After 2 times of wearing this beautiful bag, the corner is peeling off

Great to hear your resolution! I remembered didn’t you sell your chanel bags last year ? I remembered commenting on your post. What a journey! Happy to see you got back into chanel and got a good outcome from your SA :smile:

I am gonna throw some comments in there since I've got a big background with all things Chanel, side to side and top to bottom. Here are just some things to know:

1) Chanel doesn't dye their leathers all the way through, so when they scuff, it will go to "brown".
2) Chanel is, and sees itself, as a fashion house, NOT a leather goods house. It does not like accessories customers AT. ALL. It sees them as "rodents" as a prominent SD once told me (she was not agreeing, just passing on info from above). Therefore, CS for accessories customers is very very very low priority, if at all.
3) Most of Chanel's comments for leather that wears, tears, popped stitches, etc will be deemed as "regular wear and tear", not covered by any sort of warranty.
4) The quality of Chanel's leather isn't awesome. I think we all know that. And bags are produced at many "shared" factories all over Europe (and beyond IYKWIM). They are producing upwards of 10m bags a year, at around 85-90% profit margin, for a house that overtly says they are not a leather goods house.
5) There are NO CHANEL VIP's who are only accessories customers. If I bought 300k of bags/ jewelry/ shoes a year, I am not a VIP. I am nothing. Only purchasing RTW makes you anyone they care to make happy or cater to, because they only see RTW customers are real customers.
6) Pretty much when you buy a Chanel bag, minus a few exceptions, you're gonna be on your own with whatever happens to it.

Well this was interesting insight. 2) makes good sense about after care service for shoes etc. I once emailed after sales about a pair of caviar ballerinas where the leather looks crap,like there are air bubbles between leather layers. Normal for caviar on shoes says after care service. Took ages to get an answer.

But about RTW does anyone have insight how big part of sales it is? Is RTW just fashion or high quality or either or? As I read it revenue comes from leather goods but RTW is the king

Reactions: 880 and TraceySH
Well this was interesting insight. 2) makes good sense about after care service for shoes etc. I once emailed after sales about a pair of caviar ballerinas where the leather looks crap,like there are air bubbles between leather layers. Normal for caviar on shoes says after care service. Took ages to get an answer.

But about RTW does anyone have insight how big part of sales it is? Is RTW just fashion or high quality or either or? As I read it revenue comes from leather goods but RTW is the king
They def have to push RTW more. I now get quite a bit of it, but it did take me several years to figure out what I like since I am not a "ladylike" kind of dresser. (I get knits, leathers, sweaters). The commission for RTW is much higher than for accessories, where most commissions for stand alone boutiques hover around 1.5-2%. So when you go buy that great 6k bag, and think your SA would be pleased with their commission, realize they get about $100 from that sale. RTW is at least 5% I think. But yeah, THOSE are the clients Chanel WANTS.

Chanel sees accessories as.....ACCESSORIES. For many people buying a bag with a CC on it, or a brooch or some espies allows them to signal that they are associated with the brand without really investing in the brand. (Sound familiar? Like Hermes?) They don't want the 5k bag with $19 H&M or Zara top customer, they want the head-to-toe customer. Which, I guess, makes sense. They know the mini is the most in-demand bag as it's entry level, and while they don't really want that type of customer to represent Chanel, they will happily profit from it. RTW quality is much higher than accessories BTW altho they've started using some polyesters/ rayons. Check out the RTW thread on the Chanel forum. Lots of pics of fun things :smile:

I can’t believe that the SA would BLOCK you!!! That is disappointing and disheartening!!! If they can’t do anything for you at least they could have said something, even if it was to tell you to keep an eye on it and let you know at what point they will send it for repair.

you have my empathy. I am old school, I want and expect good customer service Especially when it comes to spending my hard earned money on a splurge for myself.

They def have to push RTW more. I now get quite a bit of it, but it did take me several years to figure out what I like since I am not a "ladylike" kind of dresser. (I get knits, leathers, sweaters). The commission for RTW is much higher than for accessories, where most commissions for stand alone boutiques hover around 1.5-2%. So when you go buy that great 6k bag, and think your SA would be pleased with their commission, realize they get about $100 from that sale. RTW is at least 5% I think. But yeah, THOSE are the clients Chanel WANTS.

Chanel sees accessories as.....ACCESSORIES. For many people buying a bag with a CC on it, or a brooch or some espies allows them to signal that they are associated with the brand without really investing in the brand. (Sound familiar? Like Hermes?) They don't want the 5k bag with $19 H&M or Zara top customer, they want the head-to-toe customer. Which, I guess, makes sense. They know the mini is the most in-demand bag as it's entry level, and while they don't really want that type of customer to represent Chanel, they will happily profit from it. RTW quality is much higher than accessories BTW altho they've started using some polyesters/ rayons. Check out the RTW thread on the Chanel forum. Lots of pics of fun things :smile:
Thank you!

I was wondering because I am all new to Chanel just shoes (nice CC:s and comfy sneakears but main ingredient seems to glue and I cannot believe defects that get pass, also sneaker materials). And I do acknowledge that I wanted CC logo shoes, I hoped they were high quality but I wanted the Chanel status. But with shoes I think all designer shoes are glued together if you want a long-lasting pair get some ’more handmade’ shoes made of thicker leather and with proper stiching.

With RTW I am confused, quality seems to be amazing or totally something else. Though my experience is limited only to one knitwear and one coat. Coat is fab and well made, good attention to detail but the knitwear I cannot believe. Mixed fabric, pills, defects in yarn etc. Also what I have seen at boutiques some seem to beaten up on the racks.

edit: sorry for the continuous OT

I can’t believe that the SA would BLOCK you!!! That is disappointing and disheartening!!! If they can’t do anything for you at least they could have said something, even if it was to tell you to keep an eye on it and let you know at what point they will send it for repair.

you have my empathy. I am old school, I want and expect good customer service Especially when it comes to spending my hard earned money on a splurge for myself.
Yes, I was like “REALLY”? You blocked me because I didnt buy this bag with you. Really disappointed . But her manager have my complaint. ❤️❤️

I shopped here Chanel Bloomingdale a lot.
RataDrawitra, good to see you got what you wanted from the chanel department at Bloomingdales? Just wanted to make sure I don’t shop there (I am getting back into RTW at the boutique and don’t need Poor service). Many TPFers switched to Hermes when rising Chanel prices and declining quality made Chanel less attractive (I made the switch in 2008j I did buy an so black chevron reissue mini recently, but bc its a cute fashion statement. I certainly don’t expect it to weather the elements like H (Which i get docride weatherproofed).

Last edited:
Reactions: TraceySH
Though my experience is limited only to one knitwear and one coat
Minnnea, i used to be a very regular RTW customer, and while the knitwear is lovely, it’s seriously overpriced for what it is. JMO, for the money, I’d rather stick to jackets, coats, dresses, and skirts. Of course it’s best to inspect all of this carefully bf buying. . .

since I am not a "ladylike" kind of dresser. (I get knits, leathers, sweaters
OT digression, but relevant to deliberately aged items that are brand new. one of my favorite CH jackets (described below) came brand new from the boutique, arguably way too over distresssed on the arms. When I commented to my lovely SA at the time, she rolled her eyes and said KL wanted it that way. So I just had to suck it up and be very careful wearing it from day one. Of course, since I started collecting RTW in 1998, prices were much more reasonable. (I stopped in 2008 when I got into H)

@TraceySH, ITA re ladylike ;) . I still have my chanel from 1998-2008 (which included RTW during the time KL lost weight) and I ironically, I’m dieting/ exercising to get back into two favorite older pieces in particular: black suede backed and patent leather Front pants and a croc printed, deliberately distressed waxed cotton canvas moto jacket. Years ago I was waitlisted unsuccessfully for the croc print sleeveless moto vest only to find it decades later on TRR. :smile:

@minnnea, RTW from when KL was overweight, had a lot more seam allowance in multiple seams allowing one to have CH alter it up or down a full size at least. I still have a pair of Chanel maryjanes in fabric and patent leather, with matching fabric stockings (Wolford manutacture cross branded with Chanel) sold at boutique. both the shoes and stockings wear like iron.

but, this is a long way of saying, some RTW, especially the coveted seasonal pieces, is fashion, not meant to be heirloom. . .

I remember when I just start buying Chanel my rich Friend keep telling me people buy mini because they can’t afford classic flaps, so I avoid mini for the longest time, I got classic flaps ML, reissue 226 as my first two bags from Chanel , but wish I got few minis , because I love How functional the minis are , also when they still make it in Caviar.
I met someone who used to work at Chanel haute couture told me, Chanel is the only brand can make money from their RTW. They make most money from their RTW too, so I understand why they don’t really care about accessories customers.
Btw. Wondering if you have any experience in their coco crush lines, Im interested in their rings, any tips or advice ? :smile:

Wondering if you have any experience in their coco crush lines, Im interested in their rings, any tips or advice ? :smile:
I don’t know anything about coco crush. younmay also want to ask in the jewelry box section of the forum all the way down the forum list? :smile:
if search coco crush, you come up with threads like this one asking about coco crush versus Cartier love:
but there are many others.
Note: this forum really prefers Cartier and VCA though ;)
HTH :smile:

Reactions: TraceySH and aokiQ
@minnnea, RTW from when KL was overweight, had a lot more seam allowance in multiple seams allowing one to have CH alter it up or down a full size at least. I still have a pair of Chanel maryjanes in fabric and patent leather, with matching fabric stockings (Wolford manutacture cross branded with Chanel) sold at boutique. both the shoes and stockings wear like iron.

but, this is a long way of saying, some RTW, especially the coveted seasonal pieces, is fashion, not meant to be heirloom. . .

sad to hear that that the ”adjustability” is not as it used to be.
For the shoes I think I bought two pairs of suede sneakers during the same time and thought they were from same collection (but I am not really a collection follower more of an impulsive this is nice (and on sale!!! :nuts:) person so I do not know. But the low suede sneaker is amazing and high top suede sneaker was total disaster with stiching error, stiches missing and what should have been glued in shoe bottom all visible. So the variation in finishing and quality control so inconsistent... But at least it seems so even here, some bags good some not.

But here it gets interesting most of us seem to know from bad experiences that chanel does not equal high quality. Though they claim to be luxury but actually they are correct, luxury is just something desirable and extra. Which leads us to the hype, people are ready to pay $$$ for more or less massproduced items. It amazes me how Chanel (and other luxury brands) do it - rise prises and pump up production simultaniously. Income is not rising really but I swear ordinary people have more luxury items than ever.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and TraceySH
I don’t know anything about coco crush. younmay also want to ask in the jewelry box section of the forum all the way down the forum list? :smile:
if search coco crush, you come up with threads like this one asking about coco crush versus Cartier love:
but there are many others.
Note: this forum really prefers Cartier and VCA though ;)
HTH :smile:

ohhh I dont even realize there is jewelry section on PF! Thank you so much for your suggestions ❤️

• Love
Reactions: CowboyMeow and 880