Afraid to let collection get to big. Anyone else?

SHHMOM

Feb 13, 2013
Lately as I have been modifying my collection in efforts to perfect it for "me," I have find I have or am wanting certain bags in the same size but different color and others the same color but different size. I am afraid with these wants I will end up with items not used enough. I believe in using everything I have.

Is anyone else afraid you will over do it?

Do you have repetitive bags? Do they all get use? Or is it better to have different sizes in different colors (ex. M/l in beige, jumbo in black)? Do you prefer to have only one of a style?

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

Me! I don't have different colours of the same model, but I tend to collect bags /wocs of a colour etc navy blue seasonal flap, light blue sq mini, navy blue boy woc. Like you, I am adjusting my collection. I am thinking of letting go of the navy blue boy woc now as I haven't used it since I purchased it in Aug. I have also just sold a black quilted camera bag.

There are many more bags/woc that I would love to get, but to avoid making adjustment to my collection, I ask myself if one day, I need to down size my collection, will I let this go? If yes, I will not buy. Hope this makes sense. Other than the navy blue boy caviar, I use all my bags. I am waiting fora a light pink easy caviar. After that, I should be done :smile:

Yes, I am like you, I want to use all of my bags. To be truthful, I don't use them all, and that's mostly bc of occasion and not preference. However, I don't want to let go of a couple I don't use because I bought them for half their current price (2008/9). I don't have too many bags so it's not a big concern.

It's not just Chanel this applies to, but also clothes and shoes - at any price point. Throughout the year, I'm donating to charity.

I totally know what you mean!!!

I have ten Chanel bags (bought within the last three years) and as you can see on my wishlist, another ten on my mind... I don't know if I will buy all in the end since it's simply a wishlist and the price is an important point: if there's another increase in the near future I think I'm done... If I manage to buy all the bags on my wishlist I would have 20 (!!!) Chanel bags and I think this is more than enough... I will probably stop buying Chanel bags after that... In the end one can use only one handbag a day...
And as you can see I have a few LV bags on my wishlist, too... I'm trying to rotate and use all of my bags... but that's not that easy...

I feel that it is better to get different bags in different sizes for variety of color and sizes. I have 2 rect minis, and I definitely gravitate more towards one over the other! I think in the long run if you stick to neutrals and get the staple sizes that work for you, then add one pop color that speaks to you then you have a pretty solid collection....

I think that as long as you get bags that you love and know will use, you should be ok. For example, if you love the boys and get one black and one beige, then you have a bag for a certain type of outfits and another for other types. It doesn't really matter that they are the same kind of bag if that's what you love. Now, if you want a boy in black with GHW, a boy in black with SHW, a boy in black with enamel HW, .... You get my point....then your collection might get a bit big and you may not use all of the bags. Just go with your gut. I think a black, a neutral, and a pop of color is really all anyone NEEDS. Now....in terms of what we all WANT...that's a different story. ;)

Yes! As a matter of fact, that very thought has been on my mind all week. I have downsized tremendously selling most of my Balenciaga's, LV's, etc. I have last few years been buying more Chanel. Completely addicting! Even the other brand bags I sold from 07 and 08 were in pristine condition because as has been noted " you can only carry one at a time." And, my crazy lifestyle with children and work commitments and date night with hubby , doesn't usually allow me time to switch bags in a day.
So, I have a couple jumbos, couple reissue 226, and one of other bags such as WOC, mini, M/l flap and CWC. I love pulling out my bags and staring adoringly, but I am not using each enough as there are time and place suitable for each. I am on the hunt for a Birken but that realistically may take awhile to receive.
As much ask don't NEED these bags or more for that matter, I can't seem to stop. It is very addicting. Though, I am no longer an impulse buyer like i was in my 20's. Each bag is now carefully selected and loved!

I think that as long as you get bags that you love and know will use, you should be ok. For example, if you love the boys and get one black and one beige, then you have a bag for a certain type of outfits and another for other types. It doesn't really matter that they are the same kind of bag if that's what you love. Now, if you want a boy in black with GHW, a boy in black with SHW, a boy in black with enamel HW, .... You get my point....then your collection might get a bit big and you may not use all of the bags. Just go with your gut. I think a black, a neutral, and a pop of color is really all anyone NEEDS. Now....in terms of what we all WANT...that's a different story. ;)

+1 well said LovEmAll

I have given pretty careful thought to each bag I've added over time so that I do not have "extras" (for lack of a better word) just sitting around in my closet doing nothing. Some however do lean towards seasonal, so they have their 'moment of glory' during their 'in' season. lol

I think in the long run if you stick to neutrals and get the staple sizes that work for you, then add one pop color that speaks to you then you have a pretty solid collection....

100% agree with this.

I went wild over Balenciagas years ago. I was on TPF religiously and got into the whole buy sell buy sell routine. Reading forums fuels the fire because you see colors and styles that otherwise you would not have known existed. Also seeing previews of the following seasons etc all adds to it. At one point I had maybe 8 Balenciagas or so and the more I had, the more overwhelmed I started to feel. I felt like I was suffocating and each time I opened my wardrobe doors where they were kept I would look at all of them and not know which one to use. A best friend said something that stuck with me. She said something along the lines of but Karen you're sitting on the computer and behind you is a pile of Balenciagas. It wasn't those exact words but I know what she meant. I eventually started filling my time doing other things and as soon as that happened the buy/sell/buy/sell stopped. I sold the bags and kept 3 only and guess what? I love those 3 and I don't miss what I sold.

Another friend who was in the whole buy/sell mentality like me called and asked if I liked 'the so and so bag' by Balenciaga. I had no idea what she was talking about. It was some new style. I told her I don't follow what is the latest and greatest anymore and to be honest (I said to myself) I didn't miss knowing and felt 'free.'

Now with Chanel I really do feel done because I literally got all my fave colors on my personal wish list (thx to forums helping educate me). I think that as soon as it starts to feel overwhelming again and like I'm drowning in bags, then thats when its time to downsize. When I can't decide which bag to use because there's so many its time to downsize. When I have bags in that collection that I hardly touch for months and months on end its time to downsize. At least that's my test.

The more bags you have, the less you will use them. It's math.

If you are A COLLECTOR though then that's completely different. Then you are buying to keep and collect.

For me, I just want to use what I have by keeping the rotation tight and varied. Otherwise, suffocation time!

Last edited:
Wow! Karen nicely put!!!!!

"Reading forums fuels the fire because you see colors and styles that otherwise you would not have known existed. " VERY TRUE!

And I happened to have different SAs texting me Tue and Wed with all the different new arrivals! Gosh! So hard to concentrate!

100% agree with this.

I went wild over Balenciagas years ago. I was on TPF religiously and got into the whole buy sell buy sell routine. Reading forums fuels the fire because you see colors and styles that otherwise you would not have known existed. Also seeing previews of the following seasons etc all adds to it. At one point I had maybe 8 Balenciagas or so and the more I had, the more overwhelmed I started to feel. I felt like I was suffocating and each time I opened my wardrobe doors where they were kept I would look at all of them and not know which one to use. A best friend said something that stuck with me. She said something along the lines of but Karen you're sitting on the computer and behind you is a pile of Balenciagas. It wasn't those exact words but I know what she meant. I eventually started filling my time doing other things and as soon as that happened the buy/sell/buy/sell stopped. I sold the bags and kept 3 only and guess what? I love those 3 and I don't miss what I sold.

Another friend who was in the whole buy/sell mentality like me called and asked if I liked 'the so and so bag' by Balenciaga. I had no idea what she was talking about. It was some new style. I told her I don't follow what is the latest and greatest anymore and to be honest (I said to myself) I didn't miss knowing and felt 'free.'

Now with Chanel I really do feel done because I literally got all my fave colors on my personal wish list (thx to forums helping educate me). I think that as soon as it starts to feel overwhelming again and like I'm drowning in bags, then thats when its time to downsize. When I can't decide which bag to use because there's so many its time to downsize. When I have bags in that collection that I hardly touch for months and months on end its time to downsize. At least that's my test.

The more bags you have, the less you will use them. It's math.

If you are A COLLECTOR though then that's completely different. Then you are buying to keep and collect.

For me, I just want to use what I have by keeping the rotation tight and varied. Otherwise, suffocation time!

Lately as I have been modifying my collection in efforts to perfect it for "me," I have find I have or am wanting certain bags in the same size but different color and others the same color but different size. I am afraid with these wants I will end up with items not used enough. I believe in using everything I have.

Is anyone else afraid you will over do it?

Do you have repetitive bags? Do they all get use? Or is it better to have different sizes in different colors (ex. M/l in beige, jumbo in black)? Do you prefer to have only one of a style?

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

I would say I have done it with other brands. I went through a MiuMiu and Balenciaga phase where I had the same style of bag in 6 different colors. Then felt sick and sold them all. Then I did it with Celine Luggage & Phantoms.. had 5 at the same time in grey and black just some were embossed. Then sold them ALL! I swore to myself.. NEVER AGAIN. So far so good. Only one Antigona. Only one Falabella. Only one YSL clutch.

I exclude Chanel and Hermes as I feel those bags are more like collectors pieces for me. They arent 'it' bags which I soon tire from. However I do try to keep a large amount of variety in my collection when it comes to style, hardwear, color, leather and size.

I have a few jumbos yet none are similar enough to be replaced by another. Same with my mediums. Ive never done the buy a black chanel flap and then buy the identical one just one size smaller. That wouldnt work for me personally.. then the guilt would start!!

I am not a collector. I tend to have all sorts of sizes in different colors. Like you said, jumbo in black, m/l in beige. I do not have duplicates except 225s. They are dainty date bags in seasonal colors. I like it this way. Thankfully I do not have a desire to own all sorts of colors in 1 size. I am aware that I will not have opportunities to use them all as a busy working mom.