afraid to sell my bag

chloe_

Apr 22, 2011
I am new to eBay selling , I want to sell my bag but am deathly afraid to do so , cause there are so many scam artists , I know not to do international and not to sell to someone who has less than 10 feedback . I don't really want to consign since you don't get top dollar .

You can't really control the 10 feedback minimum requirement that you're looking for though. I mean, you can place that restriction in your listing body, but a lot of the times, buyers fail to even read the entire listing and will bid anyway. :oh: If you set it up as a "best offer" type of listing, then you'll surely receive offers, and you can weed out the ones you don't want (based on your feedback minimum) by declining and/or blocking. However, if someone hits the BIN, and it's a zero feedback bidder or someone who has a feedback score of 1-9, then you're obligated to sell to that person or risk a non-peforming seller strike if you outright refuse.

You might as well list on bonanza, too, as the fees are lower, and it's free to list there anyhow. Your bag may sit there for a long time though since traffic isn't as big as ebay, but if you're not in a hurry to sell, and you have a pretty desirable bag, then why not...you have nothing to lose.

If you get a buyer, then make sure to ship it with tracking/delivery confirmation. Add signature confirmation if it's $250+ up. I always tack on insurance too for my own peace of mind, should it get damaged or lost in the mail...

:flowers: I really don't blame you! If it's of any comfort, many ebay transactions do turn out to be problem-free. We just wind up reading the horror filled scams in this sub-forum because well...it's the nature of this sub-forum, LOL! :P People are seeking help because of something terrible that's happened or are fearful of what might happen.

Oh, and make sure you take detailed photos, too (from all angles), including the interior. Note any imperfections or signs of damage...it's better to cover all your bases because you don't want to be hit with a SNAD (significantly not as described) claim post-sale. :Push:

I am new to eBay selling , I want to sell my bag but am deathly afraid to do so , cause there are so many scam artists , I know not to do international and not to sell to someone who has less than 10 feedback . I don't really want to consign since you don't get top dollar .

If you're new (as in no feedback) you may want to get some first. Just as you are worried about selling to someone with no feedback, most buyers are equally worried and you may not get the price you were expecting.

chloe_ said:

Yeah, it's not a good idea to say that you won't sell to people who have less than 10 feedback if you have less than 10 yourself. Do you have less than 10 and what is the price range for completed items like yours on eBay?

If you have never sold before, ebay may put restrictions on you if you are trying to sell a designer bag.

I have had more problems as a buyer than as a seller.

oh ebay!! it can be your best friend with general riff raff items but can be a nightmare with designer stuff. i've only ever attempted to sell one item and i was unfortunately shot down by a scammer. my reccomendation would be to sell it privately through your own network of friends.

i have had great success selling on bonanza. i never sold on ebay, but 3 of my 7 buying transactions were bad experiences - 2 sellers never sent item & 1 just totally forgot to send it but i did receive it a month later!

yes - take very detailed pictures of any possible flaws, even a small hardly noticible scratch. my listings are so detailed & i cover everything! i overstate flaws just to cover myself.

some of my best buyers had 0 feedback. i had 0 feedback once & someone took a chance on me.

good luck!

I think you should try a consignment shop.

are you talking about online consignment or local shops?
local shops here in San Diego would't get me much. If you have recommendations for online consignment, can you tell me approx what percent of full retail you would possibly get for a bag in very good condition?

thanks

Consignment shops really do give you a lot of money if you go through the consignment route believe it or not. It's the direct buyout route that doesn't give you top dollar.

Bonanza is MUCH better. You can pre-screen potential buyers and their fees are way less. You set-up your account where you must approve the transaction and you can deny buyers without any explanation. But it might take longer to sell your items. I've had 2 LV bags sell in less than week and Gucci items that have been posted for months with no buyers (but the same thing happened on ebay so maybe it's just not something people want.)