace After 4 months of work, no insurance no benefits

i<3coach

O.G.
Jun 23, 2007
Hi Ladies,
So I started a new job for 4 months already. When I first started I was told that as I get close to the 3 month mark, I will be shown the different insurance plans, etc. I finished 4 months already, no insurance and no mention of it! How do I bring it up? I'm shy and not very aggressive, I feel that I'm being taken advantage of, but I don't know how to bring it up.

Does your company have an HR department? Did you see what kind of plans were available before you accepted the job? These types of things should have been presented to you in writing when you accepted the offer.

You need to learn to speak up. Go to your boss on Monday and tell them you've been there more than 90 days and you want to see what health care plans they offer.

Hi OP, I second just speaking up and asking about it. It won't seem aggressive because no one would think it is out of line for an employee to ask about (1) what is rightfully a part of your job compensation and (2) what was already promised to you when you started.

Chances are someone dropped the ball in HR or Admin. It's not personal against you nor should you feel like its a selfish request. Good luck!

I'd say something. The plans might be set up where they have to insure after 3 months.
That happened to me. We told a new employee after 6 months they'd be covered. The plan had changed & I didn't know about it cause employees rarely leave. I had to pay for those 3 months of coverage anyway.

I'd say something. The plans might be set up where they have to insure after 3 months.
That happened to me. We told a new employee after 6 months they'd be covered. The plan had changed & I didn't know about it cause employees rarely leave. I had to pay for those 3 months of coverage anyway.

Why is there a delay? And is the employee covered retroactively? If not, would the employee would need to get COBRA to get continuous insurance coverage - is this right? (this would be very important for people with a preexisting condition)

Every single place I've worked for allowed us to sign up immediately with coverage either starting from day 1 (and when you leave coverage ends immediately) or the first day of the first full month (but when you leave it continues until the end of the month).

Why is there a delay? And is the employee covered retroactively? If not, would the employee would need to get COBRA to get continuous insurance coverage - is this right? (this would be very important for people with a preexisting condition)

Every single place I've worked for allowed us to sign up immediately with coverage either starting from day 1 (and when you leave coverage ends immediately) or the first day of the first full month (but when you leave it continues until the end of the month).

Everybody's insurance is different. It differs from city to city in NV & a difference between states. (That is why cadillac health insurance plans are taxed. Not everyone has those great plans that cover everything.)
There is no pre-existing conditions any more. Back when insurance was able to screen out the pre-existing people, they were fearful of leaving their jobs. Or would have to pay the COBRA pricing.

The insurance company (provider) is who set up the plan & the aspects of it like when coverage starts. We were part of a huge group so maybe it was something that the bigger companies in that group set the standard for. We were smaller so my agent said financially it makes more sense for you to join this group. Through an association.
When you left our business you were covered till the end of the month you left in. Cause we were charged the first of the month for the entire month of coverage.
When we first got on the program (13+ years ago) it was a 6 month waiting period. They changed it to 3 months.
This was a young healthy gal. And if she would of had bills in those first 3 months, they would of had to cover them since I paid for those months in month 6.

You don't need to ask your boss. Just go to the person in charge of insurance and ask her for the forms she needs to get you on board. Act like you do this for every new job you get - no biggie.