Afraid of getting robbed

snow0160

Jul 23, 2012
I have searched past threads and people have definitely gotten robbed before. This is my worst nightmare. I have homeowners insurance and it covers a lot but some things can't be replaced because they are one of a kind. Many items also have sentimental values. I just built my new closet and everything is organized and nicely displayed. My mom came and said I made it convenient to have someone rob me. I know my mom keeps jewelry in a vault at the bank but that seems extreme. I have four dogs, insurance, and home security. I don't post images of my things on FB or social media. I am not sure what else I can do. I figured people on a designer purse forum must have some great advice. What do you guys do?

I am aware of photos posted on tpf--
no location tags, compromising info. covered/blurred.
And refuse to use facebook, twitter, etc.

Have bank box.
And safes.
Security cameras. Trained dog.
Have useful training/skills myself.
Also monitor for identity theft.

Mainly, I don't wander around, resembling a terrified victim. Or oblivious, on mobile phone & internet.
Feel no need to show/tell everyone about my everything. Even people I know irl.
Trust is earned.

Do I post some stuff here? Sure.
Am I aware, when doing that? Absolutely.
Could someone track me down to steal whatever? Possibly.
But a traffic accident is much more likely.
Or just losing items, when I'm out jumping about & being goofy.

It is stuff. Our bodies, in truth, are stuff. Our hearts, our moments--nothing is guaranteed. And nothing will stay forever.
There will be loss.
Despite careful planning, re-planning, extra re-planning. There will be loss.
And, yes, it will hurt. But, again, not forever.

Remember there will be gains & tremendously brain-slapping terrificness in life, too.
Don't miss it, because of fear.
Do your best. Then enjoy.

Hope helps.:flowers:

There's a way to insure your high-value items separately from your general homeowner's policy. These add-on policies are called riders or inland marine policies. They require good photos and appraisals to prove value. Record keeping may help you feel more calm if you're overly concerned.

At the same time, look into why you're worried : Is it warranted--are you in a high-crime area, or otherwise statistically likely to be victimized? Or are you overthinking this? Hopefully it isn't just because your mother made you nervous.

Reactions: PewPew and snow0160
I am aware of photos posted on tpf--
no location tags, compromising info. covered/blurred.
And refuse to use facebook, twitter, etc.

Have bank box.
And safes.
Security cameras. Trained dog.
Have useful training/skills myself.
Also monitor for identity theft.

Mainly, I don't wander around, resembling a terrified victim. Or oblivious, on mobile phone & internet.
Feel no need to show/tell everyone about my everything. Even people I know irl.
Trust is earned.

Do I post some stuff here? Sure.
Am I aware, when doing that? Absolutely.
Could someone track me down to steal whatever? Possibly.
But a traffic accident is much more likely.
Or just losing items, when I'm out jumping about & being goofy.

It is stuff. Our bodies, in truth, are stuff. Our hearts, our moments--nothing is guaranteed. And nothing will stay forever.
There will be loss.
Despite careful planning, re-planning, extra re-planning. There will be loss.
And, yes, it will hurt. But, again, not forever.

Remember there will be gains & tremendously brain-slapping terrificness in life, too.
Don't miss it, because of fear.
Do your best. Then enjoy.

Hope helps.:flowers:

How beautiful! I love your writing [emoji4] and really appreciate the message.

Reactions: remainsilly
I'd suggest built-in, discreet (and by discreet, I mean some place robbers would never think to look, like tucked in your pantry behind boxes of cereals), fire-proof wall safe for items that can't be replaced, like family heirlooms. For items that would just mainly be a hassle to replace (jewelry I've bought myself, purses, etc.), I realize they're fleeting anyway.

Reactions: snow0160
I have searched past threads and people have definitely gotten robbed before. This is my worst nightmare.

THAT'S your worst nightmare?

Mine is a major, catastrophic injury or disease that leaves me immobilized and unable to care for myself. My mobility and independence is my greatest treasure whether I have 'stuff' or not.

Second on the list is a loss of home due to weather or fire.

THAT'S your worst nightmare?

Mine is a major, catastrophic injury or disease that leaves me immobilized and unable to care for myself. My mobility and independence is my greatest treasure whether I have 'stuff' or not.

Second on the list is a loss of home due to weather or fire.

Given your literal interpretations of everything, life must be very difficult for you.