Travel Africa

Staci_W

Apr 19, 2013
My son is 12. We've been through a lot. I told him I'd take him anywhere in the world. He chose Africa. He wasn't specific on where in Africa. In talking to him, it's clear he doesn't mean Northern Africa. He wants to see what a 12 year old thinks Africa is: lions, gazelles, villages where people carry water on their head.

I'm VERY budget minded. I've got enough credit card miles to buy plane tickets. Tours and spending money for us can only be about 5k. I've looked at toiyra through G Adventures and Intrepid. G Adventures has one that goes through Nambia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe. Intrepid has one in South Africa that goes to Kruger.

Suggestions? Where to go? What countries to visit. Specific tours to take?

Hi there! I think this is a great learning opportunity for your son at 12 years. Let him do some research, google some pictures of interesting African countries and see that Africa is not all lions, gazelles and villages where people carry water on their head (although some parts have some or all of these). There are cars, cable tv, air-conditioning, brick buildings, cell phones and basically everything else you have here. He can then make a decision on where to go based on his the actual experience he's looking for. P.S. there are villages in other continents of the world. Trust me, his college aged self will be better off for the exposure.

Taking your son to Africa sounds fantastic! I'd recommend central Africa (Southern Africa is supposedly rather dangerous; South Africa especially is incredibly dangerous, even though it is beautiful!). Kenya is renowned for their wildlife (great for safaris) so a wonderful place to take your son to see animals such as elephants, zebras, and lions. Plus, you and your son could visit the capital, Nairobi. It's supposed to be a pretty nice city, although you'll obviously want to practice typical precautions (not going out at strange hours or wandering off the beaten path).

Nigeria (especially Lagos) could make for an incredible experience for your son as well, and also open up future opportunities for him in friendships and his career. Nigeria just happens to be one of the countries I really want to visit, so I know quite a bit about the country already. South-East Nigeria has one of the fastest developing economies in the world, and the country as a whole has one of the densest populations (despite it's small landmass, it's the 7th most populated country in the world, after Russia).

The upper and upper-middle class in Nigeria tend to be highly-educated, worldly, and it's very common for them to immigrate abroad to become doctors, lawyers, graduate and phD students/postdoctoral fellows etc. With the booming population, growing economy, and focus on education (often abroad), it's not unlikely that in 10 years your son will encounter a decent number of Nigerian expats and immigrants. Likewise, Nigerian music is pretty fantastic.

Besides Nigeria and Kenya, I've heard some decent things about Ghana and of course Morocco (although that's Northern Africa).

No matter where you end up traveling, I hope you both have a wonderful time! :biggrin:

Reactions: Staci_W
Hi there! I think this is a great learning opportunity for your son at 12 years. Let him do some research, google some pictures of interesting African countries and see that Africa is not all lions, gazelles and villages where people carry water on their head (although some parts have some or all of these). There are cars, cable tv, air-conditioning, brick buildings, cell phones and basically everything else you have here. He can then make a decision on where to go based on his the actual experience he's looking for. P.S. there are villages in other continents of the world. Trust me, his college aged self will be better off for the exposure.

Good post, and exactly what I'd say.

I never got notifications that there were replies to this.

We are going to South Africa. Ironic that a poster said it was unsafe. We are going to start at Cape Town, then head to Kruger. Our trip will end at Victoria Falls.

I was able to buy international plane tickets, hotels in Cape Town and Victoria Falls, and flights between Cape Town and Johanessburg all the credit card miles.

Reactions: L etoile

We are going to South Africa. Ironic that a poster said it was unsafe. We are going to start at Cape Town, then head to Kruger. Our trip will end at Victoria Falls.

I was able to buy international plane tickets, hotels in Cape Town and Victoria Falls, and flights between Cape Town and Johanessburg all the credit card miles.

Eh, I think you could say that almost any country in the world is unsafe these days. Just take precautions, read up on unsafe spots and you'll be fine. What an awesome experience for both you and your son!

Awesome! I would love to hear about your trip once you come back; I'm planning a trip to Cape Town next year. I hope you and your son have a great time!

Good post, and exactly what I'd say.

Hmm, my Kenyan self thought it was actually a terrible post. I lived in South Africa for four years and no it is not INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS! In fact, came here to recommend South Africa. Having travelled to different places, danger often depends on perception more than reality. It's also a matter of common sense. You probably don't want to walk around at night and be wary of "ghettos, slums, etc." On that note, I watch myself in Europe, I watch myself in Africa. I was very shocked to see pickpockets in Europe thinking that somehow the developed world would be immune to the woes of the third world, but having been to Egypt which was also apparently VERY DANGEROUS and having been to Europe, it was actually Italy where I witnessed a pickpocket in all my travels. I was like what? The safety of what we know I think also plays a part in our perception. Nonetheless, be open to the fact that no matter where you go in the world, you could get kidnapped, shot at, etc. That's how life is. Many of us pick up a newspaper at home and read about shootings, child molesters, etc, but when we read these things about other countries, we think the said country must be dangerous. I say have a blast on your trip and if you don't have a resilient stomach carry diarrhea pills. :biggrin:

On that note, I would visit South Africa 100 times if I could. I would totally live there again too.

I do want to deeply warn you about Africolities. It has been said that many have gone and fallen unexpectedly in love with Africa and before they knew it, they were planning their next trip to yet another African country. :biggrin:

Either that or you'll hate it with a passion and never return.

Last edited:
I went to South Africa at about that age and 30 years later I would still love to return. We were there on the eve of apartheid and it was an experience seeing the military presence, but it was a teachable moment. We stayed in Pretoria with friends, went on safari at Londolozi, and spent some time in Capetown. I hope you enjoy your trip!

We just got back from South Africa and it is on the top of my list of must see places, one of THE most beautiful countries I have ever seen. I took my 7 year old son who thoroughly enjoyed it. We never felt unsafe. You just have to be mindful of what you do and when you do it (e.g going for a walk at night and where you go for that walk etc). We went to Port Elizabeth an drove down to Cape Town, we went to Shamwari (game park, which was worth every.single.penny) and saw all the amazing and beautiful animals. People have this perception that South Africa is a terribly dangerous place but if you don't veer to far off the beaten track and use your common sense you will be fine. Have a fantastic time!!!

Africa is a large continent so it is pretty diverse. I lived in East Africa for 5 years (2 yrs Kenya, 3 yrs Uganda) and travelled quite a bite all over the continent. Some African countries unfortunately have been in political turmoil for a long time (Sudan, DR Kongo, Mali etc.). Not to be visitied with kids IMHO. In fact, in light of regular kidnappings I would not really consider Nigeria either.
For a first-time visitor I recommend Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, and South Africa all of which have good tourist infrastructure (if you self-drive beware of the roads in Kenya and Tanzania; they often are nightmarish).
Kenya and Tanzania are fantastic for safaris but by no means cheap. In Southern Africa besides South Africa itself, Namibia is very good for less costly safaris. Namibia is also rather quiet (but I did not like the "vibe" much). Uganda and Rwuanda are stunningly beautiful; the mountain gorillas (very expensive) are a sight I shall never forget. Very different but also incredibly beautiful: Ethiopia.
Once you leave crowded cities like Nairobi and tourist spots (beaches etc.) people are overwhelmingly friendly and often heartbreakingly generous. As another poster said: Apply common sense, avoid "hotspots" and be careful after dark, and you will be fine. Also check on your vaccinations and look into malaria prophylaxis.
I love the Great Lakes region countries and Southern Africa. In fact, my 9-year old and I will visit South Africa for a couple of weeks over the Easter break. Can't wait!

I wonder if it’s good idea to let your son go when he’s older and by himself?
If he wants to see animals perhaps do it at a zoo? Not saying you shouldn’t spoil your son but a boundary should be set if you’re budget conscious and Africa may not be the easiest to navigate with a young kid.