Afraid of buying a Chanel handbag.

Definitely keep us up to date with your Chanel purchase! Look forward to seeing it! I like my LV bags and also my sizable collection of other designers including Chanel. Branching out is fun.

I've never had any quality issues with multiple purchases from Chanel, yet my LV Delightful's canvas cracked within two years. Does that mean LV canvas bags are crap quality? I certainly wouldn't say that. Anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. I will say though from what I've observed, it does seem like whatever quality issues they are more likely to happen with classics than with seasonals. But once again, this is based on anecdotes and I could be wrong. If you are afraid of spending a large chunk of money at once, you could always start by purchasing a SLG or a preloved vintage at a reasonable price like other posters prudently suggested.

Hi Calflu. Thank you for the link to the MINI Flap thread.
I am going to take my time to make a Chanel handbag purchase. I will most likely end up buying one in a department store. Maybe it is not necessary to do so, but I feel that if there is a problem a department store may go out of their way to resolve any potential quality problem.

I think Calflu is right to say we hear immediately about any flaws or perceived flaws in Chanel products, while perhaps praise of good quality is expressed less explicitly. However, I interpret the thousands of photos that have been posted throughout the years in the Chanel forum that gush about how gorgeous the lambskin is, or the color, or the hardware, as endorsing Chanel´s high quality. Every brand has flaws. I don´t think flaws are super common with Chanel, but they exist. It depends on how sensitive one is to variations, also. Good customer service is key in this regard, as is checking over your intended purchase before taking it home.

Understandably, people may have higher expectations at the Chanel price point than at a slightly lower price point. I have not had any issues with quality. I also find SAs to be wonderful, overwhelmingly. I actually have only had bad experiences with LV SAs! So you see, everyone´s experiences are different.

I have heard that vintage quality is superior. I do not know if this is true but maybe check out some vintage Chanel?

Reactions: Bags_4_life
I think Calflu is right to say we hear immediately about any flaws or perceived flaws in Chanel products, while perhaps praise of good quality is expressed less explicitly. However, I interpret the thousands of photos that have been posted throughout the years in the Chanel forum that gush about how gorgeous the lambskin is, or the color, or the hardware, as endorsing Chanel´s high quality. Every brand has flaws. I don´t think flaws are super common with Chanel, but they exist. It depends on how sensitive one is to variations, also. Good customer service is key in this regard, as is checking over your intended purchase before taking it home.

Understandably, people may have higher expectations at the Chanel price point than at a slightly lower price point. I have not had any issues with quality. I also find SAs to be wonderful, overwhelmingly. I actually have only had bad experiences with LV SAs! So you see, everyone´s experiences are different.

I have heard that vintage quality is superior. I do not know if this is true but maybe check out some vintage Chanel?

I registered on PurseForum six years ago. And back at this time I remember reading these same stories about "vintage quality being better". Actually there's no proof. People say the same about LV (they even try to compare recent and old canvas to see which one is thicker... lol) but it's not as easy as it seems. Materials have changed. Hardware has changed. Details have changed a lot ! But who can prove that it was better before ? What I can tell you is that of course Chanel bags are very expensive for what it is, but the quality is still here. If you can afford the bag and if you're really in love with it, then buy it, care for it and you should never have any problem. And even if you have one, Chanel customer service is excellent. Good luck deciding !

Reactions: Bags_4_life
I think you should get at least one Chanel, especially before the next price increase or preloved route. I have bags from all kind of designers but I told myself I gotta have at least one Chanel flap. So I got a preloved in new condition in the cavier GHW. Best decision ever even though it's sitting mostly in the closet.
I, too, just bought my first and only Chanel (I wanted at least one Chanel in my collection) preloved. It's a vintage classic flap, and I couldn't be happier. Take a look at all Chanel has to offer; narrow down to your favorite style, color, leather type, hardware; and then take the plunge either preloved or new. I don't think you'll ever regret owning at least one Chanel.
Where did you buy your vintage classic flap?

I registered on PurseForum six years ago. And back at this time I remember reading these same stories about "vintage quality being better". Actually there's no proof. People say the same about LV (they even try to compare recent and old canvas to see which one is thicker... lol) but it's not as easy as it seems. Materials have changed. Hardware has changed. Details have changed a lot ! But who can prove that it was better before ? What I can tell you is that of course Chanel bags are very expensive for what it is, but the quality is still here. If you can afford the bag and if you're really in love with it, then buy it, care for it and you should never have any problem. And even if you have one, Chanel customer service is excellent. Good luck deciding !

Speaking of thicker materials used before with lv, I finally understand the comparison. I just bought preowned canvas speedy that's 33 years old. The canvas is indeed thicker, sturdier, the leather tabs/ pieces are thicker as well and so are the metal parts. It weighs substantially more than my newer speedys. My second oldest speedy was made in 2008 and the canvas is thinner but my 2011 speedy is truly the lightest weight of all! I certainly didn't know this if I hadn't gotten the 1982 speedy!

I think you should get at least one Chanel, especially before the next price increase or preloved route. I have bags from all kind of designers but I told myself I gotta have at least one Chanel flap. So I got a preloved in new condition in the cavier GHW. Best decision ever even though it's sitting mostly in the closet.

I think that I just inherited your preloved flap...noticed your post on the authenticatation feed #smallworld

Reactions: janellec