After 30 days, store credit ONLY?!

LoveMyMarc

♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
Jul 6, 2008
OK, so I put a leather coat on layaway...just paid it off yesterday, and picked my coat up at the same time. I go to try it on again today (at home) and I just don't like it how I did when I first saw it.

So, I go to the mall today to return it, and the lady said I can only have store credit because it's past the 30 days (the 30 day return window ended on Nov 9th. You have 30 days to return after the FIRST payment). When I bought it, the lady made it sound like I have 30 days AFTER you get the coat.
:confused1: So, I am really polite and I practically beg her if I can just have my money back since there is NOTHING in the store I want to exchange it with or use the store credit on. So she looks at my receipt and her computer forever and she's like, no I can't because it's policy blah blah blah. I say, I understand that but it's not like I do this all the time, it's my first purchase here. So, she calls her manager and the manager says that it's policy as well and the employee explained to her that there's nothing in the store I want, not even anything for a gift. After she gets off the phone, she tells me that she'll give me store credit for now, but to call the manager tomorrow to see if I can get my money back.

I am just going to go IN the store tomorrow since I can almost guarantee an over the phone conversation won't get me my money back.

So, now I'm stuck with $192 store credit to a store I'll never shop in again (this is a leather store. Just leather goods are sold there). This really has me stressed out!!! I mean, $192 isn't a lot to some people, but to have that much money practically wasted?! It sucks.
:cry:

What can I do to actually get my money back?!

Last edited:
I would definitely take it to the District Manager if you don't get resolution tomorrow. Ask the manager for the DM's number - sometimes that alone will get you your money back because most managers do NOT want things going to their DM. Otherwise, take it to corporate and tell them flat-out that you will take it up with your CC company if they will not accomodate you.

The 30 day policy should be from the day your physically took it out the store.

But hey, that's why you really need to acquaint yourself with store policies when shopping there. The store is going to stick by their policy and I would think legally they would be entitled. As long as it's in writing, you had to opportunity to not buy from them if you disagreed withe the policy.

^definitely agree on the need to know policy part--especially with layaways

when people do it online it's basically a purchase when you start the first payment so it's yours--they can't sell it underneath you--it's a contract so I'm guessing the thirty days would start with the first payment and not when you receive it

when you make the first payment it's already purchased, you're just buying it on credit but instead of charging interest they just hold the item and if you change your mind some pple or places that do layaway wouldn't even refund your payment..or in this case give cash

I'm sorry but I think that the store does have a right to stick by it

but they can also practice good customer service and make an exception but..they only do that if they know there's potential for you to return, imho

^I understand that is their policy. But, it's not good CS at all when their not willing to meet me even half way. This is $200, not $20.

I guess we'll see what happens today.

its not good customer service but the point of customer service is to have customers happy so they'll return, i guess my point is if you aren't going to return at all anyways, or is a really good customer, they don't feel the need to go out of the way..and i can see that its a shame, but speaking from another perspective that may be why.

good luck, it doesn't hurt to ask, and who knows, the manager might just make an exception regardless.

Ugh I am SO mad for you!! I would never, ever think thirty days meant from the time you made the first payment. That's ridiculous. Why would they even have that policy? If you decided you didn't want it while it was out of sight in the back, you would just cancel the layaway, which isn't even a return!!! I hope you get your money back. What store is it??

^The Leather Company.

Well, I got $115 back and the rest is store credit. The lady kept telling me she's 100% positive she went over the return policy and just kept trying to make her point she was right. But, whatever. I'm happy with $115. I knew they could override it in their system (they said they couldn't). I probably won't be shopping there anytime soon besides trying to get rid of the store credit!! Glad it's over! :amuse:

^definitely agree on the need to know policy part--especially with layaways

when people do it online it's basically a purchase when you start the first payment so it's yours--they can't sell it underneath you--it's a contract so I'm guessing the thirty days would start with the first payment and not when you receive it

when you make the first payment it's already purchased, you're just buying it on credit but instead of charging interest they just hold the item and if you change your mind some pple or places that do layaway wouldn't even refund your payment..or in this case give cash

ITA. if i had a store I would have a policy that was 30 days from layaway. otherwise people will place anything they might want on layaway.