Afraid to return because of "the letter"

I certainly wouldn't be keeping items just out of fear!

On my last trip to my FP store I bought a ton of stuff. The total bill seemed reaallly high, but I just assumed my sister bought more than I expected (she was in the store with me and I was paying for it all since I had PCE card and she did not). Well, it turned out that they had double charged me on pretty much the entire order! So they are going to show up as tons and tons of returns! $1000 worth!

So really, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the letter is for people to do it a whole lot more than 3-4 times a year! I'd assume you need to be returning 20+ a year without receipt to get that letter and returning even more than that (with receipt) to get the returns letter.

No, I buy bags from the FP & Outlet store alot and I also return alot... I have never had an issue but at the same time I do not think any of my SA's or Corp think I am a reseller..

But evey if they thought that and if they had an issue it would not stop me from returning a bag I did not want...

I think if "THE LETTER" exists, it's more targeted to those people who buys $2000 / trip. Not for the people who returns.

Everytime I go to the outlet, I usually buy 2-5 items including fobs etc... then I normally return 1-2 from the previous trip.
I have been doing this as far as I remember and I don't think they will give me "THE LETTER" :smile:

Go ahead and return it. Don't worry!

I hope it's okay to post here. I usually hang out in other places in the forum, but occasionally want to check out the recent Coach releases.

Here's the thing I've always wondered when I've seen these threads in the past and have seen people say that "the letter" targets people who spend $1,000, $2,000 etc in one shopping trip. The way I buy handbags, I could easily see myself spending more than this at a Coach store. I tend to shop in places where they're happy to see me, or at least, to see my wallet. Is this for real? Is Coach really a retailer that would kick a buyer out for something that houses like Bottega, Gucci, or LV would welcome with open arms? This baffles me. It sounds so foreign to the whole idea of retail to kick out customers who spend money on the brand.

Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing? I've not followed it closely, so I do realize that maybe I'm completely confused and not getting the point.

you can't compare coach to bottega in terms of buying power..spending 2k at coach can buy you several bags whetheras at bottega it can buy you one..

places like bottega would also have a limit as to how much one can buy but I think few would be able to push that limit given what one of their bags cost and also given that bottega doesn't have sale often (or am I wrong and completely missing out???) coach has sales at the outlet and at EXTREME prices where a reseller can make good $$..at the boutiques there's PCE but it's not worth it as you can get such a better price at the outlet (if you wait a few months, if even)

dropping 1-2k at coach is like maybe dropping maybe 5-10k at bottega and you are right, it's not a lot, but if you did this on a daily basis, I wouldn't be surprised if bottega handed a letter as well

I hope it's okay to post here. I usually hang out in other places in the forum, but occasionally want to check out the recent Coach releases.

Here's the thing I've always wondered when I've seen these threads in the past and have seen people say that "the letter" targets people who spend $1,000, $2,000 etc in one shopping trip. The way I buy handbags, I could easily see myself spending more than this at a Coach store. I tend to shop in places where they're happy to see me, or at least, to see my wallet. Is this for real? Is Coach really a retailer that would kick a buyer out for something that houses like Bottega, Gucci, or LV would welcome with open arms? This baffles me. It sounds so foreign to the whole idea of retail to kick out customers who spend money on the brand.

Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing? I've not followed it closely, so I do realize that maybe I'm completely confused and not getting the point.

Actually, I do not think the exchange will count as a return. I think its the refunding that is catching their attention. You should exchange if you are not happy. Most of the time its non-resellers that are buying multiples (gifts etc) that are being flagged. It sounds like here you are not buying multiples. Take it back and get something you love!

Thank you all, I feel so much better now! All of my exchanges have been with the original receipt and I have never even bought multiples, so I guess I really don't have anything to fear. I just worry myself about silly things sometimes. Sigh.

Again, I appreciate all of the responses. It makes me feel a lot better! I always buy stuff that I think I *might* be the bag for me because, lets face it, it may not be there tomorrow. Not to mention I am usually shopping with my 9 month old and have to do so in a hurry LOL. And, I live quite a haul from the outlet and can't just run back up the next day if I decide I want something. So, I usually buy and then have time to really, really think it over and decide if it's for me or not. I don't even put my stuff inside. I usually just model it in the mirror and look at it a lot to decide LOL.

I personally don't think it's necessarily the amount of return value that matters the most. Coach is looking more IMHO for trends, both returning/buying that reflective negatively on the buyers opinion of what they bought and/or the brand.

In addition to the letter, I feel uncomfortable returning, especially if not buying anything else because every SA in that store knows me. I tend to go to the Coach boutique 45 mins away opposed to the one 15 mins away to do returns for that reason

^not that you can't do that but I think it's very unfair to the other boutique that's 45mins away. you should return where you buy as a courtesy cos they got the money for it when you brought it so returning it it goes to 0 versus returning it at the other boutique where
you didn't buy it and they're negative x dollars

esp if it's convient

out of town it's understandable

That may be true, but it's a matter of convenience. If I'm going out of town and driving literally right by an outlet, I'll return there vs. going 2 hrs. out of my way to return. Unless there is a ton of this going on I don't think it's a big deal. You are allowed to return at any Coach store.

um..i'm not sure if thats directed at me

but melissa said she rather return to a store 45 mins away instead of the 15 mins one because she feels awkward to return at the store she buys from..how can you feel comfortable buying there but not returning?

so yes, i agree with you, its better for her to go to the coach store most convenient to her which is the 15 mins away one.

i think you're agreeing with me..but then i'm not sure..

also note i said that theres nothing wrong with it cos you can do it-- i just don't think its fair.

It happens a lot to the outlet shoppers, but from what I understand, they try to flag people who are buying multiples. Like a person who comes in and spends $1500 on 5 of the same bag.

um..i'm not sure if thats directed at me

but melissa said she rather return to a store 45 mins away instead of the 15 mins one because she feels awkward to return at the store she buys from..how can you feel comfortable buying there but not returning?

so yes, i agree with you, its better for her to go to the coach store most convenient to her which is the 15 mins away one.

i think you're agreeing with me..but then i'm not sure..

also note i said that theres nothing wrong with it cos you can do it-- i just don't think its fair.

Understood...not directing at you!!!:flowers: