Afraid of Buying New LV!

happypiano

O.G.
Mar 17, 2010
Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of luxury items, and Louis Vuitton is responsible for pulling me in! :P I really want to own a Speedy 30, but I'm honestly very scared at the thought of carrying around a $700 bag. I'm afraid that I won't be using it to its fullest because I'll be constantly worried about damaging it or getting it dirty.

I've been looking into pre-loved bags on ebay because #1) they're cheaper, and #2) they aren't so new and holy-looking. But a big part of me wants a new bag to call my own that hasn't been owned by another! :pout:

I'm sure most of you have many expensive purses and such, so it might not be emotionally stressful for you lol. The most money I've shelled out for a bag was like $60-something for my Northface backpack.

Can someone give me advice or share their experience with overcoming the initial phase of owning a mighty expensive bag?

Well, how would you get the Speedy dirty? It's dark, unless you're talking about the light leather on the monogram.
OMG eBay..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
There are people who sell authenic, you can always have it authenticated on here, but I would not chance it.

LV is expensive, but you'll be buying a bag that's good for everyday use. When I bought mine, I didn't have anything to overcome besides "which bag should I get", because I already knew higher end purses=more money.

Besides, I spend about the same amount of money on my hair once in a blue, so that's how I pretty much justified it, if you will. :smile:

I say for your first bag, get it new. You will probably feel guilty a day or so after your purchase due to the sticker shock. But everytime you pull your brand new bag out of its dustbag, all of your guilt just melts away. Before you know it, you are pondering what your next LV will be and then the rest is history.

So go for it!!

As for worrying about the bag, just make sure your hands are clean and your bag should be fine. In a few months of using it in the sun, it will turn into a gorgeous honey color and then you'll have even less to worry about. Your mono speedy could look gorgeous for 10 or 20 years! You will definitely be getting your money worth.

Honestly, I was in your boat just 4 months ago! I actually bought a mono speedy 30 off the bay because I was feeling guilty about paying full price. After I received it, I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Luckily, the seller had a 14 day return policy. It just didn't feel right because I knew it wasn't new and who knew where it had been-LOL.

Anyways, in January I took the big plunge and went to the LV boutique for my very own, brand spanking new mono speedy 30! I haven't regretted it for a second! I was extremely cautious and paranoid carrying her at first. I did get a small raindrop on the inner part of a handle and cried! After that initial experience, I'm not as paranoid anymore. I am very careful-carry an umbrella and plastic bag in my speedy for the next time I'm caught unexpectedly in the rain. I love her and I know you'd love one too!

I wouldnt cross out Ebay but you have to know what to look out for if not you can have it authenticated on the forum. There are also some websites that sell pre-owned as well. It is hard sometimes to carry around more expensive purse for fear of ruining. I would say look into the Damier Ebene line the handles are dark and wont wear like the patina will on the Mono. Oy maybe you can start out with a less expensive Louis like the pochette or mini pochette to get you introduced and more used to carrying around a little more expensive handbag. I hope this helps and good luck! We are here to help!

Get it new if you can and have the sales girl, or gent, wrap it up in a pretty box with all the trimmings. The first bag is the hardest, but you will quickly come to see it as something practical, well loved and well used. A speedy is one of the most classic bags in all of fashion you really can't go wrong there. I'll also give you kudos for jumping straight to LV instead of spending a year or two buying almost but not quite right bags. (hmm can we count that as savings?)

Spending that much money on a bag, especially for your first luxury bag, is very scary! The feelings of buyer's remorse can be overwhelming sometimes! I too wouldn't rule out ebay as an option. There is also a list of reputable re-sellers in the LV shopping subforum (I believe) and other website you can look at etc. I would recommend that whatever you do though (short of buying in the boutique) to get it authenticated here. You could always go to the boutique and pick out your speedy and bring it home, keep it for a few days and see how you feel....if the buyer's remorse is too much you can always return it and purchased a pre-loved one on Ebay. I bought my first LV speedy and wallet when I was in college and I remember worrying about the money but once I had that bag and wallet in my hand I was fine! And, I ended up using it far more than I ever expected! Good luck with your decision, hopefully you'll be doing a reveal soon!

I agree with the majority on here. Get your bag BRAND NEW and you will love it! Also, you will be able to take care of it from the very beginning so you could carry it for years to come. Mono canvas is pretty darn resilient, I took both my Accessories Pochette and Speedy 35 to college parties and they all managed to still look fabulous after one too many shots :P

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who went through this! I'm a student with a part-time job, so for the first time ever, I have my own money to spend. =D

I have two exams next week, so my boyfriend said that I should buy it in the store instead of ebay after my exams... kinda like a little (ok, big) treat for my "hard work." Hehe.

I honestly have not been able to concentrate on my studies because of LV!! :roflmfao: Ok, seriously, I've dreamt about Louis Vuitton bags for the last three nights. :shocked:

Hmmm....before my louis vuitton NF, i had guess? bags and bags from Winners...I'm a student too, so spending 800 on a bag was a bit much for me to handle...But i bought it and really...there's nothing more special than shopping and picking out your own bag at a boutique, it's kinda addictive actually :smile: So from one "poor, working student" to another, getting a bag brand new is really worth the price you pay :smile:

Also, this feeling of spending too much on a bag isn't gonna go away...i found that out recently when I banned myself from Prada and Gucci and started saving for a mc speedy (approx. 2400-2500 inclusive of tax), now i have the money to buy it but i still feel like that's WAYYYYY too much for one bag, albeit a luxury bag lol.

PS. Just thought I'd mention that LV's canvas can take beatings, lots of them. The only "dirt/damageable" bits are the vachetta leather and LV can replace all the leather bits for a small fee :smile:

Last edited:
I say buy a new bag. You will be spending a few hundred on ebay anway, you might as well spend a little more for a brand new one. Whenever I get a new bag I am always scared to use it at first. Once I wear it for the first time the fear goes away.

Hmmm....before my louis vuitton NF, i had guess? bags and bags from Winners...I'm a student too, so spending 800 on a bag was a bit much for me to handle...But i bought it and really...there's nothing more special than shopping and picking out your own bag at a boutique, it's kinda addictive actually :smile: So from one "poor, working student" to another, getting a bag brand new is really worth the price you pay :smile:

Also, this feeling of spending too much on a bag isn't gonna go away...i found that out recently when I banned myself from Prada and Gucci and started saving for a mc speedy (approx. 2400-2500 inclusive of tax), now i have the money to buy it but i still feel like that's WAYYYYY too much for one bag, albeit a luxury bag lol.

PS. Just thought I'd mention that LV's canvas can take beatings, lots of them. The only "dirt/damageable" bits are the vachetta leather and LV can replace all the leather bits for a small fee :smile:

Hi fellow poor, working student! :P I really want to buy more LV bags in the future, but I'm also reluctant to sacrifice things like clothes. Have you had any problems with the guilt that comes with buying luxury items and it interfering with buying other stuff?

I've read a little about replacing the leather. Can you specify what a "small" fee would be? :sweatdrop: I'm sure that I'll wash my hands 10 times a day while carrying the Mono Speedy.